rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
draggx said:
rnabokov said:
Anonymous person said:
as great as Gillett is looking, i think i would prefer Teo as our lock, with gillett coming off the bench for impact.

Gillett for "impact"? You're joking, right?

A player with such high level ball playing skills, speed, vision, footwork is bloody wasted on the bench. He should there full-time, adding another string to the bow.

Now T'eo has real impact - bring him on after 20 minutes to both smash a tiring attack and run wide (like Creagh) at a backline - now that is impact.

Would love to see T'eo, Anderson and McGuire all come on between the 20 and the 30 for some major impact as all 3 have it in them to be great impact players.

Absolutely!

T'eo and Sammy targeting the backs out wide - they are soooo underused. Again, look at the way the Dragons use Creagh. And then imagine having Inglis, Gillett, Hodges in support.

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
Gillette still has to earn his place in the pecking order. Parker and Sammy are the only two starters, the other spot can be sorted out over the pre season.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
m1c said:
Gillette still has to earn his place in the pecking order. Parker and Sammy are the only two starters, the other spot can be sorted out over the pre season.

Hannant is also a certain starter IMO

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
m1c said:

I guess the one thing that really gets me is this stuff about "earning your spot", "pecking orders", "too young".

Dammit, if Gillett hasn't shown that he has what it takes then we don't deserve to keep him.

Put him in the firing line and let him go. He's 23. It's his time.

Other clubs do it. We should stop being so damn conservative and take some risks.

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
rnabokov said:
m1c said:

I guess the one thing that really gets me is this stuff about "earning your spot", "pecking orders", "too young".

Dammit, if Gillett hasn't shown that he has what it takes then we don't deserve to keep him.

Other clubs do it. We should stop being so damn conservative and take some risks.

On the flip side it's also about loyalty and respect.

Chill out, I think everyone would acknowledge he's in our best 17. Like it or lump it there is a pecking order within the side and it has Parker and Sammy well ahead of Gillett.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
m1c said:
rnabokov said:
m1c said:

Chill out, I think everyone would acknowledge he's in our best 17. Like it or lump it there is a pecking order within the side and it has Parker and Sammy well ahead of Gillett.

I'm not talking 17. I'm talking 13.

The only pecking order that counts is form.

And thank you, I am well chilled.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
IMO, Gillett's best matches this year where when he was coming off the bench. i think our team is best served with a starting backrow of:

11. Te'o
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Foordy said:
IMO, Gillett's best matches this year where when he was coming off the bench. i think our team is best served with a starting backrow of:

11. Te'o
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

Maybe, but he's now proved, to me at least, that he can be so damaging that he belongs in the starting 13 in the position we have missed for so long - a true ball playing lock, a hard hitting lock, and a lock forward who has the footwork and speed off the mark to make a break up the middle.

Parker is not that.

Who knows? Maybe even a year at lock might make him an ideal replacement for Locky at 2nd receiver.

T'eo is the ideal impact player off the bench, and Glenn the ideal utility.

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
rnabokov said:
m1c said:
rnabokov said:
m1c said:

What a load of rot. Experience and past performance counts for just as much if not more. How do you think someone like Lockyer maintained his place in the starting 13 at the beginning of the year.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
rnabokov said:
in your opinion lol

in my opinion, like foordys, we are better off with Teo on the field all the time, with Gillett coming off the bench.

Teo is a MUCH better defender than Gillett, and what was one of our main problems this year? defence! Teo is your TC kind of lock, only much faster and a much better line runner. gillett can come on after 20 minutes, and put the pressure on the opposition with his pace and ball playing skills.

also, to say this: "The only pecking order that counts is form"

well, im 99% sure that you would have been one of the people that was saying lockyer should never be dropped. on form, Lockyer shouldve been dropped 2 years ago.

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
IMO Gillett is a better defender. Teo is just the popular pick due to his ability to put on shots.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
m1c said:
rnabokov said:
m1c said:
rnabokov said:
m1c said:

What a load of rot. Experience and past performance counts for just as much if not more. How do you think someone like Lockyer maintained his place in the starting 13 at the beginning of the year.

Every other half was in shit form as well?

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Anonymous person said:
rnabokov said:
in your opinion lol

in my opinion, like foordys, we are better off with Teo on the field all the time, with Gillett coming off the bench.

Teo is a MUCH better defender than Gillett, and what was one of our main problems this year? defence! Teo is your TC kind of lock, only much faster and a much better line runner. gillett can come on after 20 minutes, and put the pressure on the opposition with his pace and ball playing skills.

also, to say this: "The only pecking order that counts is form"

well, im 99% sure that you would have been one of the people that was saying lockyer should never be dropped. on form, Lockyer shouldve been dropped 2 years ago.

Drop Lockyer? And replace him with who? Locky's form is multi-dimensional. His leadership is paramount. We saw that recently.

T'eo is not a better defender than Gillett, as observed above. He hits hard. So does Gillett. They are both great defenders.

However, T'eo is neither the the ball player we need at lock, nor can he read the play like Gillett. As those skills develop, Gillett will be a most remarkable player.

Playing him from the bench is not developing a unique talent.

The team is blessed to have both. The question is how best to deploy them.

Time will tell.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
rnabokov said:
T'eo is not a better defender than Gillett, as observed above. He hits hard. So does Gillett. They are both great defenders.

However, T'eo is neither the the ball player we need at lock, nor can he read the play like Gillett. As those skills develop, Gillett will be a most remarkable player.
who says we NEED a ball playing lock? noone complained about TC at lock, and he had as much ball playing ability as Hunt and Stagg did at 5/8th [icon_lol1.

and iirc, didnt TC get voted as our best lock of all time on these very forums?

Teo is a better defender overall than Gillett from what ive seen, and he hits MUCH harder than Gillett does.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Anonymous person said:
rnabokov said:

who says we NEED a ball playing lock? noone complained about TC at lock, and he had as much ball playing ability as Hunt and Stagg did at 5/8th [icon_lol1.

and iirc, didnt TC get voted as our best lock of all time on these very forums?

Teo is a better defender overall than Gillett from what ive seen, and he hits MUCH harder than Gillett does.

Spot on.

Active Now

• Battler
  • Skathen
  • Hurrijo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.