OFFICIAL Exciting Half Ezra Mam Extends With Broncos

L

lachyy

NYC Player
Oct 18, 2021
I don’t think anyone who has watched him play would say he’s the next big thing. Definitely not as hyped as Dearden, and has nothing on Mozer or even Cobbo as far as exciting prospects go but he’s a talented X factor player who would do a great job slotting in at 5/8 next to a strong organising half if he builds on his short comings. I also think your selling his achievements short if you take into account how little footy was available for him to play over the last few seasons.

I definitely don’t see him as “THE future of the broncos” same as Piakura isn’t THE future but they are exciting talents that hopefully reach there potential and become easy selections to put around a guy like Mozer - who at this stage seems like an out and out marque player if all goes well.
yeah youre spot on, you need guys like mam and piakura to compliment the real pillars of your club, thinking haas, mozer and cobbo. Theyve got potential to be fringe rep players and provide vital outlets for your main playmakers

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I don’t think anyone who has watched him play would say he’s the next big thing. Definitely not as hyped as Dearden, and has nothing on Mozer or even Cobbo as far as exciting prospects go but he’s a talented X factor player who would do a great job slotting in at 5/8 next to a strong organising half if he builds on his short comings. I also think your selling his achievements short if you take into account how little footy was available for him to play over the last few seasons.

I definitely don’t see him as “THE future of the broncos” same as Piakura isn’t THE future but they are exciting talents that hopefully reach there potential and become easy selections to put around a guy like Mozer - who at this stage seems like an out and out marque player if all goes well.
yeah youre spot on, you need guys like mam and piakura to compliment the real pillars of your club, thinking haas, mozer and cobbo. Theyve got potential to be fringe rep players and provide vital outlets for your main playmakers
We're definitely going to need someone who's future of the Broncos to slot into our halves because the cupboard's looking otherwise bare. Premierships are fought right across the field, but they're won in the halves.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
We're definitely going to need someone who's future of the Broncos to slot into our halves because the cupboard's looking otherwise bare. Premierships are fought right across the field, but they're won in the halves.
It’s a shame Mam isn’t a year or so further into his development because I think his style would perfectly compliment Reynolds - especially with the space Reynolds creates for his halves partners. Unless Reynolds kicks on at a high level until 35 there may be pretty limited overlap between them.

Mozer will be in the picture by the time Reynolds retires but I’m concerned for what the plan is after that. Even if a promising organising 7 emerges, it would be a risk to have Mozer, Mam, Cobbo, and a rookie making up our spine. Maybe we’ll go to market for an established 7 to replace Adam.

NSW stables

NSW stables

NRL Player
May 3, 2019
It’s a shame Mam isn’t a year or so further into his development because I think his style would perfectly compliment Reynolds - especially with the space Reynolds creates for his halves partners. Unless Reynolds kicks on at a high level until 35 there may be pretty limited overlap between them.

Mozer will be in the picture by the time Reynolds retires but I’m concerned for what the plan is after that. Even if a promising organising 7 emerges, it would be a risk to have Mozer, Mam, Cobbo, and a rookie making up our spine. Maybe we’ll go to market for an established 7 to replace Adam.
I've thought about our 7 options/game managers after Reynolds retires. I think gamble will be 28-29 so will still be an option. I was impressed with gamble's organisation and kicking game this year. He was the game managing half each game he played and I think his organisation skills were often overlooked/overshadowed by the intensity he also brought.

If we are running a spine of a cobbo, mam and mozer/paix (with a couple of years of first grade under their belt) when reynolds retires, i think we could get by with a mature game manager like gamble (or an experienced mid-level half) to just operate the team, kick for field position and initiate the attacking plays.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I've thought about our 7 options/game managers after Reynolds retires. I think gamble will be 28-29 so will still be an option. I was impressed with gamble's organisation and kicking game this year. He was the game managing half each game he played and I think his organisation skills were often overlooked/overshadowed by the intensity he also brought.

If we are running a spine of a cobbo, mam and mozer/paix (with a couple of years of first grade under their belt) when reynolds retires, i think we could get by with a mature game manager like gamble (or an experienced mid-level half) to just operate the team, kick for field position and initiate the attacking plays.

Mozer is 18 in May, so he's going to play MM.

MM final is normally about then. At 18 in May he can play ISC, like Mam did this year- he may play ISC, massive ask in the ruck at 18 and not too many have done it if any.

C. Smith was 18 and played 28 ISC games, he played two NRL games at 18 and then 2003 was his first full year at 19.

19 for Mozer would be May 2023, replicating Smith seems a long long shot.

As a marker Paix is still learning hooker and improving in 2021, Paix played his MM final in 2018 and has now played 28 ISC games over three years and is still on a learning curve.

I understand Paix was a half in MM and had to learn hooker which would have stunted his growth since 2018.

I am not being negative, just pointing out really the chances of seeing Mozer in a Broncos jumper before 2024 are slim- that would make him 20/21 and around that 30 ISC game mark.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Mozer is 18 in May, so he's going to play MM.

MM final is normally about then. At 18 in May he can play ISC, like Mam did this year- he may play ISC, massive ask in the ruck at 18 and not too many have done it if any.

C. Smith was 18 and played 28 ISC games, he played two NRL games at 18 and then 2003 was his first full year at 19.

19 for Mozer would be May 2023, replicating Smith seems a long long shot.

