NEWS Demetriou: Why I can break Broncos' drought

Madge's record is worse then I thought. 12th for 2 seasons in a row. What the hell Madge lovers??
Walters had a top grade coaching record of less than 40%

JD has no top grade coaching record ... We have seen in the past that a lower grade coaching record means SFA when it comes to NRL coaching.

We have tried rookie first grade coaches twice before, we can't risk it for as third time.

Seibold has yet to do anything in the top grade.

Madge has won 2 to grade premierships. And is the only one of the 4 contenders to prove he can win a premiership

Walters had a top grade coaching record of less than 40%

JD has no top grade coaching record ... We have seen in the past that a lower grade coaching record means SFA when it comes to NRL coaching.

We have tried rookie first grade coaches twice before, we can't risk it for as third time.

Seibold has yet to do anything in the top grade.

Madge has won 2 to grade premierships. And is the only one of the 4 contenders to prove he can win a premiership

He also proved he could drag a team down . Both teams were stacked and destined for a premiership , he really got lucky imo
Not saying he is the worst option but I certainly don't think he is the best.

There’s a big difference between driving a Ford Laser and a Ferrari 488.
That's what almost 5 years of assistant coaching is supposed to prepare you for. The dude has his license.

He also proved he could drag a team down . Both teams were stacked and destined for a premiership , he really got lucky imo
Not saying he is the worst option but I certainly don't think he is the best.

the i suppose we should disregard Bennett's premiership with the Dragons in 2010 ... they were primed for a premiership for several years before Bennett got there, but still needed a coach that was capable of pulling them over the line.

I'm not saying he didn't make mistakes in his Souths stint, but people can learn from them. he has proven what he is capable of.

The problem will come after he wins a premiership ... At Souths, the hunger wasn't the same once the got their premiership, maybe his intensity was too high and his team burned out, but i'm sure he would have learned his lesson from that.

of the 4 reported candidates, Maguire is by far the best option to take this club forward

That's what almost 5 years of assistant coaching is supposed to prepare you for. The dude has his license.
And we're done (or at least should be done) being a test car for a driver on is P plates

the i suppose we should disregard Bennett's premiership with the Dragons in 2010 ... they were primed for a premiership for several years before Bennett got there, but still needed a coach that was capable of pulling them over the line.

I'm not saying he didn't make mistakes in his Souths stint, but people can learn from them. he has proven what he is capable of.

The problem will come after he wins a premiership ... At Souths, the hunger wasn't the same once the got their premiership, maybe his intensity was too high and his team burned out, but i'm sure he would have learned his lesson from that.

of the 4 reported candidates, Maguire is by far the best option to take this club forward

Agree 100%. I'm really hoping for Madge but expecting it to be Siebold. If he re-signs with Souths it'll be JD.

Last edited:
I see you missed the point entirely.

There is a big difference between coaching reserve grade teams and the biggest and strongest club in Rugby League, not least of all the heightened exposure and expectations.

No amount of being an assistant coach changes that either.

I’m not saying he’s not good enough, but I am saying he has no NRL experience and using his Q/NSW Cup experience to suggest he is good enough to coach the Broncos is naive.

I see you missed the point entirely.

There is a big difference between coaching reserve grade teams and the biggest and strongest club in Rugby League, not least of all the heightened exposure and expectations.

No amount of being an assistant coach changes that either.

I’m not saying he’s not good enough, but I am saying he has no NRL experience and using his Q/NSW Cup experience to suggest he is good enough to coach the Broncos is naive.

All good coaches make the jump from cup , assistant etc. to Nrl . I don't understand the experience needed crap , all great coaches start at the bottom.

All good coaches make the jump from cup , assistant etc. to Nrl . I don't understand the experience needed crap , all great coaches start at the bottom.
How did you get that from what I posted?

I didn’t say NRL experience is needed, I said he has none and using his experience in lower grades as the only determining factor in endorsing him to coach the Broncos is naive.

I unequivocally stand by this. There is so, so much more required to coach a powerhouse like Brisbane, which is why the selection panel are being so ridiculously careful with who they arrive at as their successful candidate.

Henjak and Griffin are testament to this and also strengthen your point. All good coaches make the jump. Many, many more bad ones don’t.

If we are going to select a rookie, we need to be damned sure he’s the bloke who’s going to kick on, otherwise we’ve seemingly learnt nothing from our previous mistakes.

How did you get that from what I posted?

I didn’t say NRL experience is needed, I said he has none and using his experience in lower grades as the only determining factor in endorsing him to coach the Broncos is naive.

I unequivocally stand by this. There is so, so much more required to coach a powerhouse like Brisbane, which is why the selection panel are being so ridiculously careful with who they arrive at as their successful candidate.

Henjak and Griffin are testament to this and also strengthen your point. All good coaches make the jump. Many, many more bad ones don’t.

If we are going to select a rookie, we need to be damned sure he’s the bloke who’s going to kick on, otherwise we’ve seemingly learnt nothing from our previous mistakes.

Wasn't just your post . Rookie or experienced coach , it doesn't matter. Look at hasler , he won titles and was regarded as one of the best but went to shit. A coach is not the be all and end all , good players are .

I personally would like to see Madge prove himself at another NRL club before considering him. He is still in need of redemption.

Wasn't just your post . Rookie or experienced coach , it doesn't matter. Look at hasler , he won titles and was regarded as one of the best but went to shit. A coach is not the be all and end all , good players are .
I assume you’re joking, right?

If not, I suggest you write to the Broncos board and tell them to stop wasting their time trying to find the best coach possible and simply focus their attention on signing all the very best players in each position.

We’ll be premiers back-to-back-to-back-to-back and won’t even need a coach.

I can’t believe no one else has thought of this?!?

It’s the right balance really. Right coach with right players. It’s only hypothetical but don’t think Newcastle would have been premiers this year with Robinson as coach nor Chooks with Browny. Horses for courses (pun intended).

If not, I suggest you write to the Broncos board and tell them to stop wasting their time trying to find the best coach possible and simply focus their attention on signing all the very best players in each position.

Melbourne thought of it. Slater, Smith and Cronk are they key to their success. Bellamy will be shit without them.

Yeah that's what i said, not to find the best coach!! Bennett, Bellamy... they weren't the best coaches from the get go were they. I'm saying the one with the best record isn't always going to be the best coach long term, and that's what we need a long term coach !!

Melbourne thought of it. Slater, Smith and Cronk are they key to their success. Bellamy will be shit without them.

Bellamy made those players though. Without him they would never have been future immortals. The proof is in all the other future immortals that he has created since like... um, I’m sure there are more.

Bellamy made those players though. Without him they would never have been future immortals. The proof is in all the other future immortals that he has created since like... um, I’m sure there are more.

2 sentences in and I was already formulating my reply in my head

Kept reading, and LOL, spot on @Morkel

Active Now

• Big Del
  • Fitzy
  • Mister Wright
  • Broncosgirl
  • Santa
  • The True King
  • mitch222
  • Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • thenry
  • Culhwch
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Wild Horse
  • bert_lifts
  • ChewThePhatt
  • LittleDavey
  • Brotherdu
  • Financeguy
  • Mr Fourex
  • Dash
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.