Finals Week 1 Discussion

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
And that's FT.

Dragons advance to the Prelim Final on the back of an impressive 30-22 win.

Wow isn't this awkward? Knights are accepting their minor premier reward while they have to bask in their own defeat. It was a pretty ordinary performance from them today and they just couldn't get into any rhythm.

To the Dragons credit, they were strong in all the key departments and while it seemed like a few missed opportunities would come back to hurt them, in the end, they were able to hold the Knights out and extend their lead at just the right time.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Warriors v Roosters up next.

Warriors have Lolohea playing which again, if there was any eligibility rules they're well and truly out the window as he only played 3 games of NYC all year. Glad to see him playing too - quality talent and it's good to see the best and brightest compete but I was under a false impression here.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
3 - Warriors receive a penalty from a shoulder charge and a few plays later, Warriors make a half-break and from the next play Robinson sums it up with a smart inside play to his captain Lisone who scores a soft try under the sticks.

Warriors 6-0

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
16 - Quick play the ball from Lolohea allows the Warriors to spread the ball right and despite a bit of a delay, Kata is too big too strong close to the line and they regain their lead.

12-6

19 - As I type that, Lolohea accepts an offload from Maumalo, bursts down field and finds Nathaniel Roache in the corner.

16-6 Warriors

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
23 - Robinson gets it on the last close to the line, sums it up well and aims a sneaky grubber off the posts and Tuimavave-Gerard is able to somehow gain control of the ball and dot down right under the posts.

22-6 Warriors.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
27 - Roosters finally hit back through Goodsell. Cornish throws a cut-out to Lewis, who throws a cut-out and Goodsell does well to dive and squeeze a try in and boy did the Roosters need that.

22-10 Warriors.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
http://live.nrlstats.com/matches/nrl/match33601.html - Stats from the Knights/Dragons game. 17 tackle breaks to Bird!

33 - Meanwhile Lolohea dummies, goes himself and scores a simple try adjacent to the uprights. The try came off Abbey blocking a penalty kick for touch and the Roosters felt the brunt of it.

28-10 Warriors.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
HT - After Cornish makes a break against the run of play, the Roosters catch the Warriors on the back-foot and Mariner tears through some tired and soft Warriors defence to cut their lead back.

28-14 Warriors.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
43 - Warriors cough up the ball inside their own half and the Roosters make them pay through Mariner who throws a freakish one-arm flick to Goodsell who scores in the corner

Warriors 28-18.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
47 - Warriors spread the ball right, draw and pass from Kata to Lisati who tip-toes down the sideline, dives and plants the ball just inside the field of play. Another amazing try this arvo.

32 - 18 Warriors

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
52 - Roache switches the play back on the inside to Sipley who powers his way over adjacent to the posts.

Warriors lead 38-18 and it appears that the Chooks season maybe well and truly over.

And the Warriors maybe the team to watch out for in the finals. With Kata & Lolohea on board, they're capable of anything.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
56 - Lisone bags a double for the Warriors and it's starting to get ugly for the Roosters. Lyons gave away a dumb shoulder charge penalty and it just gave the Warriors an easy opportunity to score.

Warriors 44-18

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
61 - After a short kick-off and four penalties in a row, the Roosters finally score as Elliott forces his way over from dummy half close to the line.

44-24 Warriors.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I like how Trent takes the time a couple of hours before the game to talk about the game. What he wants from the team, how they should play and the team selections.

It's good to listen to when driving. I think Broncos should do that.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
FT - Uele makes a big break through the middle of the field. Roosters spread the ball right and despite the attention of two Warriors defenders, Milne forces the ball over the line and gives the Roosters fans something to smile about.

Warriors advance to Week 2 by 44-30 and the Roosters are finished for 2014.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
The Warriors have really announced themselves as the smokies of the finals with a comprehensive 44-30 victory. There was plenty to like about that performance from the Warriors and while they drifted out of that game for patches, they were far too strong for the Roosters who were never really in the contest.

With Lolohea & Kata on board, I can really see them troubling either Parra or Brisbane next week.

Meanwhile I thought the Roosters were very ordinary. Yes, the Warriors started on fire but they had plenty of time to fight back and plenty of talent to fight back with but they were guilty of giving away some very dumb penalties, silly errors and poor set plays. I thought Nene McDonald in particular was really poor - it seemed like he had no idea what his role was and was always in two minds whether to pass or run it - the latter won out whenever he bothered to take the ball. For them, Jakiel Mariner was easily their best player.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Error Page

Video of the shoulder charge Twiz and I were talking about earlier.

I thought it was worth a send off - thoughts?

Active Now

• Dash
  • Lozza
  • Santa
  • Mick_Hancock
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Galah
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Footy Fanatic
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.