As a marker Paix is still learning hooker and improving in 2021, Paix played his MM final in 2018 and has now played 28 ISC games over three years and is still on a learning curve.

I understand Paix was a half in MM and had to learn hooker which would have stunted his growth since 2018.

I am not being negative, just pointing out really the chances of seeing Mozer in a Broncos jumper before 2024 are slim- that would make him 20/21 and around that 30 ISC game mark.
I hope that’s how it unfolds. Too many players in our squad didn’t hit that 20-30 ISC game mark that seems to really benefit players. Just hope we can hold onto him through the contract extensions.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

James look a good prospect, has a good kicking game, just also needs to work on not using his head to tackle guys' hips. He's very much in the Reynolds' mould, so I'd see he is the succession plan. He has already shown he combines well with Mam in the limited opportunities I've seen them play together.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Not sure if this has been put up but I feel it showcases his skillset well:

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
Definitely. Milford was the finished package before he entered our radar.

With Dearden, I more meant Dearden was earmarked early on as the future of the Broncos. He was a standout all through schoolboy level, captaining and like Ben Te'o, Adam Reynolds, Ryan James, Jordan Kahu, Payne Haas and David Fifita winning the Peter Sterling Medal. He wasn't a flashy player, but looked like someone who would lead the team around the park and not crack under pressure.

I haven't seen much of Mam, but I haven't seen that. Only that he, too, has been earmarked as the future of the Broncos attack, albeit only for the last 6 months or so. You'd have to be living under a rock as a Broncos fan not to have been aware of him, mostly due to his hat trick against Tweed. But very few have seen him play.

Mam's relative achievements, at this point, lag his hype. He has much to prove yet.

Now we can dissect Blake Mozer. He's the next queued up on the "future of the Broncos" escalator. If the Dolphins or Titans don't nab him.
I’d like to hope Mam is nothing like Dearden cause quite frankly he isn’t anywhere near as good as he was rated back then and he still isn’t that good now. The bloke has only won a handful of games in the nrl over about 3 seasons. Can’t handle pressure if you ask me, bloke had to run out of Brisbane like going to the cowboys was going to turn his career around. Pfft he’s fucken kidding himself if he thought that. He was running from the scrutiny and the fact that he needed to be playing Intrust super cup level. Dearden was rated significantly higher than Cleary and by now Cleary had already played for NSW, Whereas Corey Norman has better chances of playing for Qld than Dearden. I think it’s time we stop pretending like dearden was ever amazing after high school and realise that he still plays like a schoolboy. As a matter of a fact from footage and performances at least Ezra Mam has success against grown men. Something Dearden can’t say.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
I think Dearden will be a good game organiser, where as players like Milford (and by the sounds of it Mam right now) have to work really hard to develop that because it's not necessarily the strongest part of their game but it's what every footy team will need.

It's all good to load up the highlight reel where he steps away from blokes like they're not even there but he won't be able to do that forever. He's going to need to develop a kicking game if he wants to have a future in the halves as an NRL player. Hopefully he can get that going in ISC.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I’d like to hope Mam is nothing like Dearden cause quite frankly he isn’t anywhere near as good as he was rated back then and he still isn’t that good now. The bloke has only won a handful of games in the nrl over about 3 seasons. Can’t handle pressure if you ask me, bloke had to run out of Brisbane like going to the cowboys was going to turn his career around. Pfft he’s fucken kidding himself if he thought that. He was running from the scrutiny and the fact that he needed to be playing Intrust super cup level. Dearden was rated significantly higher than Cleary and by now Cleary had already played for NSW, Whereas Corey Norman has better chances of playing for Qld than Dearden. I think it’s time we stop pretending like dearden was ever amazing after high school and realise that he still plays like a schoolboy. As a matter of a fact from footage and performances at least Ezra Mam has success against grown men. Something Dearden can’t say.
I think Dearden will be a good game organiser, where as players like Milford (and by the sounds of it Mam right now) have to work really hard to develop that because it's not necessarily the strongest part of their game but it's what every footy team will need.

It's all good to load up the highlight reel where he steps away from blokes like they're not even there but he won't be able to do that forever. He's going to need to develop a kicking game if he wants to have a future in the halves as an NRL player. Hopefully he can get that going in ISC.
I guess Dearden's in the funny position of being underrated now because no Broncos fan rates him and he's probably a little bit better than we credit.

I remember saying a couple of years ago he was our best player in a couple of games - yet still the bottom halfback in the competition. That's how bad we were. I don't think he got any worse, but the rest of the team got better. I think he'll do okay at the Cowboys, but it'll take a lot of injuries for him to make the Origin squad. He's still young. I don't think his career is over yet.

ZTop

ZTop

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Feb 28, 2016
Looking in those highlights of mam there are a few nice plays from Dearden. Id say give him sometime he'll be great

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
He looks like a decent super sub. That's about all I can gather from those highlights

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
There's a few games on Kayo freebies where you can see him play, he's more than his highlights, same with Cobbo.
I am starting to think Cobbo is to me what Carrigan is to @Wolfie.

TBH, I am starting to get a little concerned.

Active Now

• jarro65
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Shane Tronc
  • Mr Fourex
  • Foordy
  • Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • eazy-duzzit
  • Skyblues87
  • Brocko
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Allo
  • Financeguy
  • Harry Sack
  • Totally Unr3al
  • rj9
  • sooticus
  • LittleDavey
  • Rambstien
  • Seibs
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.