Drop milford

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Apr 26, 2008
He's just a troll.
Or he must have a different opinion. So what. I think Milf is trash, Bgoat thinks he's worth persisting with. He's not objectively wrong, RL is a hard sport to judge talent in because so much of it depends on how the whole engine turns over.

I don't get why people get worked up about Bgoat having a different opinion.

broncsgoat

State of Origin Rep
Oct 28, 2013
Or he must have a different opinion. So what. I think Milf is trash, Bgoat thinks he's worth persisting with. He's not objectively wrong, RL is a hard sport to judge talent in because so much of it depends on how the whole engine turns over.

I don't get why people get worked up about Bgoat having a different opinion.
Because I was right about seibold

mstreet

BRL Player
Sep 3, 2020
As Milford's 2nd biggest advocate - for the moment - he would do much better with a dominant half, a dominant hooker and a dominant FB, none of which we have. So dropping Milford will certainly satisfy those who think he is largely responsible for our woes, but of course, it won't solve anything.

We need a "whole of team" approach. Milford sucks at the moment, but then, so does every one of our (non) playmakers, behind a simplistic forward game plan and a shitty defence which is still stuck in 2015.

it would also be so nice to have support in place as a given every time Haas and TPJ get the ball, similar to what happens with NAS and Paps.
This. Unfortunately, Milford signed a mega contract which came with mega expectations. Neither party knew who Milford was, truly as a player. Both parties now know that he is a confidence player, likes to go missing, plays what's in front of him, struggles with his playing weight, turnstile in defence and is lucky that breathing is automated. He is an X factor that needs a lot of things to go right before he can take off. Nothing wrong with that. Very handy player to have in your side. Any team would be delighted to have him for 350-450k. He has a big step on him, hard to hold down in broken play, quick acceleration, great bomb, deft short kicking game. Struggling to think of his passing game...No one would be saying anything if he was correctly valued. A lot of things fell into place for Milford in 2015. Coaching staff, tackle bot in McCullough, Hunt and Milford ambushed the comp, etc. I would love to keep him but at 400k. It would be in his best interest to accept less so we could spend more on giving him a spine that empowers him, or he finds a dominant club. But a dominant club is only going to offer 30-40% of his current salary. A struggling club would be very wary of him. It is a shame. Would staying in Canberra been in his best interests. Staying fullback? Pies failed to understand him. But Pies fails to understand people..idiot-savant without the savant bit....

KickHaas

NYC Player
Jul 21, 2017
This. Unfortunately, Milford signed a mega contract which came with mega expectations. Neither party knew who Milford was, truly as a player. Both parties now know that he is a confidence player, likes to go missing, plays what's in front of him, struggles with his playing weight, turnstile in defence and is lucky that breathing is automated. He is an X factor that needs a lot of things to go right before he can take off. Nothing wrong with that. Very handy player to have in your side. Any team would be delighted to have him for 350-450k. He has a big step on him, hard to hold down in broken play, quick acceleration, great bomb, deft short kicking game. Struggling to think of his passing game...No one would be saying anything if he was correctly valued. A lot of things fell into place for Milford in 2015. Coaching staff, tackle bot in McCullough, Hunt and Milford ambushed the comp, etc. I would love to keep him but at 400k. It would be in his best interest to accept less so we could spend more on giving him a spine that empowers him, or he finds a dominant club. But a dominant club is only going to offer 30-40% of his current salary. A struggling club would be very wary of him. It is a shame. Would staying in Canberra been in his best interests. Staying fullback? Pies failed to understand him. But Pies fails to understand people..idiot-savant without the savant bit....
Wall of text critted me for over 9000!

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Player
Oct 23, 2013
Well, again you argue cogently. My point about trying to explain in large part, Milford's poor form is not in terms of its "someone else’s responsibility" but rather, it's hard to be a dominant playmaker if the spine of which you are part just can't get it together, and hasn't for years. I think your 2nd paragraph really says it all. The thing is, we haven't had that quality in the spine since Hunt left and Darius was playing great footie at the back. Milford, as a confidence player has, as a result, just declined. The consequence of a shitty spine (amongst other things) is that Milford has just lost his desire to play. His confidence is shot and I really do think this is his last season with us. However, he is still the only member of our spine with a kicking game and a decent passing game.

I don't see Croft or anyone for that matter as a decent 5/8. So, sure, we could drop Milf and try them, but I just don't see that making any difference. Nevertheless, maybe the best thing to do is just that - get Croft and Dearden in the halves and see what happens. For mine, we will not see any change. In fact, I feel we will go further backwards. But that is just my opinion.

As well, our forwards game plan is, and has been, a dog's breakfast for years. It's a whole of team approach that is needed. A lot needs to be fixed simultaneously, which is why Walters is under so much pressure. There is just so much to fix in this side - again, thanks largely to poor recruitment years ago, and of course, getting rid of Bennett the way we did.

As for me, at 68, I would certainly add a lot to this side with a spine like you mention, but only if the NRL regarded a blow to the head with a walking stick as legitimate defence, or in my case, self defence.
Issue is, Milford is over calling and controlling the attack.. so out of form, he still thinks he's the man for the job and the others are falling into line.

I guarantee with a few weeks under their belts, you could have Dearden 7 and Croft 6 finding their feet with the shackles of quotas and deadlines removed.

Even Turpin deserves to have more responsibility over the team.

Oh and we have just lost the next Ponga fullback in the kid who just signed with the warriors - cause Issako is a myth at 1

This club is so lost. Bring on that second Brisbane team

I bleed Maroon

State of Origin Captain
Apr 17, 2013

We should tape Milford's eyes open and have him watch this game on repeat for 24 hours. Maybe then he will find his love of the game again. The field goal to win this game is probably the absolute peak of his career. It's been all downhill since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamsmith

Members online

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.