FOOTBALL English Premier League 23/24 Discussion

Sorry, just a different perspective. We can agree to disagree at the end of the day they're both just opinions

No need to apologise. I just dont see it as that common an occurrence. Almost 1500 transfers in this window between the top clubs in the big leagues, and most players handle it with a bit of class and integrity. I only know 1 Brighton fan personally, so i cant say if they were all happy to see the back of him or not, but he wasnt happy with his conduct but understood his reasons for wanting to move.

Its a lot different from the Nunes situation because Caicedo actually played well for Brighton and they got a very, very good fee for him. Nunes did precious little as a Wolves player then disrespects the club in the process. Thats why he will get way more abuse than Caicedo as he cost a lot of money, got paid a lot of money, didnt perform then had a hissy fit before negotiations had even finished.

No need to apologise. I just dont see it as that common an occurrence. Almost 1500 transfers in this window between the top clubs in the big leagues, and most players handle it with a bit of class and integrity. I only know 1 Brighton fan personally, so i cant say if they were all happy to see the back of him or not, but he wasnt happy with his conduct but understood his reasons for wanting to move.

Its a lot different from the Nunes situation because Caicedo actually played well for Brighton and they got a very, very good fee for him. Nunes did precious little as a Wolves player then disrespects the club in the process. Thats why he will get way more abuse than Caicedo as he cost a lot of money, got paid a lot of money, didnt perform then had a hissy fit before negotiations had even finished.
You do appreciate though that if he hadn't forced the move it's quite possible Wolves don't sell?

The timing of the approach from City sucked for you guys, I'm almost certain it's not something you would have been planning for on deadline day.

You do appreciate though that if he hadn't forced the move it's quite possible Wolves don't sell?

The timing of the approach from City sucked for you guys, I'm almost certain it's not something you would have been planning for on deadline day.

We would have sold just like Brighton did if they matched our fee. Thats the thing that annoys us Wolves fans. The negotiations were still ongoing. We rejected their first offer, and we were still in the process of nutting out a deal when he carried on like a pork chop. We ended up getting pretty much the deal we wanted anyway, so as our sporting director Matt Hobbs said, it wasn't necessary the stance Matheus took.

We were never standing in his way, we just werent letting him go cheaply. Thats why no Wolves fan ever believed their was a release clause even if it was just for one club ( which also makes no sense ). We wouldnt agree to sign a player with huge potential and have a release clause that would have made us about 5 or 6 million profit, probably less after Sporting took their cut. I also cant see how we just decide to remove the clause, that would take both parties permission and i doubt the Nunes would have agreed to it.

I've got no doubts if we didnt get the deal we were after, it wouldnt matter what he did, he wouldnt have been sold. We have never as a club backed down to a player. There is a pretty good reason he's been slammed in the media for his reaction.

As for the second one, you're acknowledging there is contact - that's all there needs to be when a player is running at full pace. He makes the most of it and we can agree it soft but I don't think for a minute it's the wrong dedecision
A very slight touch in the back is very different to a blatant trip as you described it first go round. That touch is not enough for that tumble whatsoever.

We would have sold just like Brighton did if they matched our fee. Thats the thing that annoys us Wolves fans. The negotiations were still ongoing. We rejected their first offer, and we were still in the process of nutting out a deal when he carried on like a pork chop. We ended up getting pretty much the deal we wanted anyway, so as our sporting director Matt Hobbs said, it wasn't necessary the stance Matheus took.

We were never standing in his way, we just werent letting him go cheaply. Thats why no Wolves fan ever believed their was a release clause even if it was just for one club ( which also makes no sense ). We wouldnt agree to sign a player with huge potential and have a release clause that would have made us about 5 or 6 million profit, probably less after Sporting took their cut. I also cant see how we just decide to remove the clause, that would take both parties permission and i doubt the Nunes would have agreed to it.

I've got no doubts if we didnt get the deal we were after, it wouldnt matter what he did, he wouldnt have been sold. We have never as a club backed down to a player. There is a pretty good reason he's been slammed in the media for his reaction.
I really don't know, maybe we're best to just disagree here.

