FOOTBALL English Premier League 23/24 Discussion

The True King

The True King

NRL Player
Apr 6, 2018
The Ait-Nouri exit rumours have occurred every window since he has arrived, where there is smoke there’s fire but I think that will be a summer move if/when it happens.

Dawson will be a summer issue. Killman, Dawson, Toti, and Bueno at the moment are holding up well has the 3, 4 and 5 at the back versatility as well. Maybe 1 short but still don’t see that being a priority till summer.

There was a few Carvalho rumours in the summer about a loan to Wolves (although unlikely at the time) haven’t really followed him since but it doesn’t seem the loan was all that successful was that a lack of play time issue or he just hasn’t kicked on or a bit of both? Would take him especially considering the Portuguese/Brazilian Premier League environment could make it very comfortable for him. But I just don’t see Liverpool taking that route.

Dia would be the dream signing if we had one. If not him I think we just need to keep funds for a big summer where Ait-Nouri, Podence, Sa, Guedes, Silva (possibly), Sasa (possibly) and Johnny could all move on plus Dawson replacement. Most are on loan or barely utilised now except RAN, Dawson and Sa.

The environment is playing awesome football and seems very happy under O’Neill so I’m very happy. Don’t fix what ain’t broke I say so praying for low risk, seamless business and save the funds for summer when we will need and want them.
He was recalled because he wasn't getting game time at Leipzig and we've obviously got a Salah gap to cover for the next month. Leipzig had a spot for him but shortly after we let him go they went and signed Xavi Simons who has taken that role so no point rotting on their bench.

There were rumours he had a falling out with Klopp so I think it's a near certainty that he gets loaned out again. It will just be to a side that offers him regular football, hopefully that's within the prem because we need to retain or improve his value.

If you guys are after a striker it obviously isn't Carvalho. Maybe you could get someone like Ings as a short-term depth option.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Considering how you guys looked in the first 2-3 games of the season I have been quietly impressed. Gary O'Neil is one of the more underrated managers in the league and seems the players have responded to him pretty well, it's certainly not the Wolves squad of a few seasons ago so he's made a decent fist of it and kept you guys out of trouble.

Hwang has been the obvious stand out, as was Neto before the injury. There's always been a player in Cunha so although the stats may not necessarily back it up, I think he's been a net positive for you guys, likewise for Sarabia. Gomes and Lemina have been great in filling the hole left by Neves, although seems Bellegarde hasn't quite kicked on yet - I thought he was brilliant against us and really liked him at Strasbourg.

From the outside looking in, seems as if your transfer strategy is to target fringe players at the bigger European clubs that you can get in for cheap who just need an opportunity to break out or resurrect their careers. Have to say it looks to be working too. Dia is quality and would be a starter, although I don't rate Che Adams in the slightest, don't know much about Gomes.

I would have thought upgrading Dawson would be a priority but you can wait until the summer to do that. There's alot of rumours around Ait-Nouri, so I'm interested to see if you guys hang on to him, he looks destined for bigger things.

We should give you Fabio Carvalho on loan, he's just been recalled from Leipzig and can play anywhere across the front three, just probably not at striker. Portuguese background aside, he fits the mould of the sort of player that would thrive in your system and just needs regular prem football to show his quality.

Big rumour around Molineux now is Neto to Citeh. Couple of sources have seen Hobbs, Begiristain, Mendes and Neto at the Mount Hotel ( frequently used by Wolves management ). Pedro wont act like the rat, he wont push the move, he's said so himself but if the money is right he's off.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
If i was to give a report card on our season its we are where i expected this squad to be, but the manager has exceeded my expectations, i didnt think he would get the best out of this squad but he's got us playing really well after a very shaky start.

Not sure people who think Hwang has been a standout watch us that much. Our standouts have clearly been Lemina and Neto, followed by Cunha, Ait Nouri and Joao Gomes. Cant fault Hwang for his goals, but ask any Wolves fan and his general play is very ordinary, but he's just got that knack of getting into the right positions. Be interesting to see how we get on when he isnt there with him off at the Asian cup.

Unsung players for me have probably been Semedo and Sarabia. Overall, we arent doing too badly and if it wasnt for VAR we could very easily have another 7 or 8 points, which would put us on 36 or so which would be incredible.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
If i was to give a report card on our season its we are where i expected this squad to be, but the manager has exceeded my expectations, i didnt think he would get the best out of this squad but he's got us playing really well after a very shaky start.

Not sure people who think Hwang has been a standout watch us that much. Our standouts have clearly been Lemina and Neto, followed by Cunha, Ait Nouri and Joao Gomes. Cant fault Hwang for his goals, but ask any Wolves fan and his general play is very ordinary, but he's just got that knack of getting into the right positions. Be interesting to see how we get on when he isnt there with him off at the Asian cup.

