Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Given standard practice is stopping the play for injuries once the present play is over - they wouldn't be in any legal trouble what so ever.
Standard practice is to stop play if the injured player may get involved in the play. The ball was lying next to him if that's not being in the play then nothing is.

I had to dig through the history books to see if the Broncos had ever managed to win with a score of less than 13 points in a final.

We'd have to go all the way back to 1990, to the Broncos first ever finals win for a lower score.

Here's Middo's take...

Bronco form reversal

Minor Semi-Final
Brisbane 12; Manly 4

Brisbane staged a stunning form reversal after their preliminary semi-final loss to Penrith to outplay a confident Manly team 12-4 in the knockout semi-final.

Manly were installed as favourites to win the match after their gritty defeat of Balmain, and the Broncos indifferent form against Penrith a week earlier.

But from the outset, Brisbane showed a tonne of character to overturn their previous disappointment.

And they were forced to overcome the loss of star players Dale Shearer and Greg Dowling, who withdrew, injured, in the lead-up to the match.

After his nightmare against Brad Izzard, five-eighth Kevin Walters responded like a champion, leading the charge against the Sea Eagles with his twin brother Kerrod.

He gave Brisbane a dream start when he backed up a dummy half break by Kerrod to score after just 12 minutes of play. And they could have skipped even further ahead when Peter Jackson was ruled offside from a Kevin Walters grubber kick soon after.

The Broncos' defence had an urgency about it whih cut cown Manly's attacking plays every time they approached their quarter. Test half Allan Langer finished the day with 30 tackles.

Brisbane led 6-2 at halftime after Terry Matterson (Brisbane) and Matthew Ridge (Manly) had added penalty goals and Manly were still well in contention when Ridge landed his second penalty for 4-6 after 55 minutes to play.

He could have leveled in the 71st minute but an angled penalty attempt swung wide.

Both sides had their chances to take the match as time ran out, but it was the Broncos who stole the initiative with just two minutes to play.

Peter Jackson, one of Brisbane's best, accepted a neat pass from Terry Matterson to put the issue beyond doubt.

Manly half Geoff Toovey lost no admirers with a gutsy display after being heavily concussed in the first half, but he was one of few Manly players to shine.

Brisbane 12 (Kevin Walters, Jackson tries; T. Matterson 2 goals) defeated Manly 4 (M. Ridge 2 goals)

Scrums: Brisbane 10-6. Penalties: Manly 14-6.
Crowd: 31, 424 Referee: Bill Harrigan.
Reserves: Brisbane defeated Norths 14-2. President's Cup: Parramatta defeated Penrith 13-4.

Brisbane: Hauff, Hancock, Miles (c), Johns, Carne
Kevin Walters, Langer
Matterson, Hohn, Gee, Allen, Kerrod Waters, Donnelly.
Replacements: Jackson for Allen, Conway for Hohn

Manly: Ridge, Liddiard, Williams, O'Connor (c), Iro
Lyons, Toovey
Cunningham, Roberts, Jones, Hosking, O'Donnell, Bella.
Replacements: Shelford for Hosking, Dunford for Roberts, Hasler for O'Donnell

Sin Bin: Roberts (Manly) - 5 min, Hancock (Brisbane) - 5 min, Johns (Brisbane) - 5 min.

Great win. Kerrod went the blind and found Kevin who outpaced Ridge.

The image that sticks with me is Matterson putting Action through and him fending off four guys to win the game.

Great defence. Seven days later was a different story.

In a post season game.*

The club record dates back even further. Round 6 1989 saw Brisbane defeat Parramatta 6-2.

Johns scored that try in terrible wet and mud. French chipped for Currie.

Wally stopped the game to help Sterlo who had to be stretched off in a neck brace. Ironic given the debate today.

The Hunt penalty wasn't a piggy back. I was incensed when it was blown, but as soon as they showed the replay, it was clear as day. Too much enthusiasm, way too early off the mark, and the Panthers got out of jail because Hunt opened the gates.

@Sproj , some of those player ratings are spot on, others truly make me wonder if I watched a different game. :p

Haha. Which ones are way off?

