Darren Lockyer Retirement plans?

Porthoz said:
Coxy said:
Nashy said:
If he isn't here. The Broncos are nothing more than another NRL club.

Not to me. And not to many other diehard fans like me.

The Broncos isn't about who's coach, who's playing, even where we finish. It's the attitude on the field and the commitment to the chess piece on their chests.

I felt like that was something that was being eroded with Henjak there, but Hook seems to at this stage have reinvigorated that pride. You only need look at the defence and the desperation to see it.

There's still Parker and Thaiday who typify the Broncos' spirit. Josh Hoffman looks every bit a Bronco player in attitude and commitment. Even Hodges who I don't have a lot of time for, he's as passionate about the club as anyone.

People had similar fears about the Broncos when Alfie retired, particularly when Renouf, Peter Ryan and Andrew Gee all left the same season. Life went on.

Life will go on.

Broncos for life.
This ^^^^^
Left a tear in my eye... sniff [icon_wink
Guys the common denominator in all that was WB. I think thats where everyone is missing the point. We need him back now, more than ever!

The sentimental feelings we have towards the club make it special to us and always will, but the cutting edge factor that has, IMO, kept us a cut above most other clubs for so long was the influence of Bennett and most recently, Lockyer. Last season aside of course seeing as we missed the finals (we probably would have scraped in had Lockyer not been injured).

I'm not saying we're completely rooted by any means, but I just fear something will be missing now that Lockyer is hanging up the boots and if Bennett doesn't come back. The main elements that have made this club so great for so long will no longer be there, so what will it take for us to maintain what we seen and come to expect from our beloved Broncos over the last 20 odd years?

I'm pretty sure that is the last 'footballer' from the old school era. That's that.

Without a doubt the BEST. No.1 IMO.

In terms of retirement plans I'm not sure about Locky the coach, who knows?! IMO - he plays instinctively, support play, grinds it out, directs traffic now, outside the box plays, clutch plays etc. Whether he's going to be a game plan sort of man... I don't know. Definitely not yet. A lot of work would have to go into it but I just don't see how it would be fun for him at all.

No, some of you don't get it. Let me say it again. The Broncos won't ever just be "any other NRL club". They're MY club. I don't care if Brad Fittler's coaching us. They're still MY club.

What others think of our club? Couldn't give a flying ****.

Old Mate said:
Peter Wallace will become god with Bennett. Fact.

Wallace will not be a bronco after this contract.

Coxy said:
No, some of you don't get it. Let me say it again. The Broncos won't ever just be "any other NRL club". They're MY club. I don't care if Brad Fittler's coaching us. They're still MY club.

What others think of our club? Couldn't give a flying ****.

I don't think you get where I'm coming from. Of course the club is always going to be special to you, just like St George is special to St George fans, Newcastle is special to Newcastle fans etc etc.

What I'm talking about isn't the sentimental feelings that fans hold towards the club, nor is it about other fans perception of us. It's about the clubs ability to keep up a standard of excellence. If we don't get the Bennett factor back now that Lockyer is retiring, I fear that we won't be a powerhouse in league anymore. I don't want to sound like a glory hunter or fairweather fan, I will always support the Broncos. I just want the best for the club, and I think the best thing for the club at this point in time would be to get Bennett back, particularly now that Lockyer isn't playing on past this season.

I dunno, I think the club has built itself a reputation and culture that will still be attractive to players, both young local players and established stars. We have the best training facilities in the league. We have the best portfolio of corporate support. We play at the best stadium in the competition. It's Brisbane...hello, best city in Australia.

I don't think we need a marquee player or coach to keep our standards high.

Well said Coxy.

I think people are worried because there might not be an iconic playmaker at the club, the likes of Wally, Kevvy, Alfie or Locky.
We've obviously been very lucky to have such players throughout our history, but we have to remember that although they helped build our brand, the Broncos are the pinnacle of Rugby League club wise and we won't have difficulties attracting marquee players, as long as we have a sound club structure.

If anything players will want to be our Langer or out Lockyer.

Jut like Steve micheals was our Lewis on field.

Scotty said:
It's about the clubs ability to keep up a standard of excellence. If we don't get the Bennett factor back now that Lockyer is retiring, I fear that we won't be a powerhouse in league anymore.

Unfortunately the salary cap has ensured that neither the Broncos nor any other club will again have the on-field standard of excellence or be a powerhouse club like we were in the 90s. If the current salary cap was in place back then, we would not have had the dominant teams we had.

Jeba said:
Round 26 Fri, Sep 2 - Mon, Sep 5 T.B.A Broncos Sea Eagles Suncorp Stadium

Make sure you are there.

I live in Adelaide but I just got my tickets. I'm coming up icon_thumbs_u

QUEENSLAND rugby league legend "King" Wally Lewis has made a frank admission - he never should have coached - as he cautioned Darren Lockyer about the pitfalls of taking a running leap into the coaching ranks.

Lewis told The Sunday-Mail he made a flawed and rushed decision to coach the Queensland Origin side in 1993 after his glittering playing career wound up only a season earlier.

With Lockyer considering coaching in the future, league immortal Lewis warned he would face the greatest challenge of his career as he tried to make the quantum leap from being a great player to being a great coach.

The "King" advised Lockyer to take at least his planned year away from football - and maybe even another year - and think long and hard about whether he wanted to dip his toe into the NRL coaching ranks.

"If I had my time over again, I never would have coached. It was something I certainly should not have done," Lewis told The Sunday Mail.

"I really didn't know whether coaching was something that I wanted to do but I had a whole heap of people in my ear, so I gave it a go.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl ... 6032546837

Very good advice.

I want him gone for at least 3 years before he even considers becoming a coach.

Might even be a good idea to have him on as a kicking/playmaking coach to start with to see if he even enjoys it.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/04/07/3185391.htm?site=sport&section=rugbyleague

Lockyer knocks back English offer
Updated April 7, 2011 19:43:00

Brisbane skipper Darren Lockyer has knocked back a lucrative offer from cashed-up English club Widnes to change his mind on retiring at the end of the season.

Lockyer, who announced last month that this would be his final season before hanging up the boots, said his family situation ruled out a stint in England.

The 34-year-old admitted the thought of a swansong in England had been something he had considered earlier in his career, but that his circumstances had now changed.

Widnes - coached by former Great Britain forward Denis Betts and bankrolled by millionaire chairman Steve O'Connor - is keen to make a big signing after winning promotion to the Super League for next season.

O'Connor made an approach to Lockyer through his manager George Mimis, hoping to entice the veteran playmaker to have a farewell campaign in England before giving the game away.

"I didn't hear anything directly, but George is friends with the Widnes owner," Lockyer said.

"Nothing has changed with my situation.

"Our son (Sunny) is nearly one, we're established in Brisbane and I wouldn't like to travel with a little one."

I have been asked what effect Wayne not going to the Broncos would have on my thoughts about one day being on the coaching staff at the Broncos - and the answer is none. Even if Wayne was coach for the next two years, I have no desire in the immediate future to go down the coaching path. I may do later.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl ... 6036193090

Good signs, I really hope Locky pays his dues as a coach.

Hopefully he takes time and has a go at coaching.lower levels before contemplating nrl.coaching

Seriously he is still one of best players in the competition.
Makes me more sad that he's retiring but I'm going to enjoy every game he plays while it lasts.

:(

Unread

Active Now

• Canga
  • PNG Broncos fan88
  • MrRobot
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.