FOOTBALL English Premier League 23/24 Discussion

2023 and United's CBs being Evans and Maguire. If you don't laugh you'll cry.

Was such a good build up to that Garnacho goal too.

I'm convinced Szoboslai is going to be the best player in the premier league within a couple seasons time.

Aside from being far and away the best technical player on the field in all four games we've played, he's got the one thing that separates the great from the good - an engine.

Early days to be making comparisons but the kid has it all, he's on his way to stardom and worthy of the LFC #8.

Akanji is offside, the ball heading near him, and he moves late which impacts the GKs reaction. You'd be furious if that was given against your side.

As for Blatant trip, no idea what you are seeing. It's the slight touch in the back that he goes over for.

Just quickly - did you think Liverpool's first goal should have stood v Villa?

Plenty seem to think Salah was in an offside position and impacted the keeper.

Just quickly - did you think Liverpool's first goal should have stood v Villa?

Plenty seem to think Salah was in an offside position and impacted the keeper.
Martinez is struggling to see around him but the distance the ball was struck comes into play also.

I found it interesting none of the commentary mentioned it but didn't have too much issue with it.

The header in City's game is travelling far slower and is much closer to the offside player.

Edit: Wrong GK

Pope is struggling to see around him but the distance the ball was struck comes into play also.

I found it interesting none of the commentary mentioned it but didn't have too much issue with it.

The header in City's game is travelling far slower and is much closer to the offside player.
It was Martinez in goal, I'm not sure what your point is around the distance the ball was struck.

It wasn't mentioned immediately by the commentary but the entire half time show was basically the pundits tearing the refs to shreds for missing it and VAR for not overruling it.

This is the issue with overruling the City goal, once you set precedent that any offside player has distracted the keeper it becomes a very slippery subjective slope as to when goals should and shouldn't stand.

There has to be some common sense applied and in both scenarios the keeper wasn't getting near the ball.

It was Martinez in goal, I'm not sure what your point is around the distance the ball was struck.

It wasn't mentioned immediately by the commentary but the entire half time show was basically the pundits tearing the refs to shreds for missing it and VAR for not overruling it.
Meant Martinez, not sure why I wrote Pope. I missed the HT show as I'd flicked over to F1 as the game was done.

Not sure we are ever going to agree which is fine, but I mean the Liverpool goal was from outside the box, across the other side of the goal and at pace.

The header was close to the gk and the offside player. Salah also didn't move for the ball.

Meant Martinez, not sure why I wrote Pope. I missed the HT show as I'd flicked over to F1 as the game was done.

Not sure we are ever going to agree which is fine, but I mean the Liverpool goal was from outside the box, across the other side of the goal and at pace.

The header was close to the gk and the offside player. Salah also didn't move for the ball.
Either way I'm not bothered, I just hope they're consistent with it. Was annoying hearing the pundits pile on the ref when it really had no impact on the goal or the overall outcome.

I'd rather have a conversation about United anyway.

Has to be seriously worrying that Arsenal can play that poorly and still win 3-1. ETH has obviously chosen to die on the hill of transitional counter-attacking football but looking at the United squad what's worrying is the lack of options he's got to change how they play.

If he can't sort this out over the international break and make the system work I doubt he survives past Christmas. Quite a reactional take but I'm basically seeing Ole 2.0 right now and I'm not even sure there's as much quality in the squad as Ole had.

Just watched it again. I think the fact you can't even see anybody from Villa even argue Salah was in the way tells you everything you need to know.

Compare that to the Fulham one.

There's one angle which I remembered from watching it live that showed Martinez trying to see around Salah but that was it.

Stand by what I said. Salah isn't near the ball and it goes in the far side of the goal. Salah doesn't motion towards the ball.

Akanji is close to ball, in line of site of gk, and motions towards the ball which causes Leno to readjust.

Yeah I'm not talking about United past one post. I'm too annoyed and tired.

