Excuses

so who do we realistically see/want gone from the club nexts season..?

Boyd - yeh/nah
Gillett - yeh/nah
Macca - yeh/nah
Glenn -yeh/nah

Cause I guarantee some of those guys would get tepid interest from other clubs and some would get exactly zero...

Plus we'd probably have to subsidise their contracts to get them off the books. 50% or something like that which stays with us. This realistically is what it "costs" the club to get them out..can anyone else simply see nay of these guys leaving money on the table cause its good for the team?

I dont, and I wouldn't expect them too....

Thats why i said i wasnt comparing them, just making the point sometimes a steady player can be very effective.
Yeah, I probably should have absorbed the first part of your post better. Macca at 7 is a big NO from me.

Bird could quite easily play 5/8 as well
I think if milf is 1, bird should be 6 or if milf is 6, bird to 1. This means we can move boyd to centre or wing (because lets face it, he will be in the team). Bird is also a right side player which could sure up our right side defence more. SOS also looked more dangerous on the left against the sharks and i think following deardens newest injury, sos has the inside lane for the 7 position next year.

I think bird needs to be closer to the ball. Bird has a bigger frame so could play a 6 role like munster. However is also awkward to tackle at times like tedesco.

Anyone other than a genuine halfback, steady or brilliant, is insufficient, a recipe for disaster, as we are finding out against quality opposition, when structure, organisation, defensive nous and intelligent kicking is required, of which we have absolute ZERO.

It's all about instinct apart from experience and basic football skills. Turpin has none, Boyd has none. Turpin is and plays like, a hooker wearing the number 7, and Boyd just hasn't got any idea how to organise an attack. We don't have a half and hooker. We have 2 hookers. Yawn. And again, as a half, Boyd is utterly clueless

Without a genuine half, 7 and 6, we are also ran against the top sides. Our recruitment and retention failures are biting us on the bum big time

Last edited:

Boyd - yeh/nah
Gillett - yeh/nah
Macca - yeh/nah
Glenn -yeh/nah

Cause I guarantee some of those guys would get tepid interest from other clubs and some would get exactly zero...

Plus we'd probably have to subsidise their contracts to get them off the books. 50% or something like that which stays with us. This realistically is what it "costs" the club to get them out..can anyone else simply see nay of these guys leaving money on the table cause its good for the team?

Yeah, good idea . Get rid of all our experience.

He's no good defending there, that's for sure. In the middle he was snapping props in half 1v1, plus our attack looked 3x as good.
Agree he is much better at 9 , I'm still not convinced he is our savior at 9 but.

Bird could quite easily play 5/8 as well
He'd (probably) be better than Boyd but he's not the ideal long term option IMO. He has never really shown many half qualities. He'd just be there to run the ball strongly and pass it onto Milford.

He'd (probably) be better than Boyd but he's not the ideal long term option IMO. He has never really shown many half qualities. He'd just be there to run the ball strongly and pass it onto Milford.
Yeah exactly, we need 2 halves.

He's no good defending there, that's for sure. In the middle he was snapping props in half 1v1, plus our attack looked 3x as good.
I was thinking about this and I think Turps likes to have momentum into the tackle... so when he's out on the edges he comes rushing in looking for momentum through the tackle, but that's not what you want on the edge.

They need to be able to defend whilst sliding and be strong enough to go up top and hang on for support like Bhunt used to do... if Turps isn't used to that it can be difficult to change things

Last edited:

Boyd - yeh/nah
Gillett - yeh/nah
Macca - yeh/nah
Glenn -yeh/nah

If you think Glenn should go then your on drugs, if anything he deserves to be captain.

If you think Glenn should go then your on drugs, if anything he deserves to be captain.

tis why im asking......who would you keep and who would you let go..??

Im feeling its Boyd and Macca maybe given the responses so far....and if that holds then....how..?

Hence why we would have to subsidise their contracts cause they will not simply leave money on the table if they are under contract...

Imagine if we kept Kodi. He would have been ideal at 6

Would he have been? He's playing 6 at the Warriors and isn't exactly setting the world on fire despite the Warriors having a gameplan that actually suits his style of play. And it's not like the Warriors have a shit roster, it's actually quite good.

Would he have been? He's playing 6 at the Warriors and isn't exactly setting the world on fire despite the Warriors having a gameplan that actually suits his style of play. And it's not like the Warriors have a shit roster, it's actually quite good.

Well, he would have had an opportunity to show what he can do as a six rather than a halfback here. I see what you are saying about the warriors, but they arent exactly playing to their ability either. I just think we might have got the best out of him not playing next to Milf in the halves.

Boyd - yeh/nah
Gillett - yeh/nah
Macca - yeh/nah
Glenn -yeh/nah

Boyd still offers us something IMO, mainly teaching our kids how to be professionals ... but he needs to be out spine, he is a major liability there now as his body can't handle it anymore ... so, for next year, he should be in the centers ... unless we can transition him into a coaching/mentor role without being penalized on the salary cap.

Gillett has had a shocking year coming off his fractured neck... but i would definitely give him next year, to see if he can get back to his best ... because at his best he is one of the best backrowers in the game.

Macca can either have a release, if he can find a new home or play ISC as a backup ... we need to run with a Turps/Segers 1-2 punch from next year (or next week)

Glenn has been our best most consistent back rower this year ... the bloke is an utter professional, is ultra consistent and the most under rated player in the game IMO ... definitely deserves another contract ... even if it is only one year, with a plan to transition him into a coaching role after that

Well, he would have had an opportunity to show what he can do as a six rather than a halfback here. I see what you are saying about the warriors, but they arent exactly playing to their ability either. I just think we might have got the best out of him not playing next to Milf in the halves.
He might have had a 7 on his back but nikorima was not the halfback. He would have been a great dummy half impact sub, maybe starting occasionally. He didn't want to play that role because he had this idea put in his head by a past coach that he was a starting half. He isn't...
Not one player anyone has talked about that we should have kept has shown anything whatsoever that has made me think "what a mistake letting them go". Mcguire has been good at cowboys but for a player on his money you'd want him to be, and if we kept him we lose one maybe two of our young forwards who have shown they can be great. Ffs we just need patience. Consistency was always going to be an issue with a young team. But we weren't winning any premierships with the lot we had. Would I have liked to have kept mcguire, knik and kahu in the team-yes. But we have a salary cap. We either lose players that could be great in exchange for a few more years of players who have had their chance to win us a premiership, or we take a chance and try to build a premiership team.

Regardless, kahu, mcguire and knik weren't going to be happy making way for the young brigade we have coming through. And they would have been in 2 years MAX. And yes I have forgotten about Roberts. He has been attrocious at souffs but even if he had been great that was by far the best decision seibold has made. He was obviously toxic.

I just don't see Nikorima as a half and I don't think he's ever going to be successful there. He's never really going to be a consistent performer in the halves.

Fullback on the other hand.. He could be a gun at fullback and I can't think of a bad performance from him when he was playing fullback for us. He also showed against the Panthers in that semi final that his height is not an issue.

Active Now

• FACTHUNT
  • Xzei
  • Nerd
  • Brocko
  • Dash
  • Mister Wright
  • Fitzy
  • Sproj
  • cento
  • Big Del
  • Foordy
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.