Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
Darren Lockyer concedes Tevita Pangai Jr will be hard to retain

APRIL 02, 2019

Source: Courier Mail

Last edited by a moderator:
Fullback James Tedesco is the Roosters’ highest-paid player on around $950,000 and the Bondi club does not believe Pangai Jr is in his class just yet.

Is that a typo? I think they meant $350,000.

Regarding TPJ, we have a lot of talent in the forwards coming through, we can't afford to throw too much money at him, we already have a number of players on marquee salaries.

Rather keep Fifita.

In terms of priority (I'm taking Oates' word that he won't be signing anywhere else so I won't include him), I'd rate it as, in terms of priority signings: 1. Fifita, 2. Dearden/ whatever half is identified, 3. Lodge, 4. TPJ/ Carrigan. We already have Su'a and Haas signed.

If shit gets real we could always go after Arrow who is off contract soon.

Last edited:
In terms of priority (I'm taking Oates' word that he won't be signing anywhere else so I won't include him), I'd rate it as, in terms of priority signings: 1. Fifita, 2. Dearden/ whatever half is identified, 3. Lodge, 4. TPJ/ Carrigan. We already have Su'a and Haas signed.

Should never have lost him (Arrow).

I'd rather put my stock in carrigan instead of trying to lure arrow back.

Honestly, If we're paying that much for a player I'd be giving every cent to Fifita. He has shown more consistency and just as much impact (but in a different way) than TPJ ever has. We can't keep them all and if we had to lose TPJ to keep a player like Fifita - I have no problem with that.

When is this kid off contract?

Forget TPJ, the Broncs should throw the chequebook at him.

I have a feeling it may coincide with Boyd finishing up. If we have to put up with another two years of Boyd in order to get this kid on board, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Does Lockyer even try to retain and recruit players?

Interesting he doesn’t put milf in the $1m category...wonder who opened the cheque book there.

Hopefully some decent TPAs to at least be at the table & if he can’t be kept then at the very least bluff the chooks into paying overs

When is this kid off contract?

Forget TPJ, the Broncs should throw the chequebook at him.

I have a feeling it may coincide with Boyd finishing up. If we have to put up with another two years of Boyd in order to get this kid on board, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Signed through to the end of 2021 (Jesus that felt weird to type out. Time flies) apparently.

Interesting he doesn’t put milf in the $1m category...wonder who opened the cheque book there.

Hopefully some decent TPAs to at least be at the table & if he can’t be kept then at the very least bluff the chooks into paying overs

It could be a technicality. Is Milford actually on the salary cap at $1M? I seem to remember he was in the $900K range and with TPAs he cracked the $1M mark. However, I could be wrong, it has been know to happen before.

Then...you thinking what I'm thinking?
Yeah, it would be good to keep an eye on his development and attitude. If he progresses well and goes to his potential, we should recruit the Roosters accountants, free up $3M from Boyd retiring and sign him for minimum wage.

I think I am B2.

Last edited:
**** the Roosters and their rubbery salary cap accounting. There is no way they can fit TPJ in under the cap and the NRL needs to get a forensic accountant in there if they sign TJP.

Active Now

• Pablo
  • Skyblues87
  • RodF
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Battler
  • Hurrijo
  • Sproj
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Scorchie
  • Fitzy
  • broncsgoat
  • Splinter
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.