Ex-Players That Improved After Leaving

I would definitely have Ennis and Wallace as improved just based on 2016. Both were brilliant for their clubs. I was a huge fan of Ennis in 2008, but he was arguably Sharks' MVP in 2016.

Taylor can't count. Surely that's a gee up. He had one appearance.

The Jake Granville one hurts the most. I believe he is better player than Andrew McCullough and I believe it was obvious from very early in his career that that was going to be the case.

If Bennett had returned a year earlier I doubt he would've been let go.

Agreed.

Macca was one of the 'Griffin' boys who was never going to be dropped whilst Griffin was there.

I remember Bennett saying he really regretted losing Luke Priddis.

I remember Bennett saying he really regretted losing Luke Priddis.

I wish we lost him earlier.

We lost Cameron Smith because of Luke Priddis.

thats not even close to being true

That came from Cameron Smith himself.

He didn't see an opportunity to play first grade here because of who we had. He saw an opportunity to play first grade a lot sooner at Melbourne.

That came from Cameron Smith himself.

He didn't see an opportunity to play first grade here because of who we had. He saw an opportunity to play first grade a lot sooner at Melbourne.

Once again, not true.

We had the opportunity to sign him and our scouts overlooked him.

Once again, not true.

We had the opportunity to sign him and our scouts overlooked him.

This ...

The reports were that we overlooked Smith until he was 17, then we offered him a scholarship deal. but at his age he wasn't interested in a scholarship and went to Melbourne who offered him a proper contract

100% correct!!

“Cameron was 16 and I went with him to see Wayne at the Broncos for an interview,” Smith’s mother Sonia said.

“Cameron was spotted playing in Logan and the Broncos rang us saying Wayne was interested in signing him.

“Cammy was really nervous meeting Wayne. He loved the Broncos as a kid and he was still so young.

“Wayne had a talk to us and then we had a meeting with Melbourne.

“I said, ‘Son, it’s your choice’ and it surprised me, but he made the decision to go with Melbourne.’’

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/4463358b3df13702f939160700d7a425

That's one article where it's confirmed Bennett tried signing him.

There are also others where they go into more detail on why Smith turned down the Broncos.

Probably best to break this down into two catafories to Get a more reasonable discussion. Firstly players who played for Brisbane who were mature or considered "regular first graders" (Ennis, peter Wallace, Baraba ect) and then younger players or players who never really had a shot to impress such as ash Taylor., gaigai and Granville.

Ben Barba is one guy who interests me and had me really excited when he came to the club. I don't know if he just didn't fit in with our boys or was still facing some mental demons or simply wasn't happy here but he never really impressed or looked comfortable. Last year however for the sharks it was like something clicked for him and I believe he was a massive factor in them going all the way. Sometime players just need a change or maybe even to be taken out of there comofrot zone to really go to the next level.

Probably best to break this down into two catafories to Get a more reasonable discussion. Firstly players who played for Brisbane who were mature or considered "regular first graders" (Ennis, peter Wallace, Baraba ect) and then younger players or players who never really had a shot to impress such as ash Taylor., gaigai and Granville.

Ben Barba is one guy who interests me and had me really excited when he came to the club. I don't know if he just didn't fit in with our boys or was still facing some mental demons or simply wasn't happy here but he never really impressed or looked comfortable. Last year however for the sharks it was like something clicked for him and I believe he was a massive factor in them going all the way. Sometime players just need a change or maybe even to be taken out of there comofrot zone to really go to the next level.

Barba is a wanker, but I put his form at the Broncos down to the Griffin diet and his ankle injury. That sort of injury takes a while to come right. By the time he went to the sharks his ankle would have been sweet and he wasn't carrying as much weight. Plus the style of footy the Sharkies were playing suited him. Griffin tried to structure him and fed too much.[/QUOTE]

I said Ennis + Wallace don't count, mainly because we never developed them from within. Barba too.

Norman, while he had his faults, was still a good player and just got shafted. Gagai + Granville just needed to get on the field. Hannant was on that one plateau for his whole career. Eastwood never got worse at least, hard to say if he got better as we lost him quite early. Same with Winterstein + Hodges.

I was thinking more along the lines of your Beales, Hoffmans, Kemps etc. those three especially stick out to me.

I wouldn't call Norman shafted. The guy got 63 appearances up and had a decent shot at it. He had a decent run at 5/8 too but sighted a lack of opportunity there as the reason he moved on which in my view was crap. Yep prince came in the final year but Norman didn't exactly shoot the lights out the season prior at 5/8. Some days he just didn't look interested IMO.

Like many others he moved for money but blamed others which I though was poor form. He wasn't up to long term broncos 5/8 status for mine

Active Now

• barker
  • Sproj
  • Behind enemy lines
  • jd87
  • pennywisealfie
  • Johnny92
  • ChewThePhatt
  • lynx000
  • TimWhatley
  • NSW stables
  • broncos4life
  • Redfern_1980
  • Aldo
  • davidp
  • johnny plath
  • mrslong
  • BroncosAlways
  • broncsgoat
  • Bucking Beads
  • Dexter
... and 19 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.