Unsung players for me have probably been Semedo and Sarabia. Overall, we arent doing too badly and if it wasnt for VAR we could very easily have another 7 or 8 points, which would put us on 36 or so which would be incredible.
Agreed in my opinion Lemina has been the best player by a mile. One of the best 9 million dollar signings anyone will ever make for a 29 yo.

The True King

The True King

NRL Player
Apr 6, 2018
Big rumour around Molineux now is Neto to Citeh. Couple of sources have seen Hobbs, Begiristain, Mendes and Neto at the Mount Hotel ( frequently used by Wolves management ). Pedro wont act like the rat, he wont push the move, he's said so himself but if the money is right he's off.
City are being linked to basically anyone who can play on the right though. There's obviously the cloud over Paqueta but I've seen reports they are monitoring Olise too. That's before considering Dani Olmo who has been a Pep target for a while, they'll no doubt have their eye on Florian Wirtz as do the rest of Europe.

Neto is fantastic and will get a big move but I don't think his body can be trusted. His name has come up a few times as a Salah replacement but I'd rather we went for someone else.

The True King

The True King

NRL Player
Apr 6, 2018

You can just say you don't think I watch you guys much. Admittedly I don't watch every game haha but I've seen enough that most of your sentiments echo my earlier post anyway.

But when a player has 10 goals and 3 assists for a team in the bottom half of the table it's fair to say they're a stand out player, at least statistically anyway.

That knack of being in the right place at the right time and finding the back of the net is hugely underrated. I'd argue Salah's performances largely haven't been great this season but despite that most would consider him as a stand out for us.

The True King

The True King

NRL Player
Apr 6, 2018
In terms of our report card, we're way ahead of where I expected us to be. What initially started as a transition season after a big midfield rebuild has turned itself into what could be a very deep charge in all competitions.

Curtis Jones might be in our 3 most important players, he's such a gun and central to every good performance we've had. Virgil has been mercurial, I'd say his form is a massive reason we're back at the top, captaincy has been great for him. Trent's been up and down, he's adapting to the inverted role and hugely influencing games, both good and bad. Salah up top is an output machine despite going missing for large parts of games, the numbers don't lie. Those 3 and Alisson are the key players to keeping us in the title race, but there is one other - Joe Gomez, what a player. He's been sensational beyond belief. Firstly at RB covering Trent and now as a LB, he's so versatile and reliable. This has been his most consistent period as an LFC player and he's finally getting his flowers from the fanbase. Keeping him fit for the next month is absolutely critical.

As far as the rest go, the signings have embedded nicely. Endo, Macca and Dom have all had their moments integrating into the system, good and bad. Gravenberch the quietest of the lot but it's clear to see his talent. Diaz, Gakpo, Harvey, Konate, Tsimikas and Jota have all contributed to various degrees, as has the enigma that is Darwin. I'd say he's still the player with the most question marks, his wastefulness has cost us points against both Luton and United, patience is running thin.

Klopp gets a massive pass mark, most impressive has been his use of substitutions to change games. Having quality players fit at his disposal has helped but aside from the Arsenal game I think tactically he's been impeccable with his use of the bench.

Remains to be seen if we can match City in the home stretch but considering most LFC fans expectations were for top 4 and perhaps a cup win, it's been a phenomenal start to 2024. I'm optimistic that we can only get better as the new signings figure out the system and we get Robertson back.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
You can just say you don't think I watch you guys much. Admittedly I don't watch every game haha but I've seen enough that most of your sentiments echo my earlier post anyway.

But when a player has 10 goals and 3 assists for a team in the bottom half of the table it's fair to say they're a stand out player, at least statistically anyway.

That knack of being in the right place at the right time and finding the back of the net is hugely underrated. I'd argue Salah's performances largely haven't been great this season but despite that most would consider him as a stand out for us.

Hwang really isnt doing a lot different from all his time at Wolves really, the ball is just going in the net for him now. I doubt you would find a single Wolves fan who would say he has been anywhere near a standout performer for us. He's been a bit of an anomaly this season where he's been very wasteful, poor in possession but still seems to have that knack of being in the right place at the right time ( which he has always done at Wolves tbf ). As usual, statistics simply dont tell the whole story. He hasnt been poor, though tbf but i couldnt call him a standout. No question though his goals have been crucial.

