Eels - 2016 Issues

Tunza's Chin

Tunza's Chin

QCup Player
Apr 17, 2016
Re: Eels Salary Cap Breach

well a smart board wouldn't have taken the risk of doing anything dodgy while under investigation, the order goes something like this

smart boardrooms

good boardrooms

decent boardrooms

poor board rooms

completely fucking stupid boardrooms

daylight

daylight

daylight

daylight

Parramatta's boardroom

That's just an insult to daylight....

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014

What really is mind boggling, is that they were never even close to being contenders (wooden spoon not included) during that period! :noidea:

Sharks and Eels just don't know how to cheat.

A bit embarrassing.. Well, for them. I find it fucking hilarious.

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008

Have a look at Norman's face on the front page of news.com.au ROR

5af0c3aaa60315c1259a4f0650356ea9

Hilarious.

Anyway, the Eels have launched legal action regarding the de-registered officials. Why bother? Those dopes oversaw a $3 million salary cap rort that delivered nothing.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008

Bringing the cap into line will be a bit harder than just flicking Watamong even if that could be done quickly.

Contracts start on November 1 so any payments to date count. This means if a player is on $400k, because $200k has already been paid flicking that player would only free up the remaining $200k.

The Parra board potentially will be up on criminal charges as well because of how they were rorting the system.
Having suppliers invoice the club for say $120k instead of $80k (the proper amount of whatever job they were doing) then giving the extra $40k directly to the player would be a misuse of club funds.

The NRL has been investigating the dodgy invoices for a few weeks and if proven they will hand over to the police.

Last edited:
ChewThePhatt

ChewThePhatt

NRL Player
Contributor
Dec 28, 2015

Im thinking the Eels can go a couple of ways here...
1. Decimate the best and most successful squad they've had in years & bust a nut all year to maybe (with a miracle run) finish in 10th spot. Or...
2. Say **** playing for points this year. Spend the rest of the season playing at 80-85% to to reduce injury risk & work on there combinations & game plays. Keep the roster intact & give depth players some 1st grade experience. It also gives them the rest of the yeat to give Foran all the time he needs & to finalize Watmoughs insurance. No Watmough next year is 750-800k....
No finals means an early finish to this season & a longer preseason. Come out in 2017 with squad intact & rip it up.
I don't know much but this has to be worth a thort. What do you think?

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008

1. Decimate the best and most successful squad they've had in years & bust a nut all year to maybe (with a miracle run) finish in 10th spot. Or...
2. Say **** playing for points this year. Spend the rest of the season playing at 80-85% to to reduce injury risk & work on there combinations & game plays. Keep the roster intact & give depth players some 1st grade experience. It also gives them the rest of the yeat to give Foran all the time he needs & to finalize Watmoughs insurance. No Watmough next year is 750-800k....
No finals means an early finish to this season & a longer preseason. Come out in 2017 with squad intact & rip it up.

That is the best way to get injured.

thort?? WoW

Last edited:
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

First of all, we all knew something stuck in the Parramatta boardroom, but nobody could even begin that it was THIS rancid. What more can be said? They screwed over their coaches, their players, their fans and this is going to take a few years to clean up.

The whole season has been tainted. Not only did the Eels try to give themselves a boost, they screwed over other clubs to make it happen. I actually think the Eels should accept the exact same punishment as the Melbourne Storm and be forced to compete for zero points. In this case, I actually think what Parra did here was way worse than what Melbourne did. At least Melbourne developed those players and made them the stars they were. Parra simply out-bid other clubs and used nefarious means to do so. I think the punishment should be more severe, like a $1 000 000 penalty on their salary cap spending on 2017 and $500 000 for 2018. Clearly the message wasn't heard loud and clear during the Melbourne debacle, the only way clubs are going to take it seriously is if you punish them over a longer term.

As for changes, I don't think they'll get by on Watmough and Morgan alone. I think they'll have to release a bunch of lower graders including Tanginoa, King and Fuimaono. I'd take the latter two before I'd take De Gois by the by. King was given his debut by Bennett at the Dragons and was considered the best dummy half coming through till a series of injuries set him back. In a pinch, he'd be a handy acquisition. Fuimaono is one of the best edge players coming through the grades and would be a steal in this situation. I doubt Brisbane have the cap to maneuver (after signing Pangai Jr and Roberts) but if they were, they're the players I'd be looking at.

Then again, other clubs should be as well. Newcastle and the Gold Coast Titans, two of the struggling clubs should profit from this.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

Well they have Norman and others off contract so they will probably lose them and goodbye next year anyway.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014

Who's going to take Norman for the price he wants?

I imagine they would have a very hard time getting rid of him within the time slot they have.

He is asking for too much. Well beyond his worth.

Tunza's Chin

Tunza's Chin

QCup Player
Apr 17, 2016

I was thinking along those lines as well to be honest. Not the 80-85% part, they'll still have a crack at winning games, besides, if they phone it in every game for the rest of this season and get pumped they won't be able to just flick a switch and start winning again. They've gotta try and keep winning.

