Eels - 2016 Issues

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Re: Eels Salary Cap Breach

Morkel that cracked me up.

But I've actually been pretty impressed with the way Greenberg has handled this saga so far... Although my expectation weren't exactly high for the turd....

Only issue I have is that the NRL's been poking about the Eels books for a while, yet they were still allowed to start this season over the cap. Did they know and let them start while they investigated? Or unable to determine they were over? On NRL 360 Greenberg basically said if their going to hide it there's nothing we can do, we just have to wait for someone to talk. That sounded a little worrying...

An overheated market and a lack of transparency contributed to Parramatta Eels salary cap drama

Pretty long article from Gus. In short the real culprits behind the Eels salary cap drama is the Broncos because we have access to third party money and don't pay overs for our players. Poor old Eels had to much pressure to keep up with us spending $3mill over the cap. (He didn't say Broncos straight up, but doesn't take a genius to figure out who he is talking about).

It fucking shits me that Sydney prics like him go blue in the face talking about all the unfair advantages the Broncos get being in a one club city. They should be looking to us as a shining example. How about you NSWRL try's culling a bunch of Sydney clubs or moving them, so they can bring clubs up to our level, not bring us down?

It was only a matter of time before this came up. Brisbane Bombers will likely start to get some more exposure too.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013

It was only a matter of time before this came up. Brisbane Bombers will likely start to get some more exposure too.

Yep, one of the most common things I read when this all broke yesterday. "...blah blah blah, Broncos ***** blah blah...."

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

Yep, one of the most common things I read when this all broke yesterday. "...blah blah blah, Broncos ***** blah blah...."

i did have to laugh when one of the Roosters fans on LU started trying to convince people that the Roosters didn't have access to large amounts of TPA's

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008

For reference Ryan Morgan has been rumoured to sign with the Storm for a while now, and Anthony Watmough is 100% going to retire - Not sure how much exactly Watmough was on, but that should comfortably cover the $570k

Not necessarily, because the RL financial year runs from November to October. So seven months of that is gone and those payments are already incurred. They can only get rid of 5/12 of the payments. So they actually need at this stage to be cap compliant to effectively get rid of $1.368 million off their cap from the start of the year to be compliant.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014

Its funny. Two years ago when we were a pretty average team no one blinked an eye lid at our side or accused us of cheating the cap. Bam, Bennett comes back last year and now we have been rorting it for years and are well over the cap. Wish people would make their minds up at least. Maybe they cant just accept that our club isn't run by absolute Muppets but actual businessmen who manage our club effectively and our salary cap.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

Not necessarily, because the RL financial year runs from November to October. So seven months of that is gone and those payments are already incurred. They can only get rid of 5/12 of the payments. So they actually need at this stage to be cap compliant to effectively get rid of $1.368 million off their cap from the start of the year to be compliant.

IIRC the NRL have stated that should it be ruled that Watmough has to retire due to injury they will backdate the cap exemption to February.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013

IIRC the NRL have stated that should it be ruled that Watmough has to retire due to injury they will backdate the cap exemption to February.

Lol, of course they would.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008

Yep I thought the same as lynx000 but then I heard the dodgy ruling re Watmeow retiring and backdating the date.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014

I hope Eels make the finals.

And when they do, I hope the NRL find more evidence in the documents they have uncovered and punish them again.

Eels still face the possibility of being penalized again. NRL still haven't gone through everything and apparently there is information they are trying to get but the board are making it difficult for them.

Last edited:
tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015

Footy show saying police are now involved.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014

The NRL are now stating that the Eels will not play for points while the 5 officials to be de-registered remain on the board, even if they become cap compliant.

They are also still waiting fir the requested documentation to fast track Watmough's retirement.

Yep. And the Parra board are fighting it. They took it to the Supreme Court in NSW and got an injunction.

It doesn't look like those 5 board members want to leave.

They have 8 days until their next game. 8 days to get their shit together. They cannot afford to drag it out any longer than that.

Interesting times ahead. I'm quite enjoying it.

Last edited:
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

#12/0

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

I hope they drag it on just long enough to make sure they get the spoon. Cheaters don't deserve to be ahead of a legitimate team.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

It's been reported publicly for well over 6 months now that Parra had to get under the cap for this season. They were warned there would be sanctions if they did not. Regardless of whether the 5 club officials really do have Parra's interests at heart, that they are fighting their sackings because they want to help fix their mess, what are they going to do in 8 days that they couldn't do in 6 months?!?!?!?

The NRL have obviously known that they were over the cap for 2016, but needed hard proof if they were going to sanction them. What's the bet that they uncovered all of the previous years' worth of rorting during that process. It would be poetic if the club was that shit that they potentially could have kept the rorting a secret if they had just done what the NRL asked and fixed their cap situation for this year. Their stubbornness and incompetence is magnificent.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009

They really are such a poor administration. Apparently, the secretary used a dictaphone to record board meetings so that the minutes could be done up accurately.
Thats fine but then the recordings got saved to a club computer.
Imagine the investigators reaction when they found those little nuggets.

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013

Lol at people in other forums and the media calling for TPAs to become transparent/ restricted. It's almost as if they forget that Union exists, a sport with, arguably, bigger cash on offer as it is - we don't have to give our talent another excuse to ditch the sport.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013

They were warned and fined last year for being over the cap. Best solution? Sign Jennings a month or so before the start of the season. The board is clearly incompetent and the fact that they now intend to drag this through the courts shows that they don't give 2 ***** about the club. Pathetic.

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • BroncosAlways
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Culhwch
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Aldo
  • Sproj
  • BroncosMan
  • Johnny92
  • Astro
  • pennywisealfie
  • IceWorks
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.