OFFICIAL David Fifita signs with the Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Yes they do. There's absolutely no requirement to focus on short-term profitability at the expense of anything or everything else. That's an absolute cop-out, and one typically used by management wankers to justify grossly unethical behaviour or gutting a company in search of a short-term bonus.

you're speaking as a fan ... our main priority is premierships.

however, for a publicly traded company, the boards main priority is money. always has been always will be ... and if the board don't deliver on that, they will be replaced by a board who will.

now please back up your claim of "grossly unethical behaviour or gutting a company in search of a short-term bonus." ... because even with the biased media, there has been no suggestion the Broncos board have been guilty of this

abashii

abashii

NRL Player
Contributor
Jul 14, 2014
you're speaking as a fan ... our main priority is premierships.

however, for a publicly traded company, the boards main priority is money. always has been always will be ... and if the board don't deliver on that, they will be replaced by a board who will.

There's more to the best interests of a company than this year's bottom line. You're welcome to believe otherwise but it's not at all an unreasonable position. If you're unable to grasp that basic concept then I doubt anything else I say can help you.

now please back up your claim of "grossly unethical behaviour or gutting a company in search of a short-term bonus." ... because even with the biased media, there has been no suggestion the Broncos board have been guilty of this
Please point out where I said the Broncos board were guilty of this.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Oh I understand. I mean the 7 million guarantee that he'd have in the now. That future guarantee. Say he sacrificed $500,000 in the first year, how long would it take to pick that back up? I mean he'd never really get it would he?

I was offering the idea that the Titans would go for the longer deal at $1.4m for 5 seasons, something that I just don't think would ever be on offer. Injury could end it at any moment and history is littered with 'if only I took what was on offer at the time' stories. Even if he got my proposed deal he'd still only be 25 when it's over!! No risks involved. If he was my son and I was managing him I'd make that offer to the Titans.
But he doesn't want to do that because he doesn't want to pay the current agent the commission.

Or am I missing something? So that would not be an offer he would be willing to put to the titans in any event.

Last edited:
Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
There's more to the best interests of a company than this year's bottom line. You're welcome to believe otherwise but it's not at all an unreasonable position. If you're unable to grasp that basic concept then I doubt anything else I say can help you.

i never said that fiscal interest were the SOLE priority for a publicly traded comapany .. but they are the MAIN priority... it is business 101.

Please point out where I said the Broncos board were guilty of this.

if you weren't at least implying this, then why bring it up in a discussion about the Broncos board ...

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
But he doesn't want to do that because he doesn't want to pay the current agent the commission.

Or am I missing something? So that would not be an offer he would be willing to put to the titans in any event.
No, I understand the dilemma he faces and of course, you're right about the agent. The way I'd see it through would be to sit down with the agent and see what it would take up front to sever ties. For arguments sake let's say the Broncos are offering a 700k , five year deal perhaps with incremental changes and the coast says 1.25m for 5 the difference is some 2.625m or thereabouts.

If he could **** the agent off for 250-500 now he'd still be kilometres ahead. That's all pure wanky conjecture of course and if you and I had all the facts, like the player managers attitude and willingness or not to work something out and Fifitas personal feelings we might advise Fifita differently. Mediation has just got to be the best way forward because we know what ***** lawyers are, hey?🤣🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
I just cant understand how he hasn't made his decision yet and publicly announced it...Makes no sense at all to me.

Last edited:
abashii

abashii

NRL Player
Contributor
Jul 14, 2014
i never said that fiscal interest were the SOLE priority for a publicly traded comapany .. but they are the MAIN priority... it is business 101.

if you weren't at least implying this, then why bring it up in a discussion about the Broncos board ...
Because the fiduciary duty excuse is absolute bullshit and deserves to be treated as such. White and the board absolutely screwed the pooch to save a few bucks.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Why the **** does he need to drag this out like this. Just make your choice and tell everyone.

Yeah. At what point is he a nuisance? Broncos should start getting tough again, take the offer off the table tomorrow and force his hand.

If we lose him, oh noooooo we lose a forward. Poor us.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I just cant understand how he hasn't made his decision yet and publicly announced it...Makes no sense at all to me.

He (His Mum) is probably hoping that if he ignores both clubs for the next fortnight one of them will panic and increase their offer. Pretty amateur negotiation tactics, but I wouldn't really expect any high level stuff from a random woman in Ipswich.

After thinking about it a bit more, I'm pretty confident he's staying. If he's holding out for a little bit more money, it's certainly not from the Gold Coast. There's no way in hell they'd be expecting the Titans to go above $1.25m. Therefore the only reasonable deduction is that they're hoping the Broncos close the gap between the two offers slightly.