Thinking about it today it's pretty simple what their only course of action is.

If they can get under the cap in two weeks only shedding player's they wouldn't be keeping next year (Paulo, Gordon/Gower maybe, depending on whether they think they can keep both maybe one of Peats/Norman) then pull the trigger and move on.

But, if they reckon they want to keep Gordon (who I reckon was a great buy, attack hasn't hit the mark yet but still), Peats, Norman etc and that they will be able to once Watmough comes through then why would you bother trying to get under the cap this season if its going to ruin the next.

Realistically I think they were at least a year off anyway even if this hadn't all happened before they can consider their premiership window open, assuming they keep progressing at the same rate. So if they can keep the squad together this could potentially have a silver lining down the track - I reckon it's either going to tear the team apart or really bring them together.

Getting em to not put in full throttle is a bit silly though, like I said I still reckon they'd need a year developing as a team before their real contenders - they've gotta play hard and to win if that's going to happen. The way they manage injuries is about the only change they should make - take any elective surgery so they players all right to start the pre-season. And potentially move someone like Gordon on for old mate from the 9's if thats the way they wanted to go next year.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013

Suck shit Norman you little turd

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015

Who's going to take Norman for the price he wants?

I imagine they would have a very hard time getting rid of him within the time slot they have.

He is asking for too much. Well beyond his worth.

882620-fe053e24-84bc-11e3-b9d4-ee96a3e30d81.jpg

Tunza's Chin

Tunza's Chin

QCup Player
Apr 17, 2016

First of all, we all knew something stuck in the Parramatta boardroom, but nobody could even begin that it was THIS rancid. What more can be said? They screwed over their coaches, their players, their fans and this is going to take a few years to clean up.

The whole season has been tainted. Not only did the Eels try to give themselves a boost, they screwed over other clubs to make it happen. I actually think the Eels should accept the exact same punishment as the Melbourne Storm and be forced to compete for zero points. In this case, I actually think what Parra did here was way worse than what Melbourne did. At least Melbourne developed those players and made them the stars they were. Parra simply out-bid other clubs and used nefarious means to do so. I think the punishment should be more severe, like a $1 000 000 penalty on their salary cap spending on 2017 and $500 000 for 2018. Clearly the message wasn't heard loud and clear during the Melbourne debacle, the only way clubs are going to take it seriously is if you punish them over a longer term.

As for changes, I don't think they'll get by on Watmough and Morgan alone. I think they'll have to release a bunch of lower graders including Tanginoa, King and Fuimaono. I'd take the latter two before I'd take De Gois by the by. King was given his debut by Bennett at the Dragons and was considered the best dummy half coming through till a series of injuries set him back. In a pinch, he'd be a handy acquisition. Fuimaono is one of the best edge players coming through the grades and would be a steal in this situation. I doubt Brisbane have the cap to maneuver (after signing Pangai Jr and Roberts) but if they were, they're the players I'd be looking at.

Then again, other clubs should be as well. Newcastle and the Gold Coast Titans, two of the struggling clubs should profit from this.

This was my initial thoughts as well. But the problem is it damages the fans, the players, and rugby league in general.

It's the head office that needs to be punished and I'm not really sure what jurisdiction the league has. As long as they are all out of a job and never given the chance to work in RL again. Are those muppets really going to care that much if they see Parra dead last again next season while their in the Centrelink queue? Once their out on their arses its not a punishment too them.

When we say punish the club what do we mean? It's head office, not the fans or any else that cheats the cap. Even if you say the player/agents had to have some idea, the boards the only ones with the means to do so! The fans certainly didn't know shit! Salary cap penalties next season only punish the innocent parties, I am definitely against it.

And even as a Broncos fan it gives me the absolute shits that rugby league has to give a free leg up to the Wanderer's and GWS, and see one of the Sydney clubs I actually want to stay in the competition crippled, all because of a bunch of turds in Parra's head office.

NRL HQ obviously registers club bosses if their being suspended or whatever. Can we set up severe punishments for the next club official as part of that? As far as I am concerned if a club is ever caught cheating the cap all the board/executives can be banned for life for Rugby League regardless of the circumstances/their culpability. If it happens at your club too bad too sad your out for life without exception, so you damn well better make sure it doesn't happen.

Last edited:
Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

And they wanted to sign Folau as well...

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013

Apparently they're looking to move on Semi.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

But the problem is it damages the fans, the players, and rugby league in general.

They did that the moment they cheated and gained an unfair advantage over the rest of the competition.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013

What if the Eels release Junior Paulo early to the Raiders, and the Raiders had to release a young player to free up enough space to sign him, who may want to return home due to home sickness... Wouldn't that be a funny turn of events.

Active Now

• TwoLeftFeet
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosAlways
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Sproj
  • sooticus
  • Jedhead
  • Skyblues87
  • Rowdy124
  • Culhwch
  • Fatboy
  • barker
  • FACTHUNT
  • Bucking Beads
  • Hoof Hearted
  • ozzball
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.