Talking about Neto, i'm not sure his body is an issue. If you look at his injury issues at Wolves, he got a freak injury to his kneecap, then that injury was terribly mismanaged by Bruno Lage and the Wolves then club Doctor Rob Chakraverty ( known to Wolves fans as Dr Death for his string of questionable decisions, Kalajdzic another one they got wrong ), who also has a very dodgy history anyway with the British Olympic team amongst others. He then got taken out with a bad tackle which saw him injure his ankle. I dont think any of his serious injuries at Wolves have ever been due to concerns about his body not being trusted. Its not like his body is just breaking down for no reason on a regular basis. If he was struggling physically, i think he would have lost some of his pace and he just hasnt. After having so much time out though, clubs are going to be wary.

No doubt something is brewing with him and Citeh. Jorge Mendes and Begiristain arent going to be meeting up with Matt Hobbs and Neto just for a catch up.

The True King

The True King

NRL Player
Apr 6, 2018
Poor Arsenal.. what has happened to their season?

To go out in the FA Cup like that against a heavily rotated LFC side is embarrassing and must be humbling.

As far as LFC goes, some sensational performances:
- Konate MoTM. Huge game and best player on the pitch in a game against Arsenal, again. Opposition fans finally taking note of his quality and why he starts for France ahead of Saliba.
- Quansah, the kid has an enormous future, didn't look out of place in such a big tie after getting a last minute call up with VVD sick.
- Gomez was great, Saka had moments but Gomez had him pocketed most the game
- Macca another solid showing in the 6, needed minutes in his legs and put in some big tackles
- Jones sensational, best midfielder on the park from either side. Might be the form midfielder in the prem right now.
- Jota was the difference, he turned the game himself and oozes quality off the bench
- Diaz came to life in the second half on the right, hugely influential.
- Rolled out a couple of academy kids too who played out of their skins and got us over the line while we rested big names for cup semi-final.

First half was all Arsenal but the tactical switch in the second half by Klopp seemed to catch them off guard. Getting Gakpo out of midfield and Elliott in there was a huge moment. The game changed once Diaz switched to the right and Darwin went to the left with Jota coming on.

Kiwior got put on toast and unfortunately isn't at the level just yet. Arsenal are in big trouble.

Santa

Santa

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jun 30, 2020
Poor Arsenal.. what has happened to their season?

To go out in the FA Cup like that against a heavily rotated LFC side is embarrassing and must be humbling.

As far as LFC goes, some sensational performances:
- Konate MoTM. Huge game and best player on the pitch in a game against Arsenal, again. Opposition fans finally taking note of his quality and why he starts for France ahead of Saliba.
- Quansah, the kid has an enormous future, didn't look out of place in such a big tie after getting a last minute call up with VVD sick.
- Gomez was great, Saka had moments but Gomez had him pocketed most the game
- Macca another solid showing in the 6, needed minutes in his legs and put in some big tackles
- Jones sensational, best midfielder on the park from either side. Might be the form midfielder in the prem right now.
- Jota was the difference, he turned the game himself and oozes quality off the bench
- Diaz came to life in the second half on the right, hugely influential.
- Rolled out a couple of academy kids too who played out of their skins and got us over the line while we rested big names for cup semi-final.

First half was all Arsenal but the tactical switch in the second half by Klopp seemed to catch them off guard. Getting Gakpo out of midfield and Elliott in there was a huge moment. The game changed once Diaz switched to the right and Darwin went to the left with Jota coming on.

Kiwior got put on toast and unfortunately isn't at the level just yet. Arsenal are in big trouble.
No one cares abut the stupid FA cup.

I've decided I no longer like "soccer"...

Brocko

Brocko

NRL Captain
Contributor
Feb 23, 2014
Huge news. Alonso's surely the replacement.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
That was always on the cards. He's been hinting at it for a while. From his interview, it would have been the end of last season if the side was in better shape.

Brocko

Brocko

NRL Captain
Contributor
Feb 23, 2014
Yeah does seem like it has been on the cards a while. Apparently told the club this was his last season for sure in November.

Still big news to see it actually happen and without much coming out in the days prior.

Could impact the likes of Salah also you would think.

The True King

The True King

NRL Player
Apr 6, 2018
Ugh, no words... just gutted.

Can't find a single angle where this works out beneficial for the club.

Weekend ruined.

The True King

The True King

NRL Player
Apr 6, 2018
Reds put a smile back on my face. What a performance and that kid Bradley sure is something special.

Nice 3pts and we move on. Arsenal, you're next!

Santa

Santa

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jun 30, 2020
Reds put a smile back on my face. What a performance and that kid Bradley sure is something special.

Nice 3pts and we move on. Arsenal, you're next!
The downfall of Liverpool's season is about to start! Let's go Arsenal!!!

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.