Darren Lockyer - champion

There should be more threads like this icon_thumbs_u

Joining in the Locky love-fest.

How was it on Sunday when he came up with ball after the Raiders kicked it at the line, and the week before when he intercepted off the sharks? Little plays like that make him the super Champ!

I have said it many times I'd turn for Lockyer he is a deadset Champion player and champion bloke. May he be involved with the Broncos forever!

Yes, Langer was a better ball player that Lockyer by a long shot. But, the reason why I think Lockyer was a better player is because of the impact he had on the team throughout his career. Just the things he did to turn a game and win it, the way players all stepped up and played like a team because Lockyer made them - Truly amazing.
Theres no doubting Lockyer's qualities as a player but Langer by far had a greater influence on the sides he directed around the park and could turn matches around a lot more frequently and in a quicker timeframe, I lost count of the amount of times he would put on consecutive tries via the playmaking or the individual brilliance he brought to the side through his ballskills and natural football ability and there aren't many in the games history where they have brought about rule changes because they have become too good at something.

Lets also not forget this is the little champion who proved his toughness at the toughest level of the game before he even entered the NSWRL competition with many doubters including the Queensland coach and captain not wanting him there cause of his size. I don't doubt Lockyer's toughness, but Langer has proven himself tougher over his career.

Langer and Lockyer, now that's a tough comparison, especially when I think of their respective influences over their club and state teams....

The reason Langer looked to some people as though he had a great impact on a game IMO was because he had a better combination. Langer, walters, renouf and johns had a great and long serving combination, while Lockyer has never really had a player on either side of him season in and season out. Put a rep level player either side of him for three or four seasons and see how he looks. Langer was great, really great, but locky is poetry in motion.

Good call Chumba. How good is it with Thurston inside him and Inglis outside him for Qld/Aus.

oooohhhh

Chumba said:
The reason Langer looked to some people as though he had a great impact on a game IMO was because he had a better combination. Langer, walters, renouf and johns had a great and long serving combination, while Lockyer has never really had a player on either side of him season in and season out. Put a rep level player either side of him for three or four seasons and see how he looks. Langer was great, really great, but locky is poetry in motion.

I disagree with Lockyer not having the players around him to work with both in his times in at fullback and at 5/8th, you obviously missed his time at fullback from 1997-1999 when he was very much playing the role of a second 5/8th with quality players all around him, even past then there were more then enough quality players that a lot of other clubs could only dream about, Priddis, Ikin, Webcke, Civoniceva, Berrigan, Carroll, Hunt and Hodges, Devere, Tallis, Sailor, Tuqiri are hardly second class players who would struggle to make any side you could name from the Broncos history, I will grant that the sides weren't on paper as good, but were still always capable of winning the premiership and we have underperformed a lot since 2002 which is funnily enough Langer's last season.

It really doesn't matter though in the end and I agree lets not turn it into a langer vs lockyer thing, lets just admire his abilities.

My favourite player of all time. My favourite moment from him isn't a Broncos moment though, it's that try he scored in Origin 2006. "Intercepted by LOCKY!"

GCBRONCO said:
Chumba said:

I disagree with Lockyer not having the players around him to work with both in his times in at fullback and at 5/8th, you obviously missed his time at fullback from 1997-1999 when he was very much playing the role of a second 5/8th with quality players all around him, even past then there were more then enough quality players that a lot of other clubs could only dream about, Priddis, Ikin, Webcke, Civoniceva, Berrigan, Carroll, Hunt and Hodges, Devere, Tallis, Sailor, Tuqiri are hardly second class players who would struggle to make any side you could name from the Broncos history, I will grant that the sides weren't on paper as good, but were still always capable of winning the premiership and we have underperformed a lot since 2002 which is funnily enough Langer's last season.

It really doesn't matter though in the end and I agree lets not turn it into a langer vs lockyer thing, lets just admire his abilities.

NO! you obviously missed the point. Who has Lockyer had as his Halfback and Dummy Half??? Langer's combination with Kevin Walters his brother Kerrod was a huge part of his impact at he broncos... and I would take Renouf and Johns over Hodges and Devere or Berrigan any day. I never said any of those guys were second rate, those are your words, but in the positions that matter, the positions around the players in question, Langer had better players sending hime the ball and better players running tino positions for him to pass the ball to.

Alec said:
My favourite player of all time. My favourite moment from him isn't a Broncos moment though, it's that try he scored in Origin 2006. "Intercepted by LOCKY!"
I love that moment

Rabs: Intercepted by Locky! Locky!
Sterling: He's scored!
Gus: OHHH NOOO

Alec said:

Mine also aint an Origin moment...

SOO 1 2001, Lang Park

First try of the match, Darren takes the ball on the full from a Kimmorley kick, puts Lote into a hole and Lote runs a good 40 metres before returning the ball to Locky to score under the black dot..

Dont know, It was just something about that season!

chips rafferty said:
Alec said:

Mine also aint an Origin moment...

SOO 1 2001, Lang Park

First try of the match, Darren takes the ball on the full from a Kimmorley kick, puts Lote into a hole and Lote runs a good 40 metres before returning the ball to Locky to score under the black dot..

Dont know, It was just something about that season!

Yeah, that was the first year after the wankstain Mundine show left our game. Never been better since.

Renegade said:
Alec said:
I love that moment

Rabs: Intercepted by Locky! Locky!
Sterling: He's scored!
Gus: OHHH NOOO

That made me laugh so much (in between my screaming and shock of disbelief). It was a moment that no one wanted to have a microphone in front of them.

That moment for me, isn't my favourite Locky moment. It is one of my more recent favourite Origin moments. It wasn't the try and the fact we had stolen victory from the jaws of defeat, it was the fact that before Locky could move, half his team were on top of him, in a massive man-love exhibition!!!

QUEENSLANDER!!!!!11

Personally my favourite Locky moment isn't one particular moment. It's a weekend.

Think back to April 1998. Locky makes his official Test debut off the bench, and early on has to replace Robbie O'Davis who is injured. The game is being played in deepest darkest Auckland, and it's a wet night.

The Kiwis target a young Lockyer with grubber after grubber, and Lockyer makes mistake after mistake. He keeps trying, but it's just not his night. NZ win the game.

2 days later, after an absolute BAGGING in the press, he comes out for the Broncos against Norths. The Broncos win 60-6, and Lockyer is an absolute dynamo in the game. One particular try he scored he dived full length to catch a bomb in goal.

He never looked back.

To me, that epitomised Lockyer. He never let adversity get him down, he keeps his head no matter what the situation. An absolute champion.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Broncorob
  • Mighty Bronx
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.