Excuses

I find this he looks happier stuff hilarious. It’s just a throw away line people use trying to justify their opinions.

He could look fucking miserable at 6 for all I care as long as it’s best for our team, which it is.
I don't really agree that Milford at 5/8 is best for the team. My reasons aren't because he appears happier but I think he does anyway. My preference has always been for smaller halfbacks and stockier 5/8s but appearances and physical dimension aside I like it being more difficult for the offence to pick out the smaller guys.

One of my absolute favourite players was Jason Smith and my perfect size for a 5/8. The fact he had time and great timing as well were bonuses. He was a solid defender too.

Milford and another little guy just present too easy a target and they end up doing a mountain of defence. I'm writing this in a general sense and not referring to our current setup.

He might have had a 7 on his back but nikorima was not the halfback. He would have been a great dummy half impact sub, maybe starting occasionally. He didn't want to play that role because he had this idea put in his head by a past coach that he was a starting half. He isn't...
Not one player anyone has talked about that we should have kept has shown anything whatsoever that has made me think "what a mistake letting them go". Mcguire has been good at cowboys but for a player on his money you'd want him to be, and if we kept him we lose one maybe two of our young forwards who have shown they can be great. Ffs we just need patience. Consistency was always going to be an issue with a young team. But we weren't winning any premierships with the lot we had. Would I have liked to have kept mcguire, knik and kahu in the team-yes. But we have a salary cap. We either lose players that could be great in exchange for a few more years of players who have had their chance to win us a premiership, or we take a chance and try to build a premiership team.

Regardless, kahu, mcguire and knik weren't going to be happy making way for the young brigade we have coming through. And they would have been in 2 years MAX. And yes I have forgotten about Roberts. He has been attrocious at souffs but even if he had been great that was by far the best decision seibold has made. He was obviously toxic.

I'd have only really liked us to have kept Moose who we let go. I will never be convinced letting such a quality forward who is an ultimate competitor go was a good decision. He wasnt on the type of money the Cowboys are paying him here, so he may have wanted to leave regardless as their offer was really good. Poor old Kahu again is just so injury prone. Nikorima i do think suffered from pretty much playing the same type of game as Milf, but not as well as Milf, but i think he could have been an option at 6. I do think his most effective role is as an impact hooker, but i've seen enough from him to think he could be a decent 5/8.

Consistency was an issue last year as well tbf with the amount of younger guys we blooded as well. We were pretty erratic. Great one week and poor the next. i think this year its a bit more pronounced.

I'd have only really liked us to have kept Moose who we let go. I will never be convinced letting such a quality forward who is an ultimate competitor go was a good decision. He wasnt on the type of money the Cowboys are paying him here, so he may have wanted to leave regardless as their offer was really good. Poor old Kahu again is just so injury prone. Nikorima i do think suffered from pretty much playing the same type of game as Milf, but not as well as Milf, but i think he could have been an option at 6. I do think his most effective role is as an impact hooker, but i've seen enough from him to think he could be a decent 5/8.

Consistency was an issue last year as well tbf with the amount of younger guys we blooded as well. We were pretty erratic. Great one week and poor the next. i think this year its a bit more pronounced.
Great response mate. Can't argue with any of it. And for once in this place, looking at both sides of the argument. Im prone to it myself, but this place is insane sometimes...

Great response mate. Can't argue with any of it. And for once in this place, looking at both sides of the argument. Im prone to it myself, but this place is insane sometimes...

I must admit I'm a bit down on Seibs, probably because i expected a lot more from us this year. I do like him as a coach and i was expecting him to just tweak our structures and plays like he did at Souths rather than rip everything up like he has. Maybe its what we need, i guess we will see next year if it all pans out.

I must admit I'm a bit down on Seibs, probably because i expected a lot more from us this year. I do like him as a coach and i was expecting him to just tweak our structures and plays like he did at Souths rather than rip everything up like he has. Maybe its what we need, i guess we will see next year if it all pans out.
Burgess , inglis, cook , gagai , Reynolds and Walker helped.

If you think Glenn should go then your on drugs, if anything he deserves to be captain.

On form I'd rather lose one of the others mentioned, but Glenn is off contract and we need to re-sign Fifita immediately. Plus I'm not really sure where Glenn fits in next year, Fifita and TPJ should be our starting second row forwards but Gillett is likely going to be hanging around. I reckon Carrigan will be prime to start at lock and play 60+ mins, he's a workhorse in the Arrow mold and is really coming good.

Anyone other than a genuine halfback, steady or brilliant, is insufficient, a recipe for disaster, as we are finding out against quality opposition, when structure, organisation, defensive nous and intelligent kicking is required, of which we have absolute ZERO.

It's all about instinct apart from experience and basic football skills. Turpin has none, Boyd has none. Turpin is and plays like, a hooker wearing the number 7, and Boyd just hasn't got any idea how to organise an attack. We don't have a half and hooker. We have 2 hookers. Yawn. And again, as a half, Boyd is utterly clueless

Without a genuine half, 7 and 6, we are also ran against the top sides. Our recruitment and retention failures are biting us on the bum big time
In reality we are a bunch of apprentices and retirees trying to compete against teams full of tradesman.

