Eels - 2016 Issues

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Re: Eels Salary Cap Breach

Does anyone think that Parra can still make the finals?

They are now stuck on zero points and you need to win at least 12 games to make the finals and the Eels don't have their best player for god knows how long so they need to go basically unbeaten for the rest of the season.

Tunza's Chin

Tunza's Chin

QCup Player
Apr 17, 2016

They did that the moment they cheated and gained an unfair advantage over the rest of the competition.

Yeah but I am saying the 'they' that cheated wasn't the fans, the players, and rugby league in general.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

But 'they' cheated on behalf of the players and the fans and cheated other players, other fans and the game itself.

Tunza's Chin

Tunza's Chin

QCup Player
Apr 17, 2016

Just watched a video from NRL 360 on Foxsports website where Kenty and Ikin talking to Greenberg about whether the players knew about the cheating and introducing a system that puts responsibility on the players to make sure their compliant with the cap.

What are everyones thoughts on that?

I haven't made up my mind, but first thought is we can't expect players to turn down money. If your boss came to you at work with a 1/4 of your years salary in a brown paper bag I know I wouldn't be asking questions... I'm not sure it's fair asking the players to. Their encouraged to follow directions and guidelines from coaches and the club - again I think its up to the those guys in the top jobs to be held responsible for not putting the player in that position. Obviously that example is a bit of hyperbole, a player would have to know that's cheating. But most of the Eels mess seems to be 3rd party related anyway- it seems like it would be a lot harder for a player to know whether that is legit or not. Greenberg himself today was saying the cap is a very complicated tool.

Tunza's Chin

Tunza's Chin

QCup Player
Apr 17, 2016

But 'they' cheated on behalf of the players and the fans and cheated other players, other fans and the game itself.

Is that enough of a deterrent though? The right deterrent? Doggies, Warriors, Storm, Eels - am I forgetting anyone in the last sixteen years? It doesn't seem to be - between the lot of them it'd be more years then not we have been playing in an uneven competition.

But still, I take your point though. I guess apart from a deterrent to stop it happening again, the punishment also has to make it up to the rest of the competition... If I supported a team who'd lost players to them (that they actually wanted to keep, did us a favour with Norman) or against them this season I might feel like they deserve a harsher penalty.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013

Doesn't Watmough need to have his contract paid out if he retires, making no difference to the Eels cap?

Tunza's Chin

Tunza's Chin

QCup Player
Apr 17, 2016

Doesn't Watmough need to have his contract paid out if he retires, making no difference to the Eels cap?

Sounds like insurance needs to pay it out and be satisfied its a new injury. I'm not sure why the Eels can't stand him down now and argue with insurance later... They would be stupid not to have if they could have. Journo's have been making it sound like they can't yet though.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

New player agreements mean that if a player retires due to injury they get their full payout but the club doesn't carry the full amount under the cap.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

ATO will definitely be sniffing around.

And I want to know exactly how much Ricky Stuart knew about this going on during his tenure ;)

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

They have to be certain that he's retiring for medical reasons, I believe there needs to be independent medical reports recommending he retires but knowing doctors it doesn't seem hard to do that. If they can satisfy that, it won't count off the cap I believe. Or if he has insurance and they pay him out, that doesn't counter either, but that will take a very long time to get sorted.

That being said, since Watmough hasn't said anything officially, maybe he has no intention of retiring? I kind of hope that happens, would be great. I'm half thinking that the retiring rumours were coming out because of the salary cap issues and not because he actually wants to retire.

Last edited:
mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014

Could have used that for when yow yeh got injured

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011

ATO will definitely be sniffing around.

And I want to know exactly how much Ricky Stuart knew about this going on during his tenure ;)

You just can't help yourself hey :)

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008

No doubt Ricky is a complete knob, but I just don't see him being a cheat.

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008

To be fair on the players, its not their fault. Its completely the fault of the board members who operate the club. They are the ones responsible for the club operations and should be ensuring everything is above the line at all times.

If you believe some of methods that were supposedly used to flaunt the salary cap, I don't think the players are exactly squeaky clean.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

13124531_10209614525305550_8055421002465266999_n.jpg

Tunza's Chin

Tunza's Chin

QCup Player
Apr 17, 2016

Morkel that cracked me up.

But I've actually been pretty impressed with the way Greenberg has handled this saga so far... Although my expectation weren't exactly high for the turd....

Only issue I have is that the NRL's been poking about the Eels books for a while, yet they were still allowed to start this season over the cap. Did they know and let them start while they investigated? Or unable to determine they were over? On NRL 360 Greenberg basically said if their going to hide it there's nothing we can do, we just have to wait for someone to talk. That sounded a little worrying...

An overheated market and a lack of transparency contributed to Parramatta Eels salary cap drama

Pretty long article from Gus. In short the real culprits behind the Eels salary cap drama is the Broncos because we have access to third party money and don't pay overs for our players. Poor old Eels had to much pressure to keep up with us spending $3mill over the cap. (He didn't say Broncos straight up, but doesn't take a genius to figure out who he is talking about).

It fucking shits me that Sydney prics like him go blue in the face talking about all the unfair advantages the Broncos get being in a one club city. They should be looking to us as a shining example. How about you NSWRL try's culling a bunch of Sydney clubs or moving them, so they can bring clubs up to our level, not bring us down?

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Culhwch
  • Sproj
  • MrTickyMcG
  • BroncosMan
  • Johnny92
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • broncos4life
  • Astro
  • pennywisealfie
  • IceWorks
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Justwin
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.