PLAYER Fletcher Baker

Who's our next batch of forwards coming through in the juniors?
That's my concern with the Broncos, where's the Liam Henry type of player coming from? They basically have their fingers crossed that their QRL affiliates can recruit those players over for them and get by on the one or two gun juniors. The issue is, those guns are going to attract huge interest, so you're either paying overs to keep them or you're waiting for the next 2-3 cycle to produce.

I'd really like to know how many U/21s the Broncos have on a training contract. We know all about Mam, Willison, Te Kura, Mozer, Mariner etc. Who else has gone through the development prospect and is ready to hit the ground running?

That's my concern with the Broncos, where's the Liam Henry type of player coming from? They basically have their fingers crossed that their QRL affiliates can recruit those players over for them and get by on the one or two gun juniors. The issue is, those guns are going to attract huge interest, so you're either paying overs to keep them or you're waiting for the next 2-3 cycle to produce.

I'd really like to know how many U/21s the Broncos have on a training contract. We know all about Mam, Willison, Te Kura, Mozer, Mariner etc. Who else has gone through the development prospect and is ready to hit the ground running?
Yeah that's exactly what I'm wondering... where's the production line that we talk about all the time.

And Henry is the exact example I was thinking of after yesterday... a promising young player that comes in eager and provides value when put into the 17, but isnt needed to be there year round (unless they show they can handle it).

I daresay it was going to be Te Kura this year, but is that the end of the production line at the moment??

Willison debuted in 2021 I think, so in regards to middle forwards are we saying that we've found and developed one other middle forward in Te Kura since then?

Kobe came in around 2021 as well, but was a bit of a late bloomer and came from nowhere, but where are the others?

And then when it comes to second rowers it's even more dire... it was Dfifi and Sua in 2018??, then Riki appeared and filled a void after Dfifi left, but then it's only Piakura since then.... 4x 2nd rowers since like 2018 and now we have 2 across the entire top 30 + development.

What is going on with the production line at the moment

Yeah that's exactly what I'm wondering... where's the production line that we talk about all the time.

And Henry is the exact example I was thinking of after yesterday... a promising young player that comes in eager and provides value when put into the 17, but isnt needed to be there year round (unless they show they can handle it).

I daresay it was going to be Te Kura this year, but is that the end of the production line at the moment??

Willison debuted in 2021 I think, so in regards to middle forwards are we saying that we've found and developed one other middle forward in Te Kura since then?

Kobe came in around 2021 as well, but was a bit of a late bloomer and came from nowhere, but where are the others?

And then when it comes to second rowers it's even more dire... it was Dfifi and Sua in 2018??, then Riki appeared and filled a void after Dfifi left, but then it's only Piakura since then.... 4x 2nd rowers since like 2018 and now we have 2 across the entire top 30 + development.

Teui Robati came after Riki but we all know how that went.

Va'a Semu is the only player that comes to mind, otherwise it appears the cupboard is bare. Players like John Radel, Nathaniel Tangimataiti, Felix Faatili etc. have either had to go elsewhere or have completely dropped off a cliff. Where did it go wrong? Why isn't the system producing more Kobe Hetheringtons?

The crop after that you're looking at Coby Black, Jett Bryce, Beni Allen, Cameron Bukowski, Saxon Innes, Tariq Tanner, Bailey Trew, Israel Leota, Kylem Vunipola. They're all just beginning their NRL development and a few of them likely won't make it far. Of that squad only Bryce and Allen are forwards - where are the rest? Every NSW side has an U/21s squad, if Brisbane had to admit one who'd make the squad? Why aren't these players being conditioned to play the Broncos style and if nothing else help grow the game?

Va'a Semu is the only player that comes to mind, otherwise it appears the cupboard is bare. Players like John Radel, Nathaniel Tangimataiti, Felix Faatili etc. have either had to go elsewhere or have completely dropped off a cliff. Where did it go wrong? Why isn't the system producing more Kobe Hetheringtons?

The crop after that you're looking at Coby Black, Jett Bryce, Beni Allen, Cameron Bukowski, Saxon Innes, Tariq Tanner, Bailey Trew, Israel Leota, Kylem Vunipola. They're all just beginning their NRL development and a few of them likely won't make it far. Of that squad only Bryce and Allen are forwards - where are the rest? Every NSW side has an U/21s squad, if Brisbane had to admit one who'd make the squad? Why aren't these players being conditioned to play the Broncos style and if nothing else help grow the game?

I've always seriously wondered if moving to a feeder club system (instead of the club having all the grades, like NSW clubs do) hinders our development.

I mean are we limited in how many players we can sign outside of our top 30 plus 6 development player rosters?

Seriously, Baker was not a Flegler replacement - That's Willison in my eyes.

Baker has replaced Logan Baylis-Brow in our top 30 roster, 3rd or 4th string behind other middles. Probably wont get another game unless injury.

TC is a good point... I had forgotten about him.

I think the club needs to look at what's happening, because there are examples like Shibasaki who went elsewhere instead of committing to the Broncos.

Even Price when he came off contract... he went to Sydney... did we even look at trying to get him? Is he a failed prospect (I thought there were big raps on him even last year).

Is it a broncos issue or is it a Qcup issue on the back of covid and there's not enough talent being created to sustain 4 qld teams... plus Melbourne and also the Sydney clubs dipping in.

