NEWS Dearden a ray of light on a gloomy weekend

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
HScreenshot 2021 03 22 Broncos youngster steals show in Hunt comeback

The weekend wasn't all bad news. Tom Dearden put in a Man of the Match performance in his return to the ISC playing alongside NRL stablemates Corey Oates, Corey Paix, Albert Kelly, Kobe Hetherington and Isiah Tass, as well as a cameo from returning old boy Karmichael Hunt. But the double try scoring exile Dearden isn't taking his position for granted:

I’ve got a lot to work on in my game. When you come back to a team like this, they’re very competitive. When I’m in the Souths Logan jersey, I’m a Magpie.”

Karmichael Hunt likes what he sees in the junior playmaker:

“He’s a class act. He cares about his footy and he understands what he needs to work on and what he needs to get better at. What we saw tonight was a class above and he steered the team around. He got a couple of tries to top it off and he would have impressed quite a few people.”

Hcfa0402a296d4c9730d82e1f4411a315

Still holding the baton

Hunt himself looked at ease in his return to rugby league after 12 years in the wilderness, setting up a try for Oates and barking orders from centre. He's circumspect about his declaring he's ready for the NRL, but would love the opportunity to once again run out in Broncos colours:

“This is a good step in the right direction. I’m always keen to play at the top level. All I can worry about is playing good football and helping the players around me get better. If I don’t get back to playing in the NRL, then at least I get to play alongside the likes of Tommy Dearden, Cory Paix and Corey Oates. I’d love to help these guys get back into first grade.”

McHunt

Last edited:
“This is a good step in the right direction. I’m always keen to play at the top level. All I can worry about is playing good football and helping the players around me get better. If I don’t get back to playing in the NRL, then at least I get to play alongside the likes of Tommy Dearden, Cory Paix and Corey Oates. I’d love to help these guys get back into first grade.”

This sound like the way a captain would talk to anyone else?

This sound like the way a captain would talk to anyone else?
Having a captain who talks like a captain would be a good start. Ben Te'o is good at this too.

Every time KHunt was on camera he was communicating with his inside & outside men or barking orders to the midfield, or talking in the huddles. If he doesn't get back to NRL standard he sure could teach some of our young guys about communication and leadership.

Every time KHunt was on camera he was communicating with his inside & outside men or barking orders to the midfield, or talking in the huddles. If he doesn't get back to NRL standard he sure could teach some of our young guys about communication and leadership.
Get Hunt in on a training deal. If he had never left us I reckon he would still be our captain today.

Get Hunt in on a training deal. If he had never left us I reckon he would still be our captain today.
He wouldn't be the worst player to have around the training group even if he doesn't make the team. He wants to coach so badly, I doubt he'd expect to be paid much.

Yep, bring him in.

I think in the fullness of time we'll likely come to see that the day Karmichael Hunt left the Broncos was the day the Broncos as we knew them really died.
Yep, the club died with a lot of music still in it.

Last edited:
Why was Oates playing on the wing for Souths.... is that a signal that the 2nd Row dream is over??

My only criticism in that match of dearden was that he was communicating but primarily only appeared to do so with his backline on the left side and parked himself on the left side too much. We are needing him to develop into the half that controls the whole team not just one side.

He put in some good kicks and his defence was again impressive particular after what we saw from our first grade 6 on the weekend.

I'd be frankly amazed (dumbfounded might be a better description) if we aren't looking at a way to get Karmichael Hunt back to the club.

The club needs leaders and a shot of confidence and Hunt would no doubt bring plenty of both.

At half time they played an interview with him where he said he contacted Wayne about getting into coaching and Wayne steered him toward SLM. He spoke quite well but didn't explain how he ended up playing for them rather than coaching.

Last edited:
At half time they played an interview with him where he said he contacted Wayne about getting into coaching and Wayne steered him toward SLM. He spoke quite well but didn't explain how he ended up playing for them rather than coaching.

he is actually coaching as well. it's been reported that he's run some sessions with the ISC team and is coaching their pathways program

One of these is obviously out of our control but I tell you what, could you imagine adding Karmichael Hunt and Israel Folau, even at their current ages, to this current Broncos side?

They wouldn't break the bank between them and we likely become instantly a much tougher side mentally almost overnight.

One of these is obviously out of our control but I tell you what, could you imagine adding Karmichael Hunt and Israel Folau, even at their current ages, to this current Broncos side?

They wouldn't break the bank between them and we likely become instantly a much tougher side mentally almost overnight.

And with Folau on board, the team might even potentially become a cult. *I'm leaving*

Anything to get isaako out of the team would be nice!

And would go a long way to righting all the wrongs that have happened over the years. Get it done, even if it’s just symbolic

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • TimWhatley
  • Johnny92
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fitzy
  • bazza
  • GCBRONCO
  • Volvo Driver
  • Mick_Hancock
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Wolfie
  • NSW stables
  • Mr Fourex
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Bucking Beads
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.