OFFICIAL David Fifita signs with the Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Well, he has already won us games. Some forwards are worth it, like SBW or a Tallis for example. Fifita might very well become one of them, but that is far from a "fait accompli".

That said, I can understand how he would find it hard to resist such a huge offer given the short career span of an NRL player. Loyalty to a team and your colleagues only stretches so far...

Disagree. The Cowboys are plenty of proof that having the best forward in the game doesn't keep you competing if you have no decent spine around him. Those players are who we should waste our energy on.

Why the "emphasis" on your stupid word?

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Disagree. The Cowboys are plenty of proof that having the best forward in the game doesn't keep you competing if you have no decent spine around him. Those players are who we should waste our energy on.

What does that say about Thurston for all the years they struggled before JT2?

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010

One doesn't invalidate the other though, as he proved.
Your point would certainly be valid if there was an available spine player out there to spend his money on.

The words weren't silly, just foreign.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Seeing as apparently Smith is making a decision in the next few weeks about his future, maybe we should hold off with Fifita in case Grant becomes a genuine target. This Fifita saga is just a circus now.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Your point would certainly be valid if there was an available spine player out there to spend his money on.

Pretentious. Foregone conclusion might not have been so...wankerish. I liked it though I didn't understand the need for quotation marks.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008

So we have the money just spend it, basically? We don't have to spend cap money just cause it's there.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
So we have the money just spend it, basically? We don't have to spend cap money just cause it's there.
No, but we should on a player worth it if it doesn't impede getting someone we really need, and I think Fifita is such a player.

We'll be rid of Boyd, Kahu and Macca's contracts by the time a player we really need becomes available, so Fifita won't be in the way of that either.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
When Fifita reaches his potential, he's going to be better than Taumalolo. He's going to be better than SBW. Frankly, he's going to be better than all of them.

He's going to be the type of player that can win you games. A genuine game-breaker. He's not just powerful, but he's agile. He's fast and elusive. And over time he's going to develop his ball skills more.

He's going to be worth the big money one day. Not yet, though.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
It’s almost like it is at the stage you say to Fifita, “If you wait until Oct 31st to sign a one year deal with the Titans, we’ll sign you on a 5 year deal at $1M per year from 2022 on Nov 1” you’d do it.

It would then put the Titans in a precarious situation. Do they then keep Fifita for 1 year on massive coin already knowing they’re losing him the year after or do they release him to the Broncos for 2021 paying $500K of his salary so they can use the other $700-750K on a player that will be with them long term?

That way Fifita gets his pay-day but also gets to stay at the Broncos (one way or the other).

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
When does he part ways with his manager?

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
December i believe

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
Hmm so wait till December to sign and offer him a 5 year deal back ended?that work?

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
When Fifita reaches his potential, he's going to be better than Taumalolo. He's going to be better than SBW. Frankly, he's going to be better than all of them.

He's going to be the type of player that can win you games. A genuine game-breaker. He's not just powerful, but he's agile. He's fast and elusive. And over time he's going to develop his ball skills more.

He's going to be worth the big money one day. Not yet, though.

He's already a player than can win you games. He's already a game breaker. That he will get better, yes, and that's scary, for opposition teams. He's also so exciting to watch, in our colours. I really hope he stays. I'd hate to watch him tear us apart on the edges.

Last edited:
Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Im a huge fan of Fifita, but I think SBW was more talented. He didnt play a lot of NRL, but he was an immense runner, a strong defender, and an amazing offloader and ball player for a 2nd rower. He could have possibly been the best of all time of he played his whole career IMO.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Im a huge fan of Fifita, but I think SBW was more talented. He didnt play a lot of NRL, but he was an immense runner, a strong defender, and an amazing offloader and ball player for a 2nd rower. He could have possibly been the best of all time of he played his whole career IMO.
Brad Thorn? Probably accomplished more? He wasn't just a bash and barge forward either, he had skills. SBW had the model looks so we all know the pretty ones get all the praise.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Hmm so wait till December to sign and offer him a 5 year deal back ended?that work?
Nope ... because I don't think he can train without a contract

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Brad Thorn? Probably accomplished more? He wasn't just a bash and barge forward either, he had skills. SBW had the model looks so we all know the pretty ones get all the praise.
I love Thorn but he wasn't quite as athletic as SBW. Thorn was a champ through and through though.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

Maybe it's a little early to assess Fifita's potential, and hopefully we can do so with him in our team rather than trying to defend against him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• kman
  • Dash
  • Mr Fourex
  • TimWhatley
  • Harry Sack
  • Porthoz
  • Allo
  • Lazza
  • Brocko
  • Manofoneway
  • Dexter
  • Gaz
  • Skyblues87
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Fozz
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.