They did you guys dirty by turning his head a few days before the window closed. Fair enough the first offer wasn't enough (you said yourself you guys were looking for a profit so City would have known this too)... but they would have definitely told his agent to agitate for the move. We saw the same thing with Kane last summer (transfer request) and we've seen it before with VVD (when Saints reported LFC), Caicedo even more recently. It's par for the course these days, I think the agent is as much responsible as the player.

It's just the way things go. I genuinely think if he puts his head down and doesn't do anything and trains as usual, you guys turn them away and City buy someone else. He forced your hand by doing what he did, ultimately it meant very little in terms of the fee you got. It was clearly a late deal and the response in terms of your own reaction signings suggest you hadn't planned for it.

As I said in an earlier post, I absolutely understand why he did it too, he wasn't going to take the risk that City would come back later for him. Once in a lifetime move for his career.

A very slight touch in the back is very different to a blatant trip as you described it first go round. That touch is not enough for that tumble whatsoever.

Quite a strong opinion on something that is completely subjective and we can't ever know for sure, but fair enough.

I really don't know, maybe we're best to just disagree here.

They did you guys dirty by turning his head a few days before the window closed. Fair enough the first offer wasn't enough (you said yourself you guys were looking for a profit so City would have known this too)... but they would have definitely told his agent to agitate for the move. We saw the same thing with Kane last summer (transfer request) and we've seen it before with VVD (when Saints reported LFC), Caicedo even more recently. It's par for the course these days, I think the agent is as much responsible as the player.

It's just the way things go. I genuinely think if he puts his head down and doesn't do anything and trains as usual, you guys turn them away and City buy someone else. He forced your hand by doing what he did, ultimately it meant very little in terms of the fee you got. It was clearly a late deal and the response in terms of your own reaction signings suggest you hadn't planned for it.

As I said in an earlier post, I absolutely understand why he did it too, he wasn't going to take the risk that City would come back later for him. Once in a lifetime move for his career.

Quite a strong opinion on something that is completely subjective and we can't ever know for sure, but fair enough.
We really wouldnt have bothered if Citeh walked away. Even if we get left with an unhappy player, we wouldnt have backed down, he wouldnt have forced our hand no matter what. As i said, we have never let a player dicate to us, and tbf, they never have to because we always do the right thing by them.

I'm honestly not convinced either it came from Nunes agent, who is Jorge Mendes, to tell him to have a hissy fit. Not sure if you are aware of his ties to us. He's got a very close relationship with our club to the point where is practically an advisor to our owners. He He's friends with our owner and chairman, and Foyo are part shareholders in his Gestifute group. Foyo are a part of our owners Fosun's conglomerate. Mendes would have got the deal done, he's always done it for us even if we overpay for one player and get say a Moutinho in for 5 million. Makes zero sense whatsoever for a man who has had such a tight relationship with us, and helped Fosun buy the club to instruct Nunes to act like a dog over it. No sense at all.

We had definatley got signings planned before this sale. Every player we sign you can just go onto our website and see the scouting process that went into getting these players, from the first time we scouted them. They are pretty open with all that. The only issue would have been time frame.

Glazers apparently pull United off the market until at least 2025

Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

I'd say claiming that was a blatant trip was a fairly strong opinion too, but fair enough.

Seems like there's quite a bit of infighting in the Glazer family.

They're very much a divided family on what they're going to do with the club and what they want for it. I don't think this is going to be the last we hear of it this year.

We really wouldnt have bothered if Citeh walked away. Even if we get left with an unhappy player, we wouldnt have backed down, he wouldnt have forced our hand no matter what. As i said, we have never let a player dicate to us, and tbf, they never have to because we always do the right thing by them.

