Drop milford

You just see what validates your opinion.

The poty reference was to everyone stating that he gave up as soon as he got his big contract which is false, Pies has destroyed him.

Serious question, considering all your preseason predictions regarding Milf, do you blame Milford or Kev for his form this year?

Is he cooked?

Serious question, considering all your preseason predictions regarding Milf, do you blame Milford or Kev for his form this year?

Is he cooked?
He’s not playing well and Kev hasn’t been the coach to bring him back that I hoped he would.

He’s not playing well and Kev hasn’t been the coach to bring him back that I hoped he would.
But why is it someone else’s responsibility to get Milford playing good football?

I am not having a shot at you, it is a serious question.

Would you agree that, for the most part, he looks totally disinterested in doing anything more than the bare minimum. That’s not a coaching problem, or the players around him. That’s all between his ears. If he wanted to fix his shitty attitude that would go a long way toward helping him find form, but he honestly looks like he couldn’t care less.

As probably his biggest advocate on here (again, not a shot), I am genuinely interested to hear your thoughts.

All the criticisms of Milford aside, assuming (and honestly hoping as both parties need to move on) we don’t offer him a new contract, what clubs do you see taking a punt on him?

I was thinking about it this morning and I couldn’t come up with a long list of suitors, particularly not if he wants the big bucks.

It’s honestly hard to see any club offering him more than half his current contract, both in value and duration.

But why is it someone else’s responsibility to get Milford playing good football?

I am not having a shot at you, it is a serious question.

Would you agree that, for the most part, he looks totally disinterested in doing anything more than the bare minimum. That’s not a coaching problem, or the players around him. That’s all between his ears. If he wanted to fix his shitty attitude that would go a long way toward helping him find form, but he honestly looks like he couldn’t care less.

As probably his biggest advocate on here (again, not a shot), I am genuinely interested to hear your thoughts.

As Milford's 2nd biggest advocate - for the moment - he would do much better with a dominant half, a dominant hooker and a dominant FB, none of which we have. So dropping Milford will certainly satisfy those who think he is largely responsible for our woes, but of course, it won't solve anything.

We need a "whole of team" approach. Milford sucks at the moment, but then, so does every one of our (non) playmakers, behind a simplistic forward game plan and a shitty defence which is still stuck in 2015.

it would also be so nice to have support in place as a given every time Haas and TPJ get the ball, similar to what happens with NAS and Paps.

Milford is horrendous.
He is still yet to be dropped which is an absolute disgrace. Sick and tired of people hoping the he will return to 2015/2016 form. I am legit questioning if those years were flukes as we haven’t seen anything even close to what he produced back then..
I am struggling to recall a player that has fallen as far as Milford has and again to think he has never been dropped due to form is inexcusable.
He has now gone through 3 different coaches and has fired in 6 years, he cannot be re-signed.

As Milford's 2nd biggest advocate - for the moment - he would do much better with a dominant half, a dominant hooker and a dominant FB, none of which we have. So dropping Milford will certainly satisfy those who think he is largely responsible for our woes, but of course, it won't solve anything.

We need a "whole of team" approach. Milford sucks at the moment, but then, so does every one of our (non) playmakers, behind a simplistic forward game plan and a shitty defence which is still stuck in 2015.

it would also be so nice to have support in place as a given every time Haas and TPJ get the ball, similar to what happens with NAS and Paps.
The problem I have with the first part of your post is that again, it is someone else’s responsibility to bring Milford’s form up.

I mean, no disrespect, but at close to 70 (I believe?) you’d probably look pretty decent playing 6 if you had Paps at 1, Reynolds at 7 and BSmith at 9 who are all dominant players, but not the best in their respective position.

I agree with your other points though. I remarked last night that I cannot think of a time since 2006 with Hodges at 1 that we had a fullback that followed the ball. The difference between Paps last night and any of our fullbacks of the last decade was simply staggering.

Assuming we aren’t going to offer Milford another contract, I just don’t see how we could be any worse with Croft, Paix, Gamble, KHunt or even Kelly at 6 to partner Dearden. Honesty, aside from a nice torpedo bomb (that Milford strictly will not chase), what else would we miss?

Manly seems like a club he would suit, they are full of big reputation, low output players. Them or the Cows, I would not be surprised if he ends up at either of them. The third option which wouldn't surprise would be Cronulla as a direct swap for SJ.

