OFFICIAL David Fifita signs with the Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
with all these people telling him to take the cash ... the question i have is, would any of them take the money and have the pressure of trying to build the Titans into a premiership force

It seemed like Benji was trying to worm out of the question to be fair. Then Ikin forced him to answer so he just gave a tongue in cheek answer.

It would have been hypocritical of Benji not to give that answer. Outside of the twilight of his career, all his decisions were based on money. He was a rare example of that junior player on ridiculous money that panned out.

Seriously, this NSW centric media bubble that the NRL has going on, while not surprising at all needs to fucking end. poopooing us, poopooing QLD trying to get the sporting teams plus the GF up here, blowing the Titans trumpet for no other reason than because they're mates with Tallis and Meninga....It's absolutely sickening and shamelessly transparent.
The NRL are in a lot of trouble up here I think. Afl made in roads when the lions made a 3peat but the afl couldn't follow through with it, but a lot of ppl are disillusioned with the NRL lately and if the afl gf and all their teams are up here they have a big opportunity.
My guess is the Broncos will miraculously turn their discipline around over the next 5-10 rounds and win the odd penalty count (not vs roosters, souffs, storm or eels of course). The Sydney centric NRL and NRL media have only scratched the surface of Brisbane ppl getting sick of the treatment it's getting. The Broncos success and then the maroons success (perfectly timed) has patched over a lot of holes, but the water is starting to leak and they don't even realise it yet. They think another team will fix it obviously but titans and the crushers will not replace a Broncos team with even an ounce of success, especially if it's the bombers. Can't wait for 5 years from now where our fortunes mysteriously change (not bottom 4 penalties, no more MRC "strong" decisions against us, 6 agains are used for the same offences by both teams, media not hounding us and pressuring our players) when a successful broncos team is needed.

And news limited.... a controversy sells a few papers but the destruction of your product (Broncos and the quality of journalism) will cost you far more in the long run

The NRL are in a lot of trouble up here I think. Afl made in roads when the lions made a 3peat but the afl couldn't follow through with it, but a lot of ppl are disillusioned with the NRL lately and if the afl gf and all their teams are up here they have a big opportunity.
My guess is the Broncos will miraculously turn their discipline around over the next 5-10 rounds and win the odd penalty count (not vs roosters, souffs, storm or eels of course). The Sydney centric NRL and NRL media have only scratched the surface of Brisbane ppl getting sick of the treatment it's getting. The Broncos success and then the maroons success (perfectly timed) has patched over a lot of holes, but the water is starting to leak and they don't even realise it yet. They think another team will fix it obviously but titans and the crushers will not replace a Broncos team with even an ounce of success, especially if it's the bombers. Can't wait for 5 years from now where our fortunes mysteriously change (not bottom 4 penalties, no more MRC "strong" decisions against us, 6 agains are used for the same offences by both teams, media not hounding us and pressuring our players) when a successful broncos team is needed.

And news limited.... a controversy sells a few papers but the destruction of your product (Broncos and the quality of journalism) will cost you far more in the long run
You're dead right mate. I had seats at Lang Park and used to watch nearly every game of the round. Now, I struggle through our game and that's about it. The NRL is Sydney centric, has no plans to go Aussie wide and as far as I'm concerned is cutting its nose off to spite its face.

Never thought I'd say it but the games are becoming too lopsided and boring to watch. Nowadays if you want to see a tight evenly fought match between the top eight and the bottom eight the refs have to manufacture it.

I don't follow stats, but I know what I'm seeing and the game is being killed off to satisfy a few Sydneysiders.

The media are fucking scum. The way Kent, Hoops and Ikin are bullshitting about how Fifita needs to go to the Titans is fucking disgusting. This talk about Ikin being our next CEO better just be rubbish because I’ll hand in my membership if that weasel **** has anything to do with our club again.

