RUMOUR Did Brodie Croft just become a Bronco over brunch at a Sydney cafe?

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
EXCLUSIVE: Did Brodie Croft just become a Bronco
over brunch at a Sydney cafe?

James Hooper
Foxsports
September 26, 2019 1:01pm

Anthony Seibold and Brodie Croft.

Anthony Seibold and Brodie Croft.Source: Supplied

This is the photograph that confirms the Brisbane Broncos are in discussions with out-of-favour Melbourne Storm halfback Brodie Croft for next season. Sitting in East Sydney’s The Arch Cafe on Stanley Street, the Broncos coach and his prospective halfback for next season held talks for around an hour earlier today. Croft took the Melbourne Storm to the grand final last season and had them sitting on top of the NRL ladder two months ago when Craig Bellamy and the Storm’s senior players decided they needed to get Ryan Papenhuyzen into the starting side.

Croft took the Melbourne Storm to the grand final last season and had them sitting on top of the NRL ladder two months ago when Craig Bellamy and the Storm’s senior players decided they needed to get Ryan Papenhuyzen into the starting side.

Fox Sports initially learned Seibold had been offered the Storm “work-in-progress” halfback a month ago when Melbourne initially made the hard-line call to drop Croft out of their top NRL 17-man squad. It was a brutal call from Melbourne considering the playmaker, long regarded as the heir apparent to Cooper Cronk, had taken the Storm into last year’s grand final and was widely-regarded as a solid all-round NRL player.

Brodie Croft is on the outer at Melbourne.

Brodie Croft is on the outer at Melbourne.Source: AAP

The link to the Broncos makes sense because Croft is originally from Queensland and was a member of the Brisbane Anglican Church Grammar First XV in rugby alongside Kalyn Ponga and Jaydn Su’A. Croft was a winger in his schoolboy days before being developed into a halfback in the highly-regarded Storm system. Croft is not the only player currently on the outer at the Storm with Queensland Origin centre Will Chambers axed to the bench for last Saturday night’s sudden death semi-final win over the Parramatta Eels.

Chambers has since been linked with a move to overseas European rugby for next season.
Both Croft and Chambers are still signed on the Storm’s roster for next year but are clearly being shopped to rival clubs. The Broncos are reviewing their roster and leadership group following their horror loss to Parramatta in the opening week of the finals.

The spotlight is on the club’s spine, with reports Anthony Seibold is set to abandon Darius Boyd’s move to five-eighth and instead play him in the centres. The likes of Anthony Milford, Jake Turpin, Tom Dearden and Sean O’Sullivan also featured in the halves throughout the year, as did Kodi Nikorima who was released to the Warriors mid-season.

Last edited:
given that the photo was taken from the back, when they could have very easily gotten a front on shot), It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest for an NRL journo to set that up with look-a-likes in order to justify what said journo has been claiming

given that the photo was taken from the back, when they could have very easily gotten a front on shot), It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest for an NRL journo to set that up with look-a-likes in order to justify what said journo has been claiming

Haha i thought I was overly suspicious.

Pretty sure there's actually a video of the brunch floating around somewhere on the Fox website. It looked like an episode of Cheaters. The media is fucked up man.

There is CCTV video footage of them walking in, it's almost certainly Seibold & Croft.

and thats the best screen shot they could pull from that video :rofl

That's not a screen shot from the video, that's a photo that somebody has taken, here's the video -

If that's not Seibold, it's someone who should be working as a body double for him.

I'm dubious about getting someone elses cast offs, even if any of them would be an improvement.

That's not a screen shot from the video, that's a photo that somebody has taken, here's the video -

If that's not Seibold, it's someone who should be working as a body double for him.
That's the shittest video I've watched since One Night in Paris.

I don't mind Croft but they need a bigger name than him to lead this side around. He reminds me a lot of Nikorima, a good running game and fast but just like Kodi, his kicking game and defensive skills need plenty of work. At least he has got youth on his side.

That's the shittest video I've watched since One Night in Paris.

That looks like a Nike jacket to me, I think I can see a swoop. Croft is sponsored by Nike.

C o n f i r m e d

Arrived together. Left together. That's no meeting, that was a date.

Anthony Seibold meets with
out-of-favour Melbourne halfback Brodie Croft

The Daily Telegraph
September 26, 2019 1:15pm

A top secret meeting in a Sydney cafe has offered the greatest indication yet Brodie Croft will be a Bronco in 2020. Fox Sports’ James Hooper revealed Croft and Brisbane coach Anthony Seibold were sighted at The Arch Cafe on Stanley Street on Thursday. The two spoke for about an hour before departing.

Croft has dropped down the pecking order in Melbourne. Photo by Daniel Pockett/Getty Images.

Croft has dropped down the pecking order in Melbourne. Photo by Daniel Pockett/Getty
Images.

Croft has been linked with a move to the Broncos for several weeks after he was dropped late in the season despite helping steer Melbourne to the minor premiership. Even Croft’s Wikipedia page has already been updated to show him joining the Broncos from next season. The 22-year old Toowoomba product started at halfback for the Storm in last year’s grand final but was dropped after the Round 22 loss to Canberra. Given Brisbane’s lack of experience in the halves, Croft may be the man to right the ship. After their disastrous 58-0 loss to Parramatta two weeks ago, the Broncos have been desperate to secure a top class halfback for next season.

Could Croft be the man for Brisbane? Picture by Alix Sweeney.
C
ould Croft be the man for Brisbane? Picture by Alix Sweeney.

The inexperienced Sean O’Sullivan is expected to miss much of next year with a knee injury while Jake Turpin is tipped to slot into hooker. Young gun Tom Dearden is viewed as the club’s long-term halfback but is still a teenager.

[automerge]1569469864[/automerge]
Screenshot 2019 09 26 Brodie Croft   Wikipedia

Last edited:
is it really a "top secret" meeting when you do it at a cafe in the middle of Sydney

if they really wanted it to be secret, it would have been done in Melbourne

Last edited:
is it really a "top secret" meeting when you do it at a cafe in the middle of Sydney

if they really wanted it to be secret, it would have been done in Melbourne
He's not even in the reserves for Saturday:

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Mustafur
  • Harry Sack
  • Swordfish
  • theshed
  • Broncosgirl
  • mitch222
  • Stix
  • RolledOates
  • Jedhead
  • Fitzy
  • broncsgoat
  • MrTickyMcG
  • FACTHUNT
  • Manofoneway
  • Xzei
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
  • Culhwch
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.