I think he's staying regardless of whether we increase the offer or not. I'd put a deadline on him, 5pm tomorrow afternoon.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Why the **** does he need to drag this out like this. Just make your choice and tell everyone.
B09e7785b553b8fb0c0efe312a49853e

Dazza 92

Dazza 92

NRL Captain
Oct 13, 2014
for a guy who admits to having issues making decisions, has trust issues etc....

Make me wonder how he would handle a year at the Titans being called a mercenary and only there for the money.....every day......every hour....for a year...

Nothing he did on the field would placate that.....he could be the Dally M winner and still be crucified..

There must be something else in play here from the Titans.....i just cant imagine the Kellys would be so foolish as to literally spend that money on a 1 year rental...

Last edited:
McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Good buddy Tino Fa’asuamaleaui:

“I would love to see David Fifita with me at the Titans. Dave is one of my best mates and we would be great together. It would be a good help to have someone like Dave who would come from a good system at the Broncos and have the same motivations to turn the Titans into a force. He has a huge decision to make and if he stays at the Broncos, I will support whatever he decides because we will always be mates. But if Dave comes, it would be massive for the Titans."

“His talent is obvious but I’ve seen the way he trains and the way he holds himself as a person. A lot of people at the Titans would see how hard he trains and look up to him. I spoke to Dave the other day to see how his knee is going. I honestly don’t know what he will do. He hasn’t told me, but I guess I will find out soon.”

“I’m always excited to play for the Storm and it will mean a lot to play here on the Sunshine Coast where I have played a lot of football in the Intrust Super Cup. I guess I want to show the Titans what they are getting next year. A lot of people might say why would I want to leave a great club like Melbourne and sign with the Titans? Family was a big factor, but I also want to challenge myself and I would love to be part of helping the culture of the Titans and steer them to a more successful future."

“I have learned what’s required to be an NRL player at the Storm. The Storm fight for every bit and don’t stop until the end and hopefully I can bring that mindset to the Titans.”

McHunt

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Yeah. At what point is he a nuisance? Broncos should start getting tough again, take the offer off the table tomorrow and force his hand.

If we lose him, oh noooooo we lose a forward. Poor us.

Yeah I’m of this opinion too. Big fan of Fifita and ultimately hope he stays but the more I see of him the more selfish and worrying trends I see. It should always be team first and he isn’t doing that.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Yeah I’m of this opinion too. Big fan of Fifita and ultimately hope he stays but the more I see of him the more selfish and worrying trends I see. It should always be team first and he isn’t doing that.

That and, he's just a forward. Waste this energy on a player who can actually win you games. It's never going to be a forward.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
That and, he's just a forward. Waste this energy on a player who can actually win you games. It's never going to be a forward.
Well, he has already won us games. Some forwards are worth it, like SBW or a Tallis for example. Fifita might very well become one of them, but that is far from a "fait accompli".

That said, I can understand how he would find it hard to resist such a huge offer given the short career span of an NRL player. Loyalty to a team and your colleagues only stretches so far...

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Mediation has just got to be the best way forward because we know what ***** lawyers are, hey?🤣🤣🤣🤣
Absolutely, never a truer phrase in literature:
"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"

You do realise mediation is just another process created by lawyers to extract more fees??

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Absolutely, never a truer phrase in literature:
"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"

You do realise mediation is just another process created by lawyers to extract more fees??
Oh, I thought it just had to be a woman, Eve? Let's talk about this...horrified look on Adam's face

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
He (His Mum) is probably hoping that if he ignores both clubs for the next fortnight one of them will panic and increase their offer. Pretty amateur negotiation tactics, but I wouldn't really expect any high level stuff from a random woman in Ipswich.

After thinking about it a bit more, I'm pretty confident he's staying. If he's holding out for a little bit more money, it's certainly not from the Gold Coast. There's no way in hell they'd be expecting the Titans to go above $1.25m. Therefore the only reasonable deduction is that they're hoping the Broncos close the gap between the two offers slightly.

I think he's staying regardless of whether we increase the offer or not. I'd put a deadline on him, 5pm tomorrow afternoon.

I agree.

His ship is starting to sink IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Fatboy
  • winslow_wong
  • Kev_Guz
  • Fozz
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bucking Beads
  • Redfern_1980
  • Sproj
  • Santa
  • Gaz
  • sooticus
  • Mister Wright
  • Painin the Haas
  • Redux
  • MrTickyMcG
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.