The problem I have with the first part of your post is that again, it is someone else’s responsibility to bring Milford’s form up.

I mean, no disrespect, but at close to 70 (I believe?) you’d probably look pretty decent playing 6 if you had Paps at 1, Reynolds at 7 and BSmith at 9 who are all dominant players, but not the best in their respective position.

I agree with your other points though. I remarked last night that I cannot think of a time since 2006 with Hodges at 1 that we had a fullback that followed the ball. The difference between Paps last night and any of our fullbacks of the last decade was simply staggering.

Assuming we aren’t going to offer Milford another contract, I just don’t see how we could be any worse with Croft, Paix, Gamble, KHunt or even Kelly at 6 to partner Dearden. Honesty, aside from a nice torpedo bomb (that Milford strictly will not chase), what else would we miss?

Well, again you argue cogently. My point about trying to explain in large part, Milford's poor form is not in terms of its "someone else’s responsibility" but rather, it's hard to be a dominant playmaker if the spine of which you are part just can't get it together, and hasn't for years. I think your 2nd paragraph really says it all. The thing is, we haven't had that quality in the spine since Hunt left and Darius was playing great footie at the back. Milford, as a confidence player has, as a result, just declined. The consequence of a shitty spine (amongst other things) is that Milford has just lost his desire to play. His confidence is shot and I really do think this is his last season with us. However, he is still the only member of our spine with a kicking game and a decent passing game.

I don't see Croft or anyone for that matter as a decent 5/8. So, sure, we could drop Milf and try them, but I just don't see that making any difference. Nevertheless, maybe the best thing to do is just that - get Croft and Dearden in the halves and see what happens. For mine, we will not see any change. In fact, I feel we will go further backwards. But that is just my opinion.

As well, our forwards game plan is, and has been, a dog's breakfast for years. It's a whole of team approach that is needed. A lot needs to be fixed simultaneously, which is why Walters is under so much pressure. There is just so much to fix in this side - again, thanks largely to poor recruitment years ago, and of course, getting rid of Bennett the way we did.

As for me, at 68, I would certainly add a lot to this side with a spine like you mention, but only if the NRL regarded a blow to the head with a walking stick as legitimate defence, or in my case, self defence.

We'll miss the x - factor....none of those other players you mention have it. Milford does

We just haven't seen it as regularly as we would like....of late.

Well, again you argue cogently. My point about trying to explain in large part, Milford's poor form is not in terms of its "someone else’s responsibility" but rather, it's hard to be a dominant playmaker if the spine of which you are part just can't get it together, and hasn't for years. I think your 2nd paragraph really says it all. The thing is, we haven't had that quality in the spine since Hunt left and Darius was playing great footie at the back. Milford, as a confidence player has, as a result, just declined. The consequence of a shitty spine (amongst other things) is that Milford has just lost his desire to play. His confidence is shot and I really do think this is his last season with us. However, he is still the only member of our spine with a kicking game and a decent passing game.

I don't see Croft or anyone for that matter as a decent 5/8. So, sure, we could drop Milf and try them, but I just don't see that making any difference. Nevertheless, maybe the best thing to do is just that - get Croft and Dearden in the halves and see what happens. For mine, we will not see any change. In fact, I feel we will go further backwards. But that is just my opinion.

As well, our forwards game plan is, and has been, a dog's breakfast for years. It's a whole of team approach that is needed. A lot needs to be fixed simultaneously, which is why Walters is under so much pressure. There is just so much to fix in this side - again, thanks largely to poor recruitment years ago, and of course, getting rid of Bennett the way we did.

As for me, at 68, I would certainly add a lot to this side with a spine like you mention, but only if the NRL regarded a blow to the head with a walking stick as legitimate defence, or in my case, self defence.
I want to like and laugh at your post, but I can’t do both 😞

^^THIS^^ ....for the most part, if the guts of what you're saying is, the complete spine, and lets be honest ...the ENTIRE TEAM is fucked.....so why single out Milford as the "one" to get rid of first.?

We'll win more games with him in the team.... than without.

Screenshot 20210403 114703 Facebook
He won't be getting dropped. He is our best half and our forwards are just as shit.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Midean
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.