@Sproj again i find myself agreeing with MOST of what you said in your player review ... bit there is one thing you said i disagree with ...

you referred to Hunt as a halfback ... he isn't, he is a hooker, the last 6 weeks have shown that.

I want to see how Tallis will react if we go all the way lol. It will be glorious.

He won't acknowledge it. It'll be because the opposition was poor or some bullcrap.

Haha. Which ones are way off?
For starters, how does Gillett earn a lower rating than Ese2 or Thaiday, or in fact everyone else? Either the expectations are higher than some people have for Milf, or his work is criminally underrated.
Milford a worse rating that Benji, why? As above.

Blair a 9 and Glenn a 9.5? They were pretty good, but really not that good.

Gillett missed a shitload of tackles and wasn't particularly good in attack. He improved in the 2nd, but it doesn't add up to a good game IMO.

Glenn topped the metres made by a pretty big margin, he really tries to make up for Thaiday's and Blair's """impact""" in attack.

For starters, how does Gillett earn a lower rating than Ese2 or Thaiday, or in fact everyone else? Either the expectations are higher than some people have for Milf, or his work is criminally underrated.
Milford a worse rating that Benji, why? As above.

Blair a 9 and Glenn a 9.5? They were pretty good, but really not that good.

Agree with the rest, but I agree with the Glenn one, I thought he was pretty much our best.

Gillett's missed tackles are due to his aggressive play style in the opposition's half, where his aim is to disrupt more than stick.
He generally doesn't miss them in our half, much less near our line, where he keeps coming with try saving tackles, one of which last night.

He also had 130 mtrs for 15 runs on top of 47 tackles, which almost doubled Glenn's.

I always look forward to Sproj's player ratings. It's one of the best traditions on the website and I look forward to what he has to say. While 5 maybe a tad rough, I agree with what Sproj had to say about Gillett's performance.

12. Gillett - Shocking first half from the best second-rower in the world but he went a long way to making amends in the second half. He really stepped it up in that second forty and he needs to do that and more for the full 80 next week to shut down the Storm's left side attack because what he produced in the first forty last night was awful. He is a big game player though these days so I'm confident he will.

The defensive stats weren't misleading, Gillett's 9 bad tackles in the first half was a fair reflection of how ordinary his performance was. Even Gillett himself admitted as much in a post-game interview. I also agree his second half was much improved and for mine he was the best Bronco on the field in that half.

I always look forward to Sproj's player ratings. It's one of the best traditions on the website and I look forward to what he has to say. While 5 maybe a tad rough, I agree with what Sproj had to say about Gillett's performance.

The defensive stats weren't misleading, Gillett's 9 bad tackles in the first half was a fair reflection of how ordinary his performance was. Even Gillett himself admitted as much in a post-game interview. I also agree his second half was much improved and for mine he was the best Bronco on the field in that half.
I appreciate Sproj's ratings. Doesn't mean I have to agree with them.

Was Gillo the worst Broncos player on the night? I don't think so, not even close!

Matt certainly had an ordinary performance against the Roosters, but not on Friday, where his missed tackles were mostly a measure of the work done attempting to disrupt the Panthers returns, as opposed to crucial misses in the line.
For comparison, Glenn, whom received a 9.5 score, missed 6 tackles to Gillett's 8, most of those also when chasing kick returns, while the best Bronco on the night with a score of 10, missed 7...

Missed tackles is one of the most misleading stats, as it doesn't take into account the circumstances and location of those tackles. Missing several like Glenn, Hunt and Gillo did, doesn't mean the defensive performance was bad.
Missing only 1 doesn't mean the performance was good either... right Thaiday?

Where are you getting those stats from Porthoz? NRL.com has Glenn with 2 missed tackles, 30 tackles and 168 metres from 14 runs. They also have Gillett with 8 missed, 46 made and 17 runs for 136m.

Active Now

• phoenix
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Froosh
  • Browny
  • Stix
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncsgoat
  • Scdeac
  • broncos4life
  • Jazza
  • FACTHUNT
  • Foordy
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Aldo
  • Fitzy
  • lynx000
  • Broncorob
  • GCBRONCO
  • Galah
  • Xzei
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.