Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Dash

Dash

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Dec 12, 2014
That definitely plays a role, and we probably lost our smartest player in Macca too this season.
But playing smarts is not the same as brain smarts, and I hope he forgives me for this, Locky is a great example of this.

We definitely also need an organiser... everyone including Wayne knows that, and I bet he regrets letting Taylor go more than anyone here, because that is a kid with footy smarts. Whether it's him or someone else, we need one badly, which will make us a better team.

But honestly, we lack much more than that.
We do not play to our strengths, we ignore the evidence and keep repeating the same mistakes with player selections, positioning, 5th tackle options, etc... and that's only one person's responsibility.

I mean, if Mitchell Pearce or Todd Carney can do it, anyone can!
I definitely don't mean IQ, I mean rugby league smarts.
I think what's keeping us from going from above average to premiers is a combination of two things we don't have. 1. An on field general who recognises what play and which player to give the ball to at the right time. 2. A coach much more amenable to change (or at least an assistant who is able to complement Bennett's man management with some football tactics)

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
It isn't clear. You just think it is but it's been known for a long time that you have no idea. I'm not doing another off season where everything is about Boyd and Bennett with no actual answers being put forward. I've asked you who should replace him and you've given nothing. Until you answer that I'm not bothering to reply.
Ah yes, the old "you have no idea". More quality deflection right there!

I have replied. You just choose to ignore it, but that's not new... you've always been very selective in what you answer.

P.S. How will I cope if I don't get your monotone repetitive "Milford is shit" and/or "Bennett knows all" replies. :whatwouldjareddo:

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I definitely don't mean IQ, I mean rugby league smarts.
I think what's keeping us from going from above average to premiers is a combination of two things we don't have. 1. An on field general who recognises what play and which player to give the ball to at the right time. 2. A coach much more amenable to change (or at least an assistant who is able to complement Bennett's man management with some football tactics)
Absolutely, that is what I meant with the Locky analogy in relation to smarts, and the tactician is another must imo, but don't say that too loud... some people might want to not reply!

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
2019, that will be our year. Pencil it in. No more Thurston. No more Slater or Cronk. Smith will be 36 if he's still playing. S-surely it has to be our year, r-right?

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
If the judiciary are fair dinkum then Slater will miss the GF.

He had plenty of time to pull out of that tackle.

Benji was slipping, but Slater reacted to that and crouched down but still caught him high.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
One of the worst things is that for the next week we're going to hear about how good and clinical Melbourne were and how much of a dominant performance it was.

But that wasn't really the case.

They were gifting us that game. They were handing it to us on a silver platter.

We just failed to capitalize and end it then and there.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Also do you think Wayne told them to not play the way Walters apparently told them to? Or were the Broncos trying to play expansive football at the beginning of the year and dropping almost every pass? Also we scored a lot of tries from the sweep play in 2015 as well. The biggest difference for me (Apart from Hodges) was Milford and Hunt playing together on the same side pretty regularly. Even this year when they got together things seemed to happen. Maybe there was a rift in the playing group.

i reckon hunt and milf haven't been getting along since 2016. in 2015 they were always scheming, hi-5 ing and smiling together. they dead set were the modern alf and kevvie show. but since 2016 they were never near each other even when one scored or set up the other for a try it was just a simple nod and pat on the back kind of celebration. this year i also noticed them death staring and whinging at each other a lot whenever a play broke down.

hopefully now that hunt is leaving they'll both feel at ease without what ever tension there was, if any, start fresh next season and get their games going again

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013
Second phase and support play is the key. We had none last night and we have lacked the support component for most of the year despite doing pretty well at the second phase part.

I felt that we put our second phase play on the back burner after that Parra game where Blair gave away the opening try and we looked very impotent in attack for the remainder of the year.

Support is where Milf, Hunt, Roberts, Boyd, Niko should excel but none of them were that interested last night. They were all too busy getting into position for the next sweep play.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
2019, that will be our year. Pencil it in. No more Thurston. No more Slater or Cronk. Smith will be 36 if he's still playing. S-surely it has to be our year, r-right?
what about the eels?

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
I'm normally an optimistic fan and like the positive spin. But tbh I don't see Brisbane winning a premiership in the next couple years after tonight. Mentally the storm and the cowboys have it over us. To add to this Thurston and slater retire next year and possibly smith the year after. They won't be cracking down on the wrestle or give us a fairtytale run with those gods retiring. How can you beat a defence that gets an extra second to set every tackle? Re-watch the game tonight and you'll see why there was a low penalty count. Because if the refs were fair dinkum and penalised for players putting in 2nd efforts after they have called held it would have upset smith. We were facing our own goal line every tackle with smith flopping on players and even ripping off ese ese's shirt after the ref called held, AFTER the ref called held. We got penalised for being off side after they threw a blatant forward pass because the Tallis and Kent said we were off side-every team does it!