The good teams generally replace tradesman with tradesman with a sprinkling of quality apprentices bought through and being nurtured by these people. Some even replace good tradesman with better tradesman (Pearce / Cronk)

We were extremely benevolent with our retirees contracts and appear to be stuck with them.

Our succession plan, if we had one, didn’t or wouldn’t or couldn’t foresee the need to replace the likes of Hodges and Parker with other tradesman when they retired.

When we kicked off, when we were the benchmark and in our heyday we were a team of tradesman. When we needed a front rower we reached out to Paul Harrigan and when he knocked us back we got Glenn Lazarus and Cyril had the likes of Lockyer coming through.

We need to be patient with our apprentices until they become tradesman. We need to **** off our retirees and replace them with tradesman. We need to be patient with our coach, who has just walked in the door, who I am sure is doing his best to make us competitive with the odds against him. He inherited our roster that he is not yet totally responsible for and he should only be judged when that happens.

Above all we need to hope our recruitment and football department has put together a succession plan. One that ensures when our current apprentices do become tradesman we maintain the status quo, a correct balance of both tradesman and apprentices. We can then take on the good teams on our terms, on level ground.

Last edited:
Look at what has happened to the Lions since they brought in Luke Hodge. This is exactly what the Broncos need to do, go get an old-head winner. Doesn’t matter if he’s a bit busted, and manage his work load.

Cronk or Maloney. We should have thrown the cheque book at them before they announced their retirement/departure.

Cronk or Maloney. We should have thrown the cheque book at them before they announced their retirement/departure.

Cronk was never leaving Sydney ... regardless of how much cash we threw at him ... he left Melbourne for a reason.

Maloney wasn't really prepared to leave Sydney either ... the only reason he is now is because he doesn't want to play against the Panthers.

the missed opportunity from Bennett and the recruitment team was Mitchell Pearce. he may not be much chop at Origin, but he is an excellent club player and would have not only been a perfect foil to Milford, but also have allowed us to developed our young halves a bit longer before throwing them in the deep end

I wonder about Jake Friend. Do the roosters want to keep him around? Could we get him for cheap as an old head to have around the club, he wouldn't be worse than Macca and could teach Turps a thing or too.

We need to start thinking out of the box.

I wonder about Jake Friend. Do the roosters want to keep him around? Could we get him for cheap as an old head to have around the club, he wouldn't be worse than Macca and could teach Turps a thing or too.

a big no to friend ... he is a very slightly upgraded version of Macca ... pass

a turps/segeyaro 1-2 punch FTW

If the coach knew all along that we were going to lose, he should have applied dirty tactics.
Include Tagatese in the run on team for one purpose. Hit Cameron Smith off the ball after he passes. Same as what Sims did to Morgan, but harder so as to knock him out.
Tagatese would not have got a run ever anyways. Worst case he gets sent off, but maybe likely sin bin. His suspension would not even affect the future make up of the team.

Last edited:

In 1-2 years time who are the senior players you could trust to lead our squad? Smith, Cronk, Maloney will all be gone - and the teams that lose them will regress I suspect, especially the storm - so who do you go after? RTS would probably be the next best coming through in my opinion, and I'd lose Milf to get him.

EDIT: He's on contract until the end of 2022 so will be nearing 30 for a guy who has had knee recons and relies on athleticism. No thanks. So the next best signing target is Ponga, but he isn't a leader. We just have to give our squad experience and after time they'll be unstoppable on their own once we sort of the Macca, Boyd, Gillett conundrum. Imagine Fifita, Lodge, Haas, Carrigan, Staggs, etc hitting their peak in the same season with someone like Ponga playing off them.

Last edited:
so who do we realistically see/want gone from the club nexts season..?

Boyd - yeh/nah
Gillett - yeh/nah
Macca - yeh/nah
Glenn -yeh/nah

Cause I guarantee some of those guys would get tepid interest from other clubs and some would get exactly zero...

Plus we'd probably have to subsidise their contracts to get them off the books. 50% or something like that which stays with us. This realistically is what it "costs" the club to get them out..can anyone else simply see nay of these guys leaving money on the table cause its good for the team?

I dont, and I wouldn't expect them too....

Boyd - GONE (Obvious reasons)
Macca - GONE (Obvious reasons)
Gillett - GONE (Body is failing him and at his price)

Glenn - KEEP is a leader which we have a lack of, still offers something and is on probably a tick over half of what Gillett is on. On value alone you’d keep him just on that.

You reckon there is any chance the Titans would do a swap deal for Gillett — Arrow?!?

i would put absolutely nothing past the Titans currently...so yeh why not..??

If the coach knew all along that we were going to lose, he should have applied dirty tactics.
Include Tagatese in the run on team for one purpose. Hit Cameron Smith off the ball after he passes. Same as what Sims did to Morgan, but harder so as to knock him out.
Tagatese would not have got a run ever anyways. Worst case he gets sent off, but maybe likely sin bin. His suspension would not even affect the future make up of the team.

Dude. That is some AWESOME thinking.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Fozz
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.