Pile on all you want like the media has and will, but the fine margins... that offside isn't called we win 2-1. The angle they used for that VAR is shit, and the line is from Garnacho's elbow which you can't score with, but hey. Play pretty ordinary at Emirates and win 2-1 and it's a completely different narrative. Even if they composed and held for 1-1 post offside, it'd be a good result.

Instead they crumble and concede 3 pathetic goals. Last one they are chasing the game, fair enough. First 2 are embarassing. Both CBs tell Eriksen to pick up Odegaard, he doesn't, Ode scores.

Maguire and Evans is embarassing. Playing CB away at Arsenal in 2023. Fucking Luton wouldn't take both of them. The marking from corners all game was bad, but that Rice goal.. speechless. The both of them, fucking statues. No pressure applied at all. Evans getting a contract is disgraceful. Relegated and not wanted by a championship team and the Glazers get him in and spin it as a welcome back campaign.

With Shaw, Varane, Martinez, Lindelof now all injured, unless they come back over international break we will be starting games with Maguire and Evans against Brighton and then Bayern away. Ridiculous.

Style of play is fine, too many times the ball after all that passing in the defensive 3rd found nobody. We instantly looked better with hold up from Hojlund. Amrabat will help with that also.

I trust the process, but there is so much dead weight in the squad and players that needed to be moved on (and brought it) that the glazers have not allowed. Sales were desperately needed and they weren't completed.

Now this shit with Sancho too, disgraceful.

Dunno whether the break has come at a good time or a bad time tbh.

Just watched it again. I think the fact you can't even see anybody from Villa even argue Salah was in the way tells you everything you need to know.

Compare that to the Fulham one.

There's one angle which I remembered from watching it live that showed Martinez trying to see around Salah but that was it.

Stand by what I said. Salah isn't near the ball and it goes in the far side of the goal. Salah doesn't motion towards the ball.

Akanji is close to ball, in line of site of gk, and motions towards the ball which causes Leno to readjust.
Ultimately we're arguing as to whether the GK was impeded by where the attacking player was.

In both scenarios the shot (header for Ake) comes from quite a distance back. We can argue semantics on inside v outside the box, but the header is pretty much on the penalty spot, if not further back. In both cases the ball travels across the keeper and into the far side of the goal. The pace of the ball is an interesting conversation too.

Leno has a clear view of the header and reacts slowly. I don't think Akanji motions towards the ball - he saw it coming, realised he was offside and took action to avoid it (jumping). Salah also realised he was offside and in attempting to get back on side, put himself in front of the GK.

Both scenarios the GK line of sight was impeded by the player that was offside. Now I'm convinced both should have been given as offside haha

Yeah I'm not talking about United past one post. I'm too annoyed and tired.

Pile on all you want like the media has and will, but the fine margins... that offside isn't called we win 2-1. The angle they used for that VAR is shit, and the line is from Garnacho's elbow which you can't score with, but hey. Play pretty ordinary at Emirates and win 2-1 and it's a completely different narrative. Even if they composed and held for 1-1 post offside, it'd be a good result.

Instead they crumble and concede 3 pathetic goals. Last one they are chasing the game, fair enough. First 2 are embarassing. Both CBs tell Eriksen to pick up Odegaard, he doesn't, Ode scores.

Maguire and Evans is embarassing. Playing CB away at Arsenal in 2023. Fucking Luton wouldn't take both of them. The marking from corners all game was bad, but that Rice goalz soeechless. The both of them, fucking statues. No pressure applied at all. Evans getting a contract is disgraceful. Relegated and not wanted by a championship team and the Glazers get him in and spin it as a welcome back campaign.

With Shaw, Varane, Martinez, Lindelof now all injured, unless they come back over international break we will be starting games with Maguire and Evans against Brighton and then Bayern away. Ridiculous.

Style of play is fine, too many times the ball after all that passing in the defensive 3rd found nobody. We instantly looked better with hold up from Hojlund. Amrabat will help with that also.

