OFFICIAL David Fifita signs with the Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no way in hell he's a $1m player. He's extremely inconsistent, has a poor work rate and is below average defensively.

Good on the Broncos for sticking to their guns and not budging from the $700K offer, I fully condone their actions. If he wants to chase the money, all power to him. An edge forward isn't going to make our break the club.

At least we aren't the only laughing stock in the competition right now. Titans originally offering $1m for Fifita but say that they will pay more if needed. Surprise, surprise, it's now up to $1.1m. Great strategy, Mal.

Let's keep all the Fifita contract discussion and debate in this thread ay boys. We had a few happening in different threads, just moved them all here.

No, Boyd signed for 2.5 over 4 years, that's 625 pa. The alleged offer from Tits is 1.1m pa which makes it 475k more. These are just unsubstantiated media claims as to the value. People love to say Boyd, Bird and Milford are all on a million but only Milford is confirmed.
I was referring to Cordner.

How does $700k not pay off the balance of what I assume is a modest home in suburban Brisbane?

Sounds like needs to get his Mum a money manager more than a pay rise.

Last edited:
There's no way in hell he's a $1m player. He's extremely inconsistent, has a poor work rate and is below average defensively.

Good on the Broncos for sticking to their guns and not budging from the $700K offer, I fully condone their actions. If he wants to chase the money, all power to him. An edge forward isn't going to make our break the club.
I'm not going to argue increments on whether he's worth 700, but not 850, etc, but fact is he and Haas are ones we should be building our pack around for the next decade. He is a game breaker and our best forward outside of Haas. It is no coincidence that we have been shithouse since he has been out injured. Would we have won every game if he wasn't? Absolutely not, but I bet we would've won more than zero.

I would happily let go of players like Offa, Lodge etc to keep Fifita.

Badel has a theory on why Fifita hasn't yet signed:

He reckons he and his mother are caught up in some kind of agent fiasco where his
"official manager, Steve Deacon, is not, in their eyes, his true manager." And until it's sorted out, he won't be signing anything with anyone.

Fifita was originally signed at 15, by Deacon's partner Michael Hudson, who later transferred him over - an agreement which expires in December. Badel claims the two are not currently speaking because of a "professional breakdown." Because Deacon and the Fifitas have never been close, David's mother Gwen has taken over negotiations. Consequently, they're reticent to see Deacon pocket a 6% commision, which could weigh in around $180,000 for a 3 million-dollar three-year deal. And even if Fifita splits with Deacon in December as planned, he'll still be entitled to a cut under NRL agency rules. But he doesn't think he deserves anything at all.

A compromise to minimise the payout would be to sign a one-year deal sometime soon. Then, once he's free of Deacon, he can look for a new manager to sign up for a major contract.

4f0ec123da0e041f456882581508858b

Not his mother.

The other issue is the cap. Fifita has already knocked back $1.2 million a season from Souths, because he doesn't fancy living in a rat infested fleapit. Meanwhile Brisbane can only pony up about $700,000 a year under their cap, and times are tough right now for third party arrangements. If it comes down to money, the Broncos might lose a bidding war with the Titans.

McHunt

Last edited:
How does $700k not pay off the balance of what I assume is a modest home in suburban Brisbane?

Taxes, management fees, his own living expenses?

I doubt it's just the club sticking to $700K because that's all they think he's worth. It's far more likely to be that we only have $700k to offer him in the cap next year.

Only Boyd and Kahu off the books, technically I suppose they need to account for Macca too until he lands a deal elsewhere.

Let him go, sick of his mercenary attitude.
Great player, will be a shame to see him gone, but all this contract fuckery has soured me on his integrity.
This club needs to be rebuilt with a loyal culture and dedicated players who know they will be looked after long term if they commit to the Broncos.
Legit sick of this Fifita nonsense in the middle of the worst crisis in the clubs history.

Cut him loose.

I would happily let go of players like Offa, Lodge etc to keep Fifita.

As would anyone with half a brain, unfortunately old boys Wayne & Paul signed that trash Joffa extension for $500K or so a year, and he's not in our best 17. Nobody will take that contract, he's barely a $300K player at the moment.

Maybe this is his manager trying to get more $$$ before he's punted.

he also wants to pay off his mothers house. Houses are expensive.
Are they? I hadn't noticed?

Not that anyone overly cares about David Fifita's mother's finances, but just to point out how ridiculous your point was:

700k minus tax is still just shy of 400k take home.

If your living expenses were absolutely ridiculous for a 20 year old, say $100k (AFTER TAX!) a year that would still leave him $300k for the year to pay off the house. Most households with dual incomes and kids in Brisbane have far less than $100K of after tax money to get by on, let alone David Fifita, a single male in a share house who likely pays for f*** all given he's an extremely well know footballer in a one team town, not to mention he also has a football club that provides nearly everything for him.

If the median Brisbane house price today is around $600k, minus the 20% deposit, that at most means she owes about 480K assuming she bought the place literally yesterday.

As she's an older woman though, you could reasonably assume the house was purchased a little earlier than yesterday, when house prices were undoubtedly lower, so the balance would quite likely be well inside the $300k David Fifita has leftover from just one year of his salary.

It's a ridiculous argument to try and defend.

Last edited:
As would anyone with half a brain, unfortunately old boys Wayne & Paul signed that trash Joffa extension for $600K or so a year, and he's not in our best 17. Nobody will take that contract, he's barely a $350K player at the moment.
I would pick up the half the tab for another club if it meant more money to keep Fifita. Fifita is a deadset superstar in waiting, he has taken to water every time he has stepped up to a new level, he is a must keep. We only have 2 games to go off this year but in those two games, 15 tackle busts, 57 tackles with only 3 missed, one penalty, averaging 152m a game. Tell me those aren't must keep stats from an admittedly very small sample.

edit: nm, looking at nrl 2019 stats for fifita now.

Last edited:

We can do the math:
If the contract is at 700k, first he pays 6% to his manager, that's 42k which leaves 658k. The simple tax calculator from the ato has the tax payable on that amount as a shade over 269k. That leaves his actual income before any expenses as 389k. That's still plenty of money but smaller than a lot of mortgages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.