David Mead to Brisbane

I would like this to be the case BUT I just can't believe Mead would have left the Titans where he is a starting player to come to the Broncs to be a reserve grader. It makes me fear he has been given a promise of starting, especially if he is on the low money he is reported to be on and given he was being chased by other clubs.

Guaranteeing positions doesn't seem like it would be Bennett's style - or at least I hope it wouldn't be. (Unless your name is Darius perhaps...)

Any player who signs with the Broncos should be given one guarantee - and that's that they can win any spot on the field if they work hard enough and are committed enough.

Last edited:
I think he is a good pickup, he has got some speed, can finish and play multiple positions.

I'd say he took a pay cut to stay in Brisbane for lifestyle/family reasons.

Maybe he just didn't want to relocate his young family too far away from where they are already established ?

I'd say he took a pay cut to stay in Brisbane for lifestyle/family reasons.
Maybe he just didn't want to relocate his young family too far away from where they are already established ?
Family has to play a big part in it. Surely other clubs would have been well in the running if his asking price was reasonable?

Still surprised the Titans let him go. He's one of their more consistent performers, and they've also lost Watch Me NeNe to the Dragons. Surely some discontent behind closed doors, or they're very confident in blooding two rookie wingers from within for 2017?

I would like this to be the case BUT I just can't believe Mead would have left the Titans where he is a starting player to come to the Broncs to be a reserve grader. It makes me fear he has been given a promise of starting, especially if he is on the low money he is reported to be on and given he was being chased by other clubs.

Mead left the titans because Neil Henry told him that there is no place in the side for him next year. I believe the titans will be picking up the majority of the bill next year (as he was still contracted) and he has only signed a one year deal.

Family has to play a big part in it. Surely other clubs would have been well in the running if his asking price was reasonable?

Still surprised the Titans let him go. He's one of their more consistent performers, and they've also lost Watch Me NeNe to the Dragons. Surely some discontent behind closed doors, or they're very confident in blooding two rookie wingers from within for 2017?

They need to make room for their big signings. Peats, Hayne, Wallace and upgrading some contracts would have chewed significantly into their salary cap.

Playing Oates off the bench isn't the go in my opinion. He's just having a rough patch atm and I think it's likely to due to injury. He has a delicate frame and has had a horrible run with injuries. We already have Sua (who's not too far off) coming through the ranks as well as TPJ who has the potential to be a quality edge player depending on which direction we want to go in with Arrow also. Keeping him in the backs will prolong his career and the strong carries we get from him coming out of trouble are invaluable. Pearson will still get some game time next year and has the opportunity to lock in a starting spot next year or the year after anyway.

We should have signed Nene MacDonald earlier..

Can Opacic play back row?
His defense is pretty good but he seems to lack a bit of pace, he is way too good a prospect to let go.

Guaranteeing positions doesn't seem like it would be Bennett's style - or at least I hope it wouldn't be. (Unless your name is Darius perhaps...)

There's a reason why Darius is a Bennett favourite. I personally wouldn't trade him for any other full back in the comp.

Can Opacic play back row?
His defense is pretty good but he seems to lack a bit of pace, he is way too good a prospect to let go.

Wouldnt surprise me if he does end up there tbh. I don't think Toms that slow, he just doesn't have that explosive acceleration.

Wouldnt surprise me if he does end up there tbh. I don't think Toms that slow, he just doesn't have that explosive acceleration.

I think acceleration is almost more important than speed. Especially for a centre. That is what turns the half chances into something. Especially for a centre to then put the wing away.

I dont think Oates will last long enough in the forwards. I say keep him in the backs.

With Kearney off to the Warriors, I have a feeling he might be taking Kahu with him

2017 Brisbane Broncos

1 Darius Boyd (c)
2 Corey Oates
3 Jordan Kahu
4 James Roberts
5 David Mead
6 Anthony Milford
7 Ben Hunt
8 Josh McGuire
9 Andrew McCullough
10 Adam Blair
11 Sam Thaiday
12 Matt Gillett
13 Alex Glenn

14 Herman Ese'ese
15 Tevita Pangai Junior
16 Jai Arrow
17 Kodi Nikorima

18 Tom Opacic
19 Jaydn Su'A

Word is we are chasing a forward who could easily start for us.

Active Now

• Organix
  • Midean
  • Allo
  • Johnny92
  • Spike
  • Skathen
  • Wolfie
  • I bleed Maroon
  • jd87
  • Santa
  • BroncsNBundy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Battler
  • broncsgoat
  • Xzei
  • Dash
  • winslow_wong
  • Painin the Haas
  • Lurker
  • BroncosFan_Corey
... and 43 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.