Finals Week 1 Discussion

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I wish I was sitting with Russell Crowe last night.

That asian chick standing behind him was smoking hot.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Not surprised to see Souths win as Manly are understrength in the forwards and Souths main power is their drive through the middle but the way they dominated Manly for 60 minutes was incredible. I can't recall the last time Manly got towelled like that. Conceding 24 points at the end might end up as a positive for them in the end. If they didn't have a bad finish they might've rocked up in the 3rd week of the finals thinking that all they need to do is play like that again but the finish might've pulled the back down to earth.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
It all begins again tomorrow when at 1pm when the Knights face off against the Dragons in the Holden Cup Qualifying Final.

Then the Roosters meet the Warriors in the second Elimination Final.

Unfortunately for us Broncos fans, our first opportunity to see the NYC boys is a 1:30am Sunday replay of the Broncos v Eels clash.

If you're smart, you'll get your beauty sleep and watch it at 10:30am.

If you're insane like me, I'll be delayed posting about it on here because I'm a footy tragic and that's just the way it is.

Then we have Sydney v Panthers. Panthers are amazing odds at $4.15 - I wouldn't be against throwing around some loose change on them but at the end of the day believe that Sydney will just hold on. While the Cowboys face off against the Broncos and we'll cover that and all the fall-out over in the Broncos board.

Twiztid

Twiztid

NRL Player
Apr 14, 2009
Big Pete. Going back to the NYC game. Do you think the Tigers player should have received 10 mins for what looked like a deliberate tackle to the head after the kick? We were giving it to the player as they kept reviewing it.

I also found the Tigers wrestled more like a first grade team do than your typical NYC game. Both teams played great in patches and I really thought we let it slip. The dropped try and our fullback gave up some really good chances early in the sets.

For first grade. What a match! The only thing I have from that. Did we play that good or did Manly play that bad? I hope that last 20 from this game will be drilled into them for the next 2 weeks and looking at the spray I would say it will be. I do have to say losing Ballin was a huge loss as he cleans so much up around the middle. Then Burher does the same. We exploited that weakness pretty well.

I feel a lot more confident this year then previous years that we can do it. We still have to play what is front of us, for the full 80. Across the field we are fielding one of the strongest mixes of talent and a lot of it is young talent, I have ever seen in a Souths team.

Having Sutton in that extra spot in the 2nd row really had the Manly defenders 2nd guessing. That might be that final clog. Having Keary, Sutton and Inglis all possible of breaking through at any time on that left side is just amazing. At the start of the year I thought Lote might never play first grade again but Goodwins injury was our reward. He has really found some vintage form.

Anyways - Up the Bunnies.

Last edited:
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
It all begins again tomorrow when at 1pm when the Knights face off against the Dragons in the Holden Cup Qualifying Final.

Then the Roosters meet the Warriors in the second Elimination Final.

Unfortunately for us Broncos fans, our first opportunity to see the NYC boys is a 1:30am Sunday replay of the Broncos v Eels clash.

If you're smart, you'll get your beauty sleep and watch it at 10:30am.

If you're insane like me, I'll be delayed posting about it on here because I'm a footy tragic and that's just the way it is.

Then we have Sydney v Panthers. Panthers are amazing odds at $4.15 - I wouldn't be against throwing around some loose change on them but at the end of the day believe that Sydney will just hold on. While the Cowboys face off against the Broncos and we'll cover that and all the fall-out over in the Broncos board.

Wait what? The broncos NYC game isn't televised live?

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Big Pete. Going back to the NYC game. Do you think the Tigers player should have received 10 mins for what looked like a deliberate tackle to the head after the kick? We were giving it to the player as they kept reviewing it.

To be honest, I thought he should have been sent off.

I also found the Tigers wrestled more like a first grade team do than your typical NYC game. Both teams played great in patches and I really thought we let it slip. The dropped try and our fullback gave up some really good chances early in the sets.

I thought both teams were very bad in this regard. Souths were pretty dirty too, working in the ruck but also giving Moses plenty of attention with a lot of cheap shots.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
St George Illawarra vs Newcastle Knights - NYC Qualifying Final

7 - Clune scores a quality try off the boot of Crook but it all began earlier as the Dragons went down the right touchline through Moceidreke who kicked ahead and somehow got the flick back inside for Crook.

6-0 Dragons.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Captains Challenge goes the Dragons way and they're back on attack.

I'm very mixed on it, especially since the video referees tend to struggle more than most.

Now Jack Bird brushes off Matai'utia, runs back on the inside and scores off a grubber. I've got to say, Bird was robbed a spot in the NYC side of the year.

19 gone

12-0 Dragons

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Knights hit back.

That was soft, penalty went the Knights way and off a quick play the ball from Fitzgibbon, Togiatese takes it to the line hands it off to Feeney who scores a soft try.

Dragons 12-6

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
HT Dragons lead 14-6.

A fair reflection of the game. The Dragons have had the better of play and while they've threatened to extend their lead, the Knights have done well to shut them out.

Meanwhile, the Knights continue to do everything to keep themselves out of the contest. Silly penalties, risky set plays that lead to errors and a blatant disregard for the rules. Honestly, the half shoud have ended at 12-6, maybe even 12 all had the Knights capitilised on the 20m restart but instead Mamo touched the ball before it bounced dead trying to restart as quickly as he could.

Knights are still well and truly in this though and if possession evens out (Dragons 63% of the ball) they could take it in the second half.

Stand Outs Dragons - Moceidreke, Crook, Fonua-Blake & Bird.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
45 - Knights score through the boot of Mamo who took it to the line running an open-side spread, put a grubber kick through and Donovan was able to get there in time to ground the ball.

14-10 Dragons.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
49 - Knights make a mistake off the kick off and the Dragons waste little time scoring through Dufty. Smart outside inside play from Crook & Bird put Dufty into space and he strolls over to restore the Dragons lead.

18-10 Dragons

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
53 - Tapine accepts a nice cut-out from Lamb and just powers his way over and forces the issue grounding the ball as he was being twisted back by the desperate Dragons defence.

18-16 Dragons.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
59 - Crook turns the ball back on the inside to Jack Bird who shrugs off a lot of would be defenders to score down the opposite fringe.

I've really been impressed with Jack - still can't believe he didn't make the NYC side of the year. Word is he's off to Cronulla so I suppose he isn't the brighest bulb in the shed.

24-16 Dragons

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
77 - Wow it's been a controversial few moments. Captains challenges, video referees but now it appears the Dragons will qualify for the prelim as Crook broke through down the right fringe and despite the Knights attempt to interfere with the pass, Thompson takes it and dots down in the corner.

Crook converts

Dragons 30-22 with 2 minutes remaining.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Morkel
  • Shane Tronc
  • Bucking Beads
  • Alec
  • Kev_Guz
  • Galah
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  • Jazza
  • Allo
  • Aldo
  • Harry Sack
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.