Eels - 2016 Issues

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Re: Eels Salary Cap Breach

If I'm Nathan Brown at Newcastle I would be looking very closely at that parra rosters and seeing if their is anyone I could convince to join the knights this year. A forward would be the preference.

Tunza's Chin

Tunza's Chin

QCup Player
Apr 17, 2016

As a rugby league fan in general I have to praise the NRL on the punishment here, they have absolutely hit the nail on the head.

Firstly, the best possible outcome for Rugby League in general is too get rid of those dipsticks on the board... Steve Sharp FFS, if brains were dynamite he couldn't blow his ears off. A well run Eels is great for RL in general, so hopefully this will finally be rock bottom for them (although with them it still could be lower.....)

It absolutely sucks for the fans and players that they cop the punishment for the boars ineptitude, but you just cannot under any circumstances have a team that's cheated the salary cap competing in the finals and possibly a premiership. Docking the points they have already won + not letting them earn more until they are under the cap strikes the right balance between punishing the Eels but still giving their fans the faintest glimmer of hope and they players something to play for. Future crowds, TV ratings and all the rest of those sorts of things have been preserved as much as possible for this season.

I probably wouldn't have too much of an issue with the Eels playing on this year with their points intact. Initial reports suggest they are around 500k over, assuming that includes Watmo's $$ I assume they aren't over once his insurance sorts out... As a fan of another club I don't feel too cheated since he hasn't taken the field (although if I were supporting a team below them on the ladder I may feel differently)... And I think a lot of RL fans feel similarly. But the issue is how do you come down hard enough on them that it is a strong enough deterrent for other clubs going forward? I don't think you can, and it does set a bad precedent.

Perhaps if the NRL were to somehow have the ability to punish individual board members/executives heavily through fines, lifetime bans, round up out front of the leagues club and leave them in stocks for a couple of days etc. then that would may cause club bosses to to think twice before getting the brown paper bags out of the desk draw, or betting 50k on a round of golf with an off-contract player. I'm not sure.... But it just seems bloody unfair to league fans in general - I'd much rather 15 other competitive teams to be running around for the Broncos to smash.

Tunza's Chin

Tunza's Chin

QCup Player
Apr 17, 2016

Oh and isn't Semi basically on half time oranges and a lift home after the game ?

I'll personally double that to a life to AND from the game, if someone can pony up some oranges we may be able to help the Eels out, get them under the cap by this arvo :rolleyes:

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014

Manly fans will feel dirty. If they don't have the extra 570k in their salary cap, Foran doesn't sign with them.

Tunza's Chin

Tunza's Chin

QCup Player
Apr 17, 2016

Manly fans will feel dirty. If they don't have the extra 570k in their salary cap, Foran doesn't sign with them.

Was just thinking that - bit like the butterfly effect who knows what could have happened? Maybe Manly keep Foran, Titans keep DCE, who convinces Roberts to stay etc.

Raiders likely to be the big winners - Jnr. Paulo would have to be one of the first cabs off the rank wouldn't he if they have to shed players?

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014

Was just thinking that - bit like the butterfly effect who knows what could have happened? Maybe Manly keep Foran, Titans keep DCE, who convinces Roberts to stay etc.

Raiders likely to be the big winners - Jnr. Paulo would have to be one of the first cabs off the rank wouldn't he if they have to shed players?

Raiders would have to shed a player I reckon. They would be near their salary cap now especially getting Tapine early from the knights

Tunza's Chin

Tunza's Chin

QCup Player
Apr 17, 2016

Raiders would have to shed a player I reckon. They would be near their salary cap now especially getting Tapine early from the knights

I CBF looking it up but I vaguely remember reading Raiders had some $$$ to spare and were looking at him for this year.

If not pretty sure Sisa Waqa asked for a release didn't he?

Paulo is exactly what the raiders need though this season, they've certainly got a pretty good roster now.

EDIT: Foxsports article that's just come up reckons they have the $$$ to get Paulo in.

Last edited:
mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014

Paulo wouldn't fix everything though. I doubt he would be on 550k this year at the eels and that's what they need to get rid of.

Tera

Tera

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2014

Wouldn't mind signing De Gois - defensive workhorse and would slot in for McC nicely if injured.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014

No way do we have any cap space for De Gois.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

We need to get De Gois if we can. Our #9 depth is horrible but that's assuming he's willing to play reserves most of the time.

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008

Have a look at Norman's face on the front page of news.com.au ROR

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011

I feel very sorry for the players, coaching staff and fans of Parramatta. They've been betrayed by someone else's greediness and are paying for something they had nothing to do with. Credit to the NRL for coming down on them. Can't imagine what the Eels fans and players are feeling, they at last were looking good and showing their best form for years and now this has potentially ruined their season and roster.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009

Watmough will surely retire, won't he? That'll count for most of the shortfall.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

Maybe the Watmough situation is more complex than we think. IIRC the new agreement says that if a player has to retire prematurely, then the player is entitled to their full contract worth, but the club does not have to carry the full amount in the cap. That does sound like it will be the simplest solution, however because he has yet to retire maybe only the remaining part of his contract would be partially exempt once he does retire, therefore the pre-season and first 9 rounds will be fully included in the cap, which would end up being more than half of a year's salary anyway (considering contracts go from October to October or whatever).

I still think the NRL is deliberately ignoring the role of the player's managers in all of this. They know the rules and regulations for 3rd party deals. If what I'm reading is true, the problem is that these deals have been struck with official club sponsors - surely that's something the managers should be checking? Either they're in on the rort, or they're grossly incompetent.

Tunza's Chin

Tunza's Chin

QCup Player
Apr 17, 2016

Watmough will surely retire, won't he? That'll count for most of the shortfall.

How quick insurance sorts out is probably out of Parra's control though but that'd be the best fix.

That's a toughie now I think about it. If your in charge of Parra right now do you just sit tight and wait for Watmough's $$$ to get off the cap? Unlikely it'd be sorted before their next game considering how long its dragged on already, so they might end up playing for no points and completely shut the door on making the eight this season... But if you have a fire sale you start to damage next season and lose players you might otherwise keep. So do they write off this season with an eye to the next.

570k is a bit of cash - do they have to replace those spots in their 25 or can they have a squad with less players? If they have to replace them with guys on minimum wage it makes things harder again - they'd be more likely to lose someone they want to keep.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

The Daily Telegraph reported the Eels were found to have been more than $3 million over the salary cap in a recent season.

How?!?!?!?!?! I know there were some surprisingly large contract figures thrown about.

$450k for Norman
$550k for Sandow
$450k for Lussick
$800k for Hopoate
Who knows what for Hayne

But they didn't all play in the same seasons (Hayne didn't play beside Hoppa, for example). Were these figures not even close to what the players were really paid? It's insane.

Active Now

• broncs30
  • porouian
  • Broncorob
  • Allo
  • Financeguy
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Locky24
  • Fitzy
  • Richby
  • Sproj
  • Fatboy
  • Justwin
  • Wild Horse
  • Brotherdu
  • GCBRONCO
  • Spooky1013
  • upthebroncs
  • Harry Sack
  • MrTickyMcG
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 21 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.