Until the nrl crack down on the wrestle the storm will be the dominant team with the odd fairytale story breaking it up... it's been that way for 10 years and doesn't look like changing. They brought in the 8 interchanges to try to change it but the storm get 10-12 by milking the HIA (coincidentally it's always their big forwards). The refs need to crack down on it for an entire 2-3 years, otherwise the product will continue to deminish. They also should go to 6 interchange at the most and bring in independent doctors for the HIA
I see what you're saying and can agree with some of it.

But good teams always find a way to win, like QLD did in SOO 3 2006.

Don't get me wrong, some of the calls have been BS over the last few years, but for 39 minutes last night that didn't matter. If we just had a bit more polish and a little luck, we'd have been up 8 or 12 to 2.

That makes a big difference.

We need to understand we can't win EVERY year, and with the injuries we had in 2017, we were always up against it.

I guess I just personally think we overachieved on that basis and should be proud we got as far as we did.

That doesn't mean I'm not disappointed and that we don't have a lot of work to do to actually win it though.

badyon

badyon

QCup Player
Feb 8, 2014
Second phase and support play is the key.

Ding ding. This.

We have McGuire killing so many fourth tackles and rarely off loading.

When McGuire wasn't in the side at the back of 15, it forced Blair Thaiday and Cozza to take late set tackles and they created so much second phase in the opposition 20.

We looked like world beaters.

If we keep persisting with letting McGuire Gallen us on 4 th tackle we will never get that good again.

The difference between back end of 15 and now is second phase play.

If you are going to play running halves, we need second phase.

Macca was getting good at only giving McGuire the ball when it suited tough yards and on early tackles. Hunt fucked this up for us at the back end.

The only time Gallen looked like a winner was after game 2 SOO 2016. NSW and Cronulla said enough is enough and he pulled back his involvement in attack.

McGuire needs to do the same.

Add Lodge, Macca and bird to our pack and have a fit Boyd and milf, with no Moga, and we will give the comp a real shake in 2018.

Last edited:
Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
What a disgrace. How can a team that gets so deep into the finals have no idea in attack? Too many blokes in this team are overrated. Plenty of deadwood on the way now the season is over but where is the hope for the future?

Hammerman47

Hammerman47

BRL Player
Feb 6, 2016
As a bronco supporter since day one... and a Queenslander since before day one there is no way I will ever barrack for a NSW team over a team full of some of the best Queensland players ever.... I accepted we were not really going any further in the comp after the last Parra game so really not surprised we got smashed by Melb.... however I will now be 100% behind Melb, Cameron, Cooper, Billy and the 'Munster' ..... sorry if some don't like that but barrack for the ells or roosters....IN YER DREAMS!. Have a good off season everyone and if I make it ..see you next year.

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013
Have to say it's a pretty hollow feeling this morning.Just not sure of the direction the team is going at the moment. I still can't get my head around our decline since 2015, especially in attack.

JD got a lot of raps for supposedly making this side the best attacking team late in the year but to me we've looked very clunky for most of the year basically relying on pieces of individual brilliance to get the job done.

Milf is the key. If we can get him playing to his potential then we're right there for another premiership. If not, we'll just be making up the numbers as we were this year.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Have to say it's a pretty hollow feeling this morning.Just not sure of the direction the team is going at the moment. I still can't get my head around our decline since 2015, especially in attack.

JD got a lot of raps for supposedly making this side the best attacking team late in the year but to me we've looked very clunky for most of the year basically relying on pieces of individual brilliance to get the job done.

Milf is the key. If we can get him playing to his potential then we're right there for another premiership. If not, we'll just be making up the numbers as we were this year.

i wonder if bennett will go back to working on that boring style of play for next year. defence and grind out. i hope not, i really want to see some attacking structures get drilled into these guys

Active Now

• TwoLeftFeet
  • bb_gun
  • Bish
  • Sproj
  • Tmac
  • sooticus
  • Brocko
  • Manlyman
  • Waynesaurus
  • FACTHUNT
  • Big Del
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Justwin
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Fozz
  • Wolfie
  • TimWhatley
  • Bucking Beads
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.