FC Barcelona thread

1-0 It ends! Another classic, end to end although it lacked many great scoring chances but that was down to quality defending by both sides as much as anything. So physical and so fast, another great match between these two, and the outcome showed there is so little between these two sides and that it is going to be a very long and close season. I am almost willing to bet the La Liga winner will be whichever of these two gets knocked out first in Europe.

I thought we deserved a point from this game, gutted to have so many chances and still come up with nothing. Credit to Barcelona, the last ditch tackles they made today were out of this world. Happy with our defense as well, ofcourse except for the Zlatan goal where he came in from behind with not a body near him.

We were definitely the better team in the first half. Marcelo was horrible. Should have started with Benzema instead of Marcelo with Higuain playing out wide. Henry was trash.

Yeah Henry was pretty horrid today, thought you probably shaded us in the first and we got you just in the second. Both sides defended better against eachother than I can ever remember. I think this race will come down to the return in the Bernabeu.

Cannot wait for the second Classico. It will be HUGE. Puyol played his best match in years.

Puyol & Pique were amazing this morning. Great defense from both sides, especially since both teams are known to have defense as their sides weakness. Messi & Ronaldo both had clear chances saved. Great game.

That is what I love about Spain, you can see a 1-0 or 0-0 result and have it be a magnificent spectacle. Valdes was again superb as he is very regularly these days. I hope he gets a spot on the plane to South Africa because if he isn't one of Spain's best 3 keepers they are kidding themselves. Pique and Puyol is clearly our best centre half combination the two of them work so well together, Pique times his tackles so well and knows when to push up while Puyol takes on that rush in and pressure role beautifully. For the first time ever I always feel assured with our defense because the guys in general we have for these positions are quality.

hopefully Marquez' days are done. :P

lolz, just a few minuted after i posted that, i found this....

MADRID (AFP) - Mexican international defender Rafa Marquez on Monday extended his contract with Barcelona until 2012, becoming the eighth player to renew with the European champions so far this season.

"I?m very happy to renew with a club where I?ve felt very wanted, where I?ve enjoyed myself and where I?ve suffered. I have to enjoy these moments, they pass very quickly," he said after signing his new contract.

"Now I need to recover full match fitness to try and win back a place in the starting eleven, though competition is tough. I think I still have a good chance of being in the starting line-up."

Marquez, whose contract was due to expire in June 2010, joined Barcelona in 2003 from French side Monaco.

Various injuries have restricted his appearances this season and he faces stiff competition to regain his place from the likes of Barcelona captain Carles Puyol and Gerard Pique who put in strong performances during the club's 1-0 league win on Sunday over arch-rivals Real Madrid.

Barcelona gave no financial details except to say that Marquez's buy-out clause remains unchanged at 100 million euros (149 million dollars).

He joins Eric Abidal, Yaya Toure, Victor Valdes, Pedro Rodriguez, Lionel Messi, Puyol and Andres Iniesta in renewing their contracts with Barcelona.

He isn't that bad, but his poor displays lately have been lack of fitness as much as anything. I also really rated him in the stopper/defensive midfield role before they pretty much used him only as a defender. Either way he is an ok back up if Pique, Puyol and the Ukrainian all go down hurt.

Also congratualtions to Leo Messi got announced the Ballon d'Or winner for this year with a record amount of votes (over double second which was Cristiano). It bugs me that neither Xavi or Iniesta ran second because they were just as instrumental as Messi was this season.

go messi!!!

What's the deal with Pedro? Everytime I see him play he looks pretty ordinary. I can see why Brusquets is rated but not Pedro.

As for Messi, he is simply amazing. His ability to impact a match time after time is incredible. Despite his relatively short time in the game, I think he's close to the best player in my lifetime.

Nice lob by Zlatan this morning. Bojan looked pretty pissed though.

I wouldn't say Messi is already close to being the best player in our lifetime. He can get there though, depending on how he adapts and changes his game when he gets older. Ronaldo and Zidane were better in the last 15 years than Messi is right now. But he has a lot of time to catch up.

Pedro has scored 9 goals in all competitions this season, he must be doing something right. I think he is a real talent, doesn't have the pace or skill of Messi but is pretty clinical in front of goal for a guy of his lack of experience. I rate him highly and think he will score a lot of goals through his career.

The Gymp said:
I think he is a real talent

Gymp, you think everyone who has ever donned a Barca shirt is a talent. [icon_razz1

Active Now

• MrRobot
  • bert_lifts
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.