I trust the process, but there is so much dead weight in the squad and players that needed to be moved on (and brought it) that the glazers have not allowed. Sales were desperately needed and they weren't completed.

Now this shit with Sancho too, disgraceful.

Dunno whether the break has come at a good time or a bad time tbh.
Yeah ridiculous bad luck with those injuries. I think the break has come at the right time, you may even get some fit bodies back. Certainly can't be playing Evans and Maguire week in week out.

Regardless it's clear the squad is not deep enough to sustain any sort of league challenge while also navigating Europe.

Realistically have to just hope to cling on top 4 and that others don't significantly improve and push you guys down the ladder.

Yeah ridiculous bad luck with those injuries. I think the break has come at the right time, you may even get some fit bodies back. Certainly can't be playing Evans and Maguire week in week out.

Regardless it's clear the squad is not deep enough to sustain any sort of league challenge while also navigating Europe.

Realistically have to just hope to cling on top 4 and that others don't significantly improve and push you guys down the ladder.
Yeah, thankfully Chelsea are still shitting the bed and Newcastle have started poorly. Does look like 5th will keep them in UCL but thats not progress on last season at all.

One thing I will say about Ole that people always seem to neglect when comparing to ETH. This squad is fragile as hell, they absolutely do not handle pressure well at all. Huge portion of Ole's good run with that run of games without an away loss was in crowdless covid times. The away record ever since that period ended is absolutely disgraceful. With no crowd they didn't have to deal with it.

Going to be a long long season. Realistically, if they flick ETH it'll just be spinning wheels until the Glazers leave so changes can actually be made. Will never dispute money does and has been getting spent, but it's just done so poorly. The club has some rotten cores that need to be forced out and have needed to be forced out for a while. Currently, there's not an 11 that can be put out that are anywhere near capable of playing how ETH wants.

Yeah, thankfully Chelsea are still shitting the bed and Newcastle have started poorly. Does look like 5th will keep them in UCL but thats not progress on last season at all.

One thing I will say about Ole that people always seem to neglect when comparing to ETH. This squad is fragile as hell, they absolutely do not handle pressure well at all. Huge portion of Ole's good run with that run of games without an away loss was in crowdless covid times. The away record ever since that period ended is absolutely disgraceful. With no crowd they didn't have to deal with it.

Going to be a long long season. Realistically, if they flick ETH it'll just be spinning wheels until the Glazers leave so changes can actually be made. Will never dispute money does and has been getting spent, but it's just done so poorly. The club has some rotten cores that need to be forced out and have needed to be forced out for a while. Currently, there's not an 11 that can be put out that are anywhere near capable of playing how ETH wants.
100% agree but this is where ETH needs to show his quality as a manager and adapt how they play.

If he keeps going into games trying to play the same way and getting poor results he's going to deserve to get walked. The owners aren't responsible for tactics and team selection.

The best find a way to make it work and there's no denying there is still quality throughout that squad.

Finally found another angle of this challenge. When you compare this to what Alvarez and Szoboszlai got pens for 🤷‍♂️

Not saying every push and shove should be a penalty. I would rather that not be a penalty. But compare it to the shit we've seen so far given.

Finally found another angle of this challenge. When you compare this to what Alvarez and Szoboszlai got pens for 🤷‍♂️

Not saying every push and shove should be a penalty. I would rather that not be a penalty. But compare it to the shit we've seen so far given.

Didn't see that one, that AFC defender is extremely lucky his mate was there to take the ball.

I'm in your boat where I'd rather that not be a penalty too.

That was a penalty when Bruno did it against Barcelona last season. It was also a penalty when it happened to Bruno later on in the season.

Active Now

• Skyblues87
  • Dash
  • Foordy
  • Sproj
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • Tmac
  • Stix
  • Culhwch
  • Shane Tronc
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • mrtij
  • Xzei
  • phoenix
  • Aldo
  • Rambstien
  • BruiserMk1
  • Dexter
  • johnny plath
  • Lozza
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.