Ex-Players That Improved After Leaving

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I predict that Hunt is going to reach that next level when he is at the Dragons.

That tends to happen.

A player leaves a club, becomes an even better player at their next club.

I predict that Hunt is going to reach that next level when he is at the Dragons.

That tends to happen.

Hopefully this applies to benji Marshall too?

That tends to happen.

Yep like Wallace and Granville.

Who else has actually gotten better after leaving? Norman arguably, Granville just needed the minutes on the field and Wallace is yet to be proven.

(I'm only counting 'our' players, so PWal and Ennis for example don't count)

Ennis, Norman, Wallace, Granville, Gagai, Barba, Winterstein arguably, Hannant, Eastwood arguably, Hodges.

That's just to name a few.

That tends to happen.

Not when you go to NZ.

Ennis, Norman, Wallace, Granville, Gagai, Barba, Winterstein arguably, Hannant, Eastwood arguably, Hodges.

What about the players who got worse? Berrigan, Kemp, Beale, Dave Taylor, Copley, Hoffman, Hala, Tate (when he went to warriors)

I said Ennis + Wallace don't count, mainly because we never developed them from within. Barba too.

Norman, while he had his faults, was still a good player and just got shafted. Gagai + Granville just needed to get on the field. Hannant was on that one plateau for his whole career. Eastwood never got worse at least, hard to say if he got better as we lost him quite early. Same with Winterstein + Hodges.

I was thinking more along the lines of your Beales, Hoffmans, Kemps etc. those three especially stick out to me.

I said Ennis + Wallace don't count, mainly because we never developed them from within. Barba too.

Norman, while he had his faults, was still a good player and just got shafted. Gagai + Granville just needed to get on the field. Hannant was on that one plateau for his whole career. Eastwood never got worse at least, hard to say if he got better as we lost him quite early. Same with Winterstein + Hodges.

I was thinking more along the lines of your Beales, Hoffmans, Kemps etc. those three especially stick out to me.

They were still Broncos players that left and got better.

They count.

Norman was nearly as bad as Hoffman when we had him in the halves.

Didn't Alfie langer leave to super league and became pretty ordinary only to then come back and become amazing again? The theory has merit.

Let's see...

Michael Ennis - I wouldn't say he improved. He was one of the form players in the competition in 2008 and did a good job of maintaining but never breaking past that point.

Corey Norman - When it's all said and done, he's yet to produce a better season than 2012. He appeared on track in '16 but he only played 2/3s of the season and the Eels were a basket case.

Peter Wallace - Peaked in 2008-09 and outside of last season had been a total bust for Penrith.

Jake Granville - I'll concede that although everybody knew what he was capable of.

Dane Gagai - I mean he played all of 7 games for the Broncos, all in his rookie season. Technically sure, but I don't think it's relevant to Hunt's example.

Ben Barba - Yes, but it's complicated.

Antonio Winterstein - He's still the same reliable finisher from 2009.

Ben Hannant - Yes, and I'd say he came back to haunt the Broncos twice. Had his best season with the Bulldogs in 09 and was very valuable for the Cows in 15-16. In retrospect, the only season we got out money's worth was 2012.

Greg Eastwood - Is still the exact same enigma he was at Brisbane.

Justin Hodges - Yes, but it's complicated. Had a strong finish in 2002, started 03 like a house on fire and then became a whipping boy in 2004.

So basically...

Ben Hannant
Jake Granville
Dane Gagai*
Ben Barba*
Justin Hodges*

I'd throw in Darius Boyd, Scott Prince, Ash Harrison and Luke Priddis.

I'd suggest David Stagg too.

Scott Minto was already awesone when he left, hard to become better than that.

Stagg may have won the Dally M Lock of the Year while at Canterbury, but he wasn't a better player. The move down to Sydney finally opened the journalists eyes to him and being able to commit to one position would have helped as well.

From 2005-08 he was every bit as good for the Broncos.

I think the 4 you named Pete are the best examples in Darius, Prince, Harrison and priddis...

Darius especially who turned into an exceptional fullback at saints

Ash Taylor?

Technically counts, Dally M rookie.

Taylor can't count. Surely that's a gee up. He had one appearance.

The Jake Granville one hurts the most. I believe he is better player than Andrew McCullough and I believe it was obvious from very early in his career that that was going to be the case.

If Bennett had returned a year earlier I doubt he would've been let go.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Allo
  • Astro
  • scobie
  • Organix
  • Stix
  • lynx000
  • MTF75
  • Jazza
  • Manofoneway
  • cento
  • Xzei
  • YeahNahMate
  • barker
  • Sproj
  • Behind enemy lines
  • jd87
  • pennywisealfie
  • Johnny92
  • ChewThePhatt
  • TimWhatley
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.