Eels - 2016 Issues

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Re: Eels Salary Cap Breach

Can the NRL call a member's vote on behalf of the club? If so, they need to do that.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

They really are such a poor administration. Apparently, the secretary used a dictaphone to record board meetings so that the minutes could be done up accurately.
Thats fine but then the recordings got saved to a club computer.
Imagine the investigators reaction when they found those little nuggets.

my bet ... they all went out and bought gold lotto tickets

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

Weak as piss.

THE NRL have decided to reverse their decision and allow the Eels to accrue points while the five embattled officials fight their deregistration charge.

Initially, it was revealed that club would not be eligible to accrue points before they get under the salary cap and the five named officials and directors stand down.
On Wednesday the ‘five’ in question announced they would be fighting their sacking which put the heat back on the NRL. And as a result, the governing body softened their stance and advised the club and board representatives on Thursday night that they would be eligible to accrue points despite the court action.
The only barrier now preventing the club from accruing points is the outstanding $570,000 on their 2016 salary cap. If the Eels can wipe this sum from their books legally they will be eligible to accrue points.
The ‘gang of five’ will continue to take their matter to the NSW Supreme Court but a date is yet to set.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

Fair enough TBH, if it's gone to court they shouldn't be allowed to punish them for pursuing their legal rights.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009

Yeah, sounds more like a legal technicality than anything.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

The NRL have probably had their hand forced but it's still fucked. Who's the boss of the Eels?

You know what I'd do? I'd use this opportunity to stand up, put the officials in their place, and build some good will with the fans.

"We as a club have decided that we will not play for points until the officials in question have stood down. We agree that they have sullied the name of the club and as such are not fit to be part of the solution. We will play, and we will play our hardest, but should we be winning the game we will send a 14th player on to the field at 79:59 and therefore be stripped of the points".

I wouldn't, I'd be too much of a pussy, but in fantasy land it'd be a bold move.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

ROUND one starts today.
That’s the message Eels coach Brad Arthur will deliver to his entire playing group when at just after 10am, they gather for first time since being relegated to last on the NRL table.
Taking to the training fields of North Parramatta’s Old Saleyards for a two-hour field session, the Eels players will commence an unprecedented form of preparation, gripped by hope, uncertainty and confusion, with their dream of being allowed to play for points again this year in the hands of club salary cap consultant, Ian Schubert.
In what is expected to be a dramatic 48-hours in the club’s history, The Sunday Telegraph has learned:
* Schubert will finally meet with the NRL Monday morning in a bid to remove $570,000 of Anthony Watmough’s contract in order for the Eels to be salary cap compliant.
* No other players will be forced to leave the club should Watmough’s career-ending injury insurance be approved by both NRL Dr Paul Bloomfield and salary cap auditor Jamie L’Oste Brown.

* Schubert hopes to show the NRL the club’s salary cap breach is less than their preliminary findings of $570,000 — opening up the possibility of seeking a reduction from the 12 competition points already lost.

* Eels officials are bracing for their biggest and most emotional crowd of the season at Pirtek with 17,000 fans expected after a 40 per cent increase in ticket sales compared to the corresponding match against Souths last year.
Returning today to the scene of which they were informed of the news by NRL CEO Todd Greenberg and Integrity Unit boss Nick Weeks, the Eels players not involved in representative matches this weekend have spent the past five days trying distance themselves from the turmoil of which has swirled around them.
Despite being offered counselling and support from the club’s player welfare department, the Eels players have chosen instead to prop up each other up over coffee and on instant message service Snap Chat.
The tone of comments haven’t been surprising with much of the talk about winning the next 12 of 15 matches and showing the same resilience of which ignited their best start to a season since 1986.

Co-captain Tim Mannah gave The Sunday Telegraph an insight into the player’s current mindset.
“The key for us though is not getting caught up in the 15 games. As boring as it is, we’ve got to break it down to each game,’’ Mannah said

“This week it’s Souths and that should be our focus.
“If we get caught up in the whole 15 games we could easily take away our focus at the job at hand.
“If anything, I think this is going to galvanise us and that adversity is going to draw us closer and find another level.’’
Of course, Schubert’s meeting with the NRL is critical to any chance of the Eels proving they are salary cap compliant and therefore eligible to acre points.
The NRL have already declared the team can collect points despite five directors inflicting a court injunction, which ends on Monday.
As of Saturday. the five were yet to declare if they were willing to stand down to save the club. However, The Sunday Telegraph has learned at least two of them are willing to step aside to save the club from any further embarrassment.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...l/news-story/427fff7d4ee582d0487c6642224885f6

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

The five directors haven't said they will step aside, but two have thought briefly about it. If you were a Parra fan, you'd be livid and marching up to hq and organizing a riot first thing Monday morning. Selfish, money hungry idiots.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

The "Fuckwit Five" have had the injunction removed. Once again, they must GTFO if the Eels are to accrue points. As it should be.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008

The "Fuckwit Five" have had the injunction removed. Once again, they must GTFO if the Eels are to accrue points. As it should be.

Didn't the NRL backflip on the no points thing based on the board members?

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014

Eels looking to move on Nathan Peats immediately to get under the cap. Absolute ludicrous move if you ask me. He is a very good player and one of the main reason why they are doing well this year. I would be moving on Junior Paulo (who isn't going to be there next year anyways) before moving on your first choice hooker. If Peats does get moved on, Newcastle should snap him up immediately. He is a huge upgrade on the hookers they have at the club now.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

Completely agree with everything you said there [MENTION=8605]mitch222[/MENTION], unless he is on ridiculous money that is set to increase exponentially (which is quite likely given the idiots running that club), it is such a stupid move. Move on Paulo the Lesser and go from there. They will also most likely not be able to re-sign Norman given what he is chasing after so maybe they should move him on. Bad move for this season I know as he has been on fire but if he isn't going to be there next year anyway...I really don't know.

Clintos

Clintos

State of Origin Rep
Apr 8, 2008

Peats as good as gone apparently. I won't believe it until I see it though.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013

I think they need to move on Paulo as well as Peats don't they? Peats cracked the shits last year when they got fined because he had to give back his car.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

1. ???
6. Elgey
7. Taylor
9. Peats

That's a pretty impressive young spine the Titans will have next season. With Cullen as back-up as well, that will definitely be a strength for them.

Unread

Active Now

• rnabokov
  • Mustafur
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.