Denan Kemp

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/spor ... 09,00.html

"DENAN Kemp is back in Brisbane and hell-bent on fighting his way into the Broncos' vacant No. 1 jumper.
After a horror move across the Tasman to the Warriors, which ended with an early release last month, Brisbane's 2008 try-scoring whiz is thrilled to be back home.

And in a bullish attempt to scrape his way into the fullback spot vacated by Karmichael Hunt, Kemp has been secretly slaving away on an off-season boxing training regime.

"In the perfect world I'd love to be fullback, I'd love that No. 1 jumper, but I know I've got a lot to work on," Kemp said.

"My goal is to get back in the first grade squad for round 1, no matter what position.

"I'm most comfortable at fullback, I've always dreamed in the long run that's where I'd be, if I'm good enough.

"It's where I made my debut and I'd love to do it if I'm up to it."

Keen to again impress Broncos coach Ivan Henjak, who scouted the schoolboy soccer star, Kemp has been working under renowned boxing trainer and former state league player Gareth Williams.

The "extras" program at the Griffith University gym is designed to ensure the 22-year-old flyer reports to pre-season testing on November 13 in top shape.

With every punch, Kemp is both slowly eroding the frustrations of his doomed Auckland move and steeling his bid to reignite his NRL career at Red Hill.

"I'm the kind of guy who tries to take positives out of everything," Kemp said. "I can't sit here and say I regret going to the Warriors but there were times I was thinking 'what's going on? I was going so well and now I'm struggling'.

"I was really disappointed personally. I had such high expectations on myself and it feels like I've taken a few steps backwards.

"But maybe it will make me better, it's really driving me for next year. I've got lots of goals and I'm really, really pumped.

"It's only a mistake if you don't learn from it. It's made me more focused on what I want."

During his unhappy stint in Auckland, Kemp managed only 10 NRL games and one try.

After falling out of favour with Warriors coach Ivan Cleary, he was languishing in the NSW Cup with Auckland Vulcans when granted an early severance deal.

"I obviously wasn't what they needed," he said.

"Maybe I didn't suit their style. It was an unfortunate year for the club in general and I was the one who ended up in a bad situation.

"I thought if I'm playing reserve grade, I'd rather do that back home. It's awesome to be home."

Kemp's move to Auckland 12 months ago came after he went within a whisker of bursting into Queensland's Origin side amid a sparkling 2008 on Brisbane's flank.

He finished the '08 season as the club's top try-scorer, bagging 19 four-pointers in 24 games."

This makes me very excited. Great Attitude. Cant wait to see him back in the broncos jersey - how good is it seeing him in the broncos training gear! Oh YEAH!

what an attitude! good on him, i bet he dreams of the broncos jersey.

What a legend. Love Kempy! Can't wait to see him back! Best of luck mate!

Coxy said:
MIKEY said:
crash and burn mav....

I think I speak for all of BHQ when I ask...eh?

I think denan kemp will crash and burn ( you know , off top gun:P)
i think josh hoffman should be first choice at fullback

Ohhh it was a Top Gun quote. I can forgive that.

I hate that guy *wipes coffee off chest*

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Big Del
  • Strop
  • mrslong
  • Waynesaurus
  • Sproj
  • winslow_wong
  • Astro
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Aldo
  • Foordy
  • Bish
  • Adammacca
  • Fozz
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • The Don
  • Harry Sack
  • broncos4life
  • Brocko
  • BroncosAlways
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.