I'm honestly not convinced either it came from Nunes agent, who is Jorge Mendes, to tell him to have a hissy fit. Not sure if you are aware of his ties to us. He's got a very close relationship with our club to the point where is practically an advisor to our owners. He He's friends with our owner and chairman, and Foyo are part shareholders in his Gestifute group. Foyo are a part of our owners Fosun's conglomerate. Mendes would have got the deal done, he's always done it for us even if we overpay for one player and get say a Moutinho in for 5 million. Makes zero sense whatsoever for a man who has had such a tight relationship with us, and helped Fosun buy the club to instruct Nunes to act like a dog over it. No sense at all.

We had definatley got signings planned before this sale. Every player we sign you can just go onto our website and see the scouting process that went into getting these players, from the first time we scouted them. They are pretty open with all that. The only issue would have been time frame.
All the stuff about Mendes is lovely and I'm sure most of it is true, however you hit on the key point here. Agents get a huge cut of any transfer deal. With the money that was on the table for Nunes, I'm sure it was in Mendes interests to see if the player was interested.

If there had been any sort of indication from Nunes that he wanted to stay put, the talks would have been shut down real quick.

Ultimately I think if it had been a Liverpool or Spurs that had come in, the outcome would have been very different. As I said from the get go, once City have their eye on a player, there is very little that can be done to stop them - you guys were valiant in holding out for the right price but their pull is enormous. Not many other clubs have their resources, let alone the attraction of Pep and guaranteed trophies.

Nunes did his part. If he did nothing to make it happen then you guys likely hold firm. As you say yourself, the time you had to sort out a replacement was far less than ideal.

We're more than likely going to see something similar unfold over the next few weeks with Salah as Saudi throw massive cash at him to try and force Liverpool's hand.

I'd say claiming that was a blatant trip was a fairly strong opinion too, but fair enough.
Yeah my bad, that was just the impression I got watching the highlights this morning.

I watched it back after you shared the link (different angle too) and it wasn't a trip. There was contact though and that's clearly what both the ref and VAR saw. It didn't change my initial thought.

Unfortunately just can't touch a player who's got the ball running at full speed in the box.
Clumsy defending and Alvarez did what any smart player would and made the most of it.

All the stuff about Mendes is lovely and I'm sure most of it is true, however you hit on the key point here. Agents get a huge cut of any transfer deal. With the money that was on the table for Nunes, I'm sure it was in Mendes interests to see if the player was interested.

If there had been any sort of indication from Nunes that he wanted to stay put, the talks would have been shut down real quick.

Ultimately I think if it had been a Liverpool or Spurs that had come in, the outcome would have been very different. As I said from the get go, once City have their eye on a player, there is very little that can be done to stop them - you guys were valiant in holding out for the right price but their pull is enormous.

Nunes did his part. If he does nothing to make it happen then you guys hold firm.

We're more than likely going to see something similar unfold over the next few weeks with Salah as Saudi throw massive cash at him to try and force Liverpool's hand.

The stuff you are saying about the "lovely " Mendes details is incredibly patronising and coming from somebody who clearly has zero understanding or knowledge of the relationship with Wolves and Mendes. The whole thing has nothing to do with Nunes wanting to leave or indicating he would stay. Nothing at all. We sell the club basically as a stepping stone for players. We buy them, develop them and then hopefully make a profit. Not once under this regime have we ever denied a player a move if the terms are agreeable.

Trying to put it on Mendes is laughable with his relationship with us. He would have no reason whatsoever to advise him to do what he did, especially at that stage of the negotiations when the rat did what he did. Nunes was simply petulant and showed his true colours. No class. As i keep saying, which you seem to ignore, the deal would have got done without Nunes and his snake act because thats what Mendes would have facilitated. We were never stopping him moving clubs, and thats why it was a dog move from him.

And just to educate you on Wolves and Mendes, Mendes facilitates deals for us. Some we do well on, others we are obviously on the Mendes player carousel. He's been doing it for years. How do you think we got players like Saiss, Jota, Boly, Cavaliero, Costa and Neves in the Championship. Its not normal for a Championship club to pull off deals like that. Or get a top European goalkeeper for 12 million like we did with Patricio. Or Moutinho for 5 million. Or Neto for about 12 million. Only an idiot would think Mendes would advise one of his clients to shit on a club he works very closely with just to make a little extra money. He makes plenty of money from Wolves and we have done well at times from him.

