Ex-Players That Improved After Leaving

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/4463358b3df13702f939160700d7a425

That's one article where it's confirmed Bennett tried signing him.

There are also others where they go into more detail on why Smith turned down the Broncos.

His mother is lying, I also highly doubt you can find any articles where Smith says he turned down the Broncos as a teenager.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...ver-broncos-snub/story-e6frf3pc-1111113084245

MELBOURNE Storm hooker Cameron Smith says his anger at being rejected by Brisbane as a teenager has been forgotten.
Now 23, Smith said last night he no longer harboured any ill-feeling towards the Broncos, as last year's grand finalists complete preparations for tomorrow's final pre-season trial.
The Brisbane local was overlooked by Broncos scouts during his schoolboy days despite forging an impressive junior representative record.
"It's something that stuck with me early in my career," Smith said.
"I was disappointed I didn't get to play there but I'm not angry about it any more. I always try my best not to get beaten by them."
Since making his debut with Melbourne in 2002, Smith, last season's Dally M Medal winner, has gone on to star for Queensland and Australia.
Barring injury, he will play his 100th first-grade game in Storm's round three clash with New Zealand Warriors at Olympic Park.
Smith is one of a host of Queensland juniors at Melbourne to have been passed over by Brisbane.
Halfback Cooper Cronk, an Australian schoolboys rugby stand-out, Billy Slater and Dallas Johnson also rose through the junior ranks north of the Tweed River.
Asked about the Broncos ignoring their claims, Smith, prior to last year's finals series, said: "It's come to bite them on the backside a bit, hasn't it?"

@pennywisealfie thank you for your suggestion. Tom was on the tip of my tongue but for whatever reason I couldn't think of the name and kept getting Darren Mapp and Dave Taylor.

Good prospect Tom, never quite fulfilled his potential but still had his moments. It kind of bugs me that whenever the Raiders 2010 is discussed, fans usually focus on Campese's form when Learoyd-Lahrs and Shillington were among the best forwards in the game.

Speaking of ex-Broncos turned Raiders, Costigan would be another candidate. Another player who never quite lived up to his early potential (he was immense in 2004), he was able to become a handy Origin reserve and played an important role in the Dragons run towards the title.

Speaking of titles, would Ben Teo count? He was good for us but took it to another level at Souths.

His mother is lying, I also highly doubt you can find any articles where Smith says he turned down the Broncos as a teenager.

In the same article I posted.

“The Broncos didn’t see a lot in me until the Storm came along, then they made an offer for me to go to the Broncos,” Smith said.

There are more out there.

In the same article I posted.

“The Broncos didn’t see a lot in me until the Storm came along, then they made an offer for me to go to the Broncos,” Smith said.

There are more out there.

So in 2007 he was claiming that he was angry at the Broncos for not offering him a deal, but in 2015 his tone has changed and he actually rejected our offer to go and build something special in Melbourne?

Funny how stories change over time.. I suppose he lied in 2015 to make himself look better, nobody wants to look like they were rejected, can't blame him. He probably didn't realise the 2007 article was still around, it's pretty old.

So in 2007 he was claiming that he was angry at the Broncos for not offering him a deal, but in 2015 his tone has changed and he actually rejected our offer to go and build something special in Melbourne?

Funny how stories change over time.. I suppose he lied in 2015 to make himself look better, nobody wants to look like they were rejected, can't blame him. He probably didn't realise the 2007 article was still around, it's pretty old.

IMO, it really is a moot point ... as no club will ever release a player of Priddas level for a 17 year old prospect

I wouldn't say Te'o improved at Souths, he just continued to be really good and was an improvement over what Souths had (Taylor).

He wasn't as potent over there either, only scoring 5 tries total. He scored more than double that in 2010 alone, highlighting how good he was during such a bleak time for the club.

You’re talking about two different periods in Smith’s career.

Smith missed the Queensland Under 17’s team and was noticed by Griffin. He signed with the Storm to play Colts for Norths on $5000. He played in the Colts Grand Final in 2001 against Redcliffe. The rejection Smith talks about was previous to that he was un-noticed from all his time at Brothers.

When Smith was about to start playing Colts at Norths his parents met with the Broncos and Bennett. Wayne Smith tells the story of Bennett trying his hardest to influence Cam by asking who he had always supported and who he always wanted to play for.

His parents liked the idea of him staying in Brisbane and not moving away- He could play for Norths. Storm were about to punt Swain and Broncos had Priddis which is what Wayne Smith has always said he pointed out to Cam- Wayne is a pretty shrewd operator he played at Easts behind Lang for a lot of years.

It’s not dissimilar to Munster; Broncos didn’t offer him anything until the Storm did and then it was too late.

Smith was rejected up till 17, so he's right. He was made an offer and rejected it to go to Melbourne so he's right there too.

Smith missed the under-17s Qld team? Who were the selectors (or was he injured)? Because how can a guy who is ready for actual origin just two years later be overlooked?

Smith missed the under-17s Qld team? Who were the selectors (or was he injured)? Because how can a guy who is ready for actual origin just two years later be overlooked?

No he wasn't injured. He made the Under 18/19's in 2001 Academy of Sport team.

Good team. Thurston, Smith, Shillington, Hannant, Seymour- with ridiculous blonde hair which he was told to fix very quickly by Bennett in camp. Parfitt, Czislowski and Irwin.

Joel Moon is doing alright for himself in the Super League. But it's possible he got worse and it's hard to notice.

My god, every time I post on my iPad it triple posts. Can someone delete the extras please?

Joel Moon is doing alright for himself in the Super League. But it's possible he got worse and it's hard to notice.
I met Moon when I was over in England - I was insanely lucky. I know one of the Rhino's cheerleaders and her brother was playing reserves for them at the time and her dad got me a tour of their facilities/training grounds, gyms, media rooms and offices. I got to meet Danny McGuire, Watkins, Sinfield, Burrow and a few others but Burrow and Moon hung around during a training break and I got to have a good chat with them. Moon seemed to love it over there and was a really cool dude too.

They've stuck with him for years, like they love to do with most of their players...it is hard to tell though!

Nathan Friend played the baby broncos game in 2002 (his only game for us) and went on to become a very good player.

Reece Robinson.

I think an arugment could be made that be became a better player than what he was at the Broncos.

worst decision i seen at schoolboy footy level. he was the player of the carnival by a 100 yards that year at the schoolboys but the so called selectors chose someone ahead of him. very political!!!!

Active Now

• Astro
  • Galah
  • Sproj
  • Bucking Beads
  • Manofoneway
  • Organix
  • lynx000
  • Jazza
  • Allo
  • scobie
  • Stix
  • MTF75
  • cento
  • Xzei
  • YeahNahMate
  • barker
  • Behind enemy lines
  • jd87
  • pennywisealfie
  • Johnny92
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.