The media are fucking scum. The way Kent, Hoops and Ikin are bullshitting about how Fifita needs to go to the Titans is fucking disgusting. This talk about Ikin being our next CEO better just be rubbish because I’ll hand in my membership if that weasel **** has anything to do with our club again.
I don't know much about his business abilities but I had a few decent chats with him, well a couple of short ones and a lengthy one later and he is a pretty intelligent bloke. There was no script or teleprompter in sight and I asked him some solid questions and he handled them well. He was also courteous and polite but that doesn't necessarily mean I think he's a good bloke. That takes much longer to ascertain. I didn't agree with some of his answers either but he was nice enough to give me his time. He's a fucking decent size too and looks pretty damn fit and strong. I was a bit surprised by that as it didn't seem apparent on tv. At 6 1 myself and 102 ks I'm average to large size and he was bigger I'm sure. Perhaps not heavier though.

If I had a dream team for CEO and GM of football it would be ribot and bellamy,think those two would go a long way to righting the ship.

Oh and hello to all the titans fans lurking 🙂

Last edited:
What's a Titans fan?
Images 1

Its amazing to see the likes of Reed Mahoney and Ponga re-sign with their current teams, not to mention it sounds like Keary is about to re-sign with the Roosters, and not a word is said regarding how players like these would be great for a team like the Titans. But when it's a Broncos player, it's "best for the NRL" if we lose our best to the Titans..
The media are pathetic, there is so much bias against us, its crazy.
Have any of these "experts" stopped to think that the Broncos need to retain all the talent possible? I mean, we aren't exactly going that great and we are obviously really missing Fifiita.
He is super important to this side, we need to retain him.

If I had a dream team for CEO and GM of football it would be ribot and bellamy,think those two would go a long way to righting the ship.

Oh and hello to all the titans fans lurking 🙂
The thing is, money is literally no object in making something like this happen. The club has resources that simply dwarf every other club and there is nothing monetarily stopping them assembling the most in demand and highly proficient coaching and administration staff in the game.

Melbourne still have Bellamy because they put their money where their mouth is and paid up for the best when it mattered. That's the difference between us and them at the moment.

Last edited:
The thing is, money is literally no object in making something like this happen. The club has resources that simply dwarf every other club and there is nothing monetarily stopping them assembling the most in demand and highly proficient coaching and administration staff in the game.

Melbourne still have Bellamy because they put their money where their mouth is and paid up for the best when it mattered. That's the difference between us and them at the moment.

This is partly true but you need to remember two things here. First, Brisbane offered Bellamy a lot But he was never leaving Melbourne, management should have known that. Second, all those extra resources are null and void because the brilliant administration known as the NRL decided to cap off-field spending in another attempt to appease the financially unsustainable anchor clubs that hold this comp back.

This is partly true but you need to remember two things here. First, Brisbane offered Bellamy a lot But he was never leaving Melbourne, management should have known that. Second, all those extra resources are null and void because the brilliant administration known as the NRL decided to cap off-field spending in another attempt to appease the financially unsustainable anchor clubs that hold this comp back.
The cap didn't exist when Bellamy was re-signed, so that was not the issue. It's only started from this year onwards.

They also didn't put a hard cap on it, they just required a 'luxury tax' for clubs who exceed the cap. It also wouldn't apply to Ribot or any CEO/Admin staff, it's purely on the football side of spending.

So let's just pay the tax then? We can absolutely afford it given how much money we have at our disposal relative to other clubs.

The Coach is probably the single most important employee in the club, it's not the position to be cutting costs on. If Melbourne could afford to do it, then there is literally not a single reason why we couldn't afford the same.

Last edited:
So let's just pay the tax then? We can absolutely afford it given how much money we have at our disposal relative to other clubs.
Problem is, the current administration seem to regard the bottom line as the most important thing by a long long way. They absolutely butchered the transition from Wayne to save a few hundred thousand. Melbourne is run to get results on the field, same as the Roosters, but we're run to make the most profit.

Problem is, the current administration seem to regard the bottom line as the most important thing by a long long way. They absolutely butchered the transition from Wayne to save a few hundred thousand. Melbourne is run to get results on the field, same as the Roosters, but we're run to make the most profit.
It's been so long since we've had a Premiership that I guess the current Administration has forgotten just how much good being Premiers can do for the bottom line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Porthoz
  • Pablo
  • Xzei
  • Astro
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Kev_Guz
  • Behind enemy lines
  • lynx000
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.