NEWS Demetriou: Why I can break Broncos' drought

I'm kinda warming to the idea of giving him the job.

I figure why not? There's going to be question marks over any of the potential candidates.

Seibold - only been in the NRL 12 months

Madge - Won a premiership but got sacked for essentially burning the side out. Has he learnt from his mistakes?

Walters - Hasn't coached in the NRL, has a so-so record elsewhere, but is a club legend and supposedly added a bit to the attacking side in our 2015 run. Is too much sentiment attached?

JD - Hasn't coached in the NRL, but has seemingly had success at every other level in the head coach position. Players like him. Will he be another Henjak?

Reality is we didn't get Bellamy and that's who we really wanted, so because of that and the fact it's not going to be Wayne, anyone we go with is going to have something to prove - why not go with the guy that's already well liked by everyone? Bellamy and Bennett started out somewhere too.

His international win % is now the same as his NRL win %. Oh yeah he's already been SACKED from an NRL club, and word is players are much happier playing under Siebold.

You mean the new zealand team that so often gets wins over us 3 natins , world cup.....
You seriously can't take that into consideration after the turn over and outs australia had .

The New Zealand team hasn't been good since Taumalolo ditched them. You have to commend Madge for what he pulled together there. They didn't have Tuivasa Sheck so he picked Dallin Watene Zelezniak at fullback and as captain and it paid off.

When 56% is considered a good win %, it almost makes you wonder how important a coach even is, and how much may come
down to another variable such as TPA’s or board stability.

Umm nah, I don't think I ever wonder how important a coach is. It's pretty blatantly obvious how important a coach is. I'm not sure I can even be bothered going through what effects a coach can have on a club.

I couldn’t disagree with you more.

Country origin: 3 years, 1 win, 2 losses, 33%.
NSW origin: 3 years, 2 wins, 7 losses, 22%.

When he doesn’t have a bevy of the best players of this generation at his disposal, his record is rubbish. That is fact.

The cracks are starting to appear at Melbourne too. They should have just stayed on the bus for that GF, never even looked in it against a team with practically only 12 players.

As for Munster, well he is a good player, but this myth about him being a great player is a real stretch. He is also a loose cannon.

Brandon Smith is a good, nuggety runner who hits hard in defence. But so too is Siliva Havili from the Raiders. Not much separates them otherwise. But one thing is for sure, neither of them are Cameron Smith.

I for one am absolutely thrilled Bellamy didn’t end up at the Broncos, not only because he’s proven to be a smug knob who throws tantrums when he doesn’t get what he wants (amongst other unsavoury characteristics), but because his coaching record is largely inflated due to the fact he’s had 4 of the very best players of the modern era at his disposal for close to a decade and 3 of them for close to 15 years. I am also supremely confident they will fall quite a way down the ladder over the next few years.

Time will tell.

I don’t want to take this thread off topic more than I have but just quickly, I agree he isn’t a great rep coach.

Rep arena is about getting the most out of players over a very short period. You need a spiritual leader like Mal, Wayne, or Fitler for that.

Bellamy is very good at managing a team over a long grinding season and bringing in what players he needs to fill holes in a squad. As far as tactics go, imo you just need to look at how he shut down Barba and Hayne at the peak of their abilities to win GF’s (yes he cheated against the eels. Again I’ll never forgive him do that).

To see how impactful a player or coach is, look at how many rules need to be changed or looked at because they’ve found a way to exploit them. The long kicks dead, the slow rucks. Yeah it’s grimey and not good for the game but it takes a good tactician to find and push those boundaries.

I don’t want to take this thread off topic more than I have but just quickly, I agree he isn’t a great rep coach.

Rep arena is about getting the most out of players over a very short period. You need a spiritual leader like Mal, Wayne, or Fitler for that.

Bellamy is very good at managing a team over a long grinding season and bringing in what players he needs to fill holes in a squad. As far as tactics go, imo you just need to look at how he shut down Barba and Hayne at the peak of their abilities to win GF’s (yes he cheated against the eels. Again I’ll never forgive him do that).

To see how impactful a player or coach is, look at how many rules need to be changed or looked at because they’ve found a way to exploit them. The long kicks dead, the slow rucks. Yeah it’s grimey and not good for the game but it takes a good tactician to find and push those boundaries.
I can see what you’re saying, and fair enough. Personally, I don’t think manipulating or flat-out breaking the rules to be successful is the sign of a good coach.

I think making your team play better football than all the other teams is the sign of a good coach. Robinson did this in the GF, out-coached Bellamy like he was a rookie and did so by employing a great game-plan.

But you’re right, this isn’t particularly relevant to the thread.

I believe in Demetriou.

I also believe in Seibold.

I'd enjoy Kevin as coach, although that would mean Oates moving to backrow is imminent.

I think we win regardless. Time for a change.

How would you know what the new coach will do ?

educated guess ....

because we have a ton of backrowers, all of whom are better in the position than Oates.

and we have **** all wingers, not to mention that Oates is one of the best in the comp.

if any coach was to move Oates in those circumstances, then he clearly isn't doing whats in the clubs best interest, so would have no business being our new coach

educated guess ....

because we have a ton of backrowers, all of whom are better in the position than Oates.

and we have **** all wingers, not to mention that Oates is one of the best in the comp.

if any coach was to move Oates in those circumstances, then he clearly isn't doing whats in the clubs best interest, so would have no business being our new coach

I wouldn't be so sure , but i do agree we are stocked with some good backrowers. And i am also worried about our lack of back depth

not with us it wouldn't

Kev was the one who dropped Oates from the wing in Origin because he has said multiple times he doesn't believe Oates is a winger. He said when Oates plays backrow for club then he will be in consideration for the best 17 for QLD. He put pressure on Bennett to shift him but you know how stubborn Bennett is. I think they could have had a little disagreement there.. Kev trying to undermine the club coach.

Madge's record is worse then I thought. 12th for 2 seasons in a row. What the hell Madge lovers??

Madge's record is worse then I thought. 12th for 2 seasons in a row. What the hell Madge lovers??

I support Madge for the job, but I'm not a Madge "lover"

Those that support him for the role look to his disciplinarian style, and the fact he has won an NRL premiership and a SL one as well

They are big plusses on his resume

However I don't think he is the be all and end all of coaches or a guarantee of success, but then again I don't think anyone is

Kev was the one who dropped Oates from the wing in Origin because he has said multiple times he doesn't believe Oates is a winger. He said when Oates plays backrow for club then he will be in consideration for the best 17 for QLD. He put pressure on Bennett to shift him but you know how stubborn Bennett is. I think they could have had a little disagreement there.. Kev trying to undermine the club coach.
If Kev drops any one of our pack or bench for Oates, (especially as we have very little depth to replace him on the wing) then he has no business being our coach.

If Kev was trying to "undermine the head coach" then he has no business working for this club.

Bennett never moved Oates because it was (and remains) in the club's best interest for Oates to play wing.

Active Now

• Lurker
  • achievedrap
  • Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  • Fatboy
  • kiwibronco
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.