I wont carry on anymore about him with you. You dont want to accept he had no need to do what he did because of the Wolves/Mendes relationship. If you choose to ignore that its just down to your own ignorance of what goes on at my football club.

The stuff you are saying about the "lovely " Mendes details is incredibly patronising and coming from somebody who clearly has zero understanding or knowledge of the relationship with Wolves and Mendes. The whole thing has nothing to do with Nunes wanting to leave or indicating he would stay. Nothing at all. We sell the club basically as a stepping stone for players. We buy them, develop them and then hopefully make a profit. Not once under this regime have we ever denied a player a move if the terms are agreeable.

Trying to put it on Mendes is laughable with his relationship with us. He would have no reason whatsoever to advise him to do what he did, especially at that stage of the negotiations when the rat did what he did. Nunes was simply petulant and showed his true colours. No class. As i keep saying, which you seem to ignore, the deal would have got done without Nunes and his snake act because thats what Mendes would have facilitated. We were never stopping him moving clubs, and thats why it was a dog move from him.

And just to educate you on Wolves and Mendes, Mendes facilitates deals for us. Some we do well on, others we are obviously on the Mendes player carousel. He's been doing it for years. How do you think we got players like Saiss, Jota, Boly, Cavaliero, Costa and Neves in the Championship. Its not normal for a Championship club to pull off deals like that. Or get a top European goalkeeper for 12 million like we did with Patricio. Or Moutinho for 5 million. Or Neto for about 12 million. Only an idiot would think Mendes would advise one of his clients to shit on a club he works very closely with just to make a little extra money. He makes plenty of money from Wolves and we have done well at times from him.

I wont carry on anymore about him with you. You dont want to accept he had no need to do what he did because of the Wolves/Mendes relationship. If you choose to ignore that its just down to your own ignorance of what goes on at my football club.
All good, sorry for coming across that way.

Not something I wish to carry on about any further in any case either. I quite like Wolves, some interesting stuff going on behind the scenes and the agent stuff you allude to, but overall I wish them well.

I'm still of the view he goes nowhere without his little charade. We're fine to agree to disagree on that.

We have Villa in an hour or so at home. Really hope we can keep our momentum going

All good, sorry for coming across that way.

Not something I wish to carry on about any further in any case either. I quite like Wolves, some interesting stuff going on behind the scenes and the agent stuff you allude to, but overall I wish them well.

I'm still of the view he goes nowhere without his little charade. We're fine to agree to disagree on that.

We have Villa in an hour or so at home. Really hope we can keep our momentum going

Wolves do have a fair bit going on behind the scenes and interestingly, when our Owner was in the country for the Brighton game there were strong rumours the people around him where Qatari representatives, which is interesting as the ones interested in United were also apparently looking at another Premier League club if that deal collapsed, and Fosun have always said they would look at any offers. With the latest developments with United, maybe there was something in it after all.

Both one of my best mates and my Auntie are both season ticket holders at Anfield. Neither are scousers though. Been to Anfield many, many times with them.

Wolves Enso Gonzalez likely to debut off the bench will be interesting to see what his ability is. Always have so much intrigue of the quality of South American players as there is little comparison. Joao Gomes came last year with the same unknown and he has been great so let’s hope for another gem.

With no Michael Olise, Eberechi Eze will be the main man alone. I am hoping a good performance will get us an important win but scoring goals will be the key to obtaining that. I think a draw or Palace win is most likely as we just haven’t clicked this season since the United game.

These 1:30AM Monday kick offs are an absolute ball breaker for work on Mondays 🤦‍♂️

Crucial 3 next games...

Screenshot 20230903 220143 Facebook

Active Now

• the_next
  • Painin the Haas
  • Dash
  • Hurrijo
  • Robboi_321
  • Cavalo
  • broncoscope
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • Maroon4life
  • Foordy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Dexter
  • heartly87
  • jarro65
  • The True King
  • broncsgoat
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Skyblues87
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.