But even then Melbourne appear to have branched out to NSW and NZ in recent times (the QLD contingent they brought through is basically Munster and Harry at the moment... Coates was us).... rorters dumped Ipswich pretty quickly and are dogs still with Toowoomba or was there something last year about them not committing to as many players as was first expected?

Is it a broncos issue or is it a Qcup issue on the back of covid and there's not enough talent being created to sustain 4 qld teams... plus Melbourne and also the Sydney clubs dipping in.
The NSW teams have the advantage of their pathways system. You're not a Penrith player representing Windsor from U/17s --> NSW Cup, you're just Penrith. Brisbane essentially cherry pick the best talents (typically outside of their own catchment), put them in with their affiliate clubs and they'll play alongside players who are contracted to other clubs.

Plus, it's twelve NRL systems vs. four - iron sharpens iron so you're playing a better standard of competition week in week out.

Melbourne are still active in Queensland. It hasn't quite translated into the NRL yet but they have a few junior reps in Hayden Watson and Amare Milford off the top of my head going there. Sydney still get their fair share of Ipswich players as well, pretty sure they have Saifiti Junior Saifiti on their books and he's one of the best outside backs coming through.

Yeah the Bulldogs pulled their support of the Clydesdales, but didn't walk away empty handed and signed Jason Smith's son to a contract. Would have thought Riley Price would have been odds on, but I guess his father and uncle wanted him to be the best he can be. They're still active in Queensland and have signed a quality young front row from Ipswich and they'll continue to be in the market for young talent up here.

South Sydney of course have been very active - Haizyn Mellars, Leon Te Hau, Liam Le Blanc are all on NRL deals and all came from Broncos affiliates. They've also locked down Townsville and Keebra so they have a presence up here.

Not to say the Broncos don't hold their own, but they're not a juggernaut either. They've got some very talented kids, but there's hardly any depth once you get to U/19s --> U/21s.

I seen something recently about Walsh (can't remember what it was) about them recruiting him, he was playing in the halves for Nerang and put him in the system. They pretty much said they recruit players on their ability not the position they play.
If that's the case are the club recruiting young players on their ability and not taking into account their positions. 14 year olds could be big fast forwards but when everyone else catches up in size they move to the outside backs and that's why we're lacking in forwards coming through?

Seriously, Baker was not a Flegler replacement - That's Willison in my eyes.

Baker has replaced Logan Baylis-Brow in our top 30 roster, 3rd or 4th string behind other middles. Probably wont get another game unless injury.
Baker has replaced Palasia contract wise, from Game 1 he was in the team and that is obvious that the plan was to have him as a regular in the 17.

He wouldn't be on big money but either way it's safe to say it's a dud signing.

Baker has replaced Palasia, from Game 1 he was in the team and that is obvious that the plan was to have him as a regular in the 17.

He wouldn't be on big money but either way it's safe to say it's a dud signing.
Yeah, true but the point I was trying to make is, he's now third string to willison, tekura and probably after last game... Marty!

We need to bring back our own standalone Q Cup side!

TC is a good point... I had forgotten about him.

I think the club needs to look at what's happening, because there are examples like Shibasaki who went elsewhere instead of committing to the Broncos.

Even Price when he came off contract... he went to Sydney... did we even look at trying to get him? Is he a failed prospect (I thought there were big raps on him even last year).

But even then Melbourne appear to have branched out to NSW and NZ in recent times (the QLD contingent they brought through is basically Munster and Harry at the moment... Coates was us).... rorters dumped Ipswich pretty quickly and are dogs still with Toowoomba or was there something last year about them not committing to as many players as was first expected?

Roosters are with Ipswich still and I would say nearly every Bronco bar Carrigan and Walters came from Gold Coast or New Zealand and Carrigan was in the Storm academy system first.

I seen something recently about Walsh (can't remember what it was) about them recruiting him, he was playing in the halves for Nerang and put him in the system. They pretty much said they recruit players on their ability not the position they play.
If that's the case are the club recruiting young players on their ability and not taking into account their positions. 14 year olds could be big fast forwards but when everyone else catches up in size they move to the outside backs and that's why we're lacking in forwards coming through?

Yeah Scanlon goes on ability, not looking at position. Just skills. Walsh was 14 but he was the Queensland fullback and captain by U16.

Roosters are with Ipswich still and I would say nearly every Bronco bar Carrigan and Walters came from Gold Coast or New Zealand and Carrigan was in the Storm academy system first.
Crazy how the Brisbane team isn’t getting a good chunk of the Brisbane young talent. I suppose Redcliffe develop a lot of players.

Backs: Coates, Cobbo, Mariner, Leota, Walsh, Trew, Staggs, Farnworth - these are all youngish guys who we’ve developed / are developing

Forwards: Haas, Carrigan, Vaa bros, Te Kura, Flegler, Palasia, Fifita, Su’A, Riki, Piakura, Hetherington, Willison, Bullemor

Spine: Mozer, Simpkin, Black, Dearden, Mam

Then there’s also Collins, Walker, Arrow, Gagai, Shibasaki and so on who’ve come through our system. There’s a batch of young guys under this. Not sure it can really be said we aren’t holding our own.

Not sure it can really be said we aren’t holding our own.
1. You're going all the way to Gagai and throwing in players who were never apart of the Broncos NRL system

2. The point is that they can't afford to lose any of these juniors, otherwise they're relying too heavily on affiliates/bargain buys to fill the void.

Are we seeing the effects of the Phins being in the NRL? I dont think we probably are just yet, but their pathways to become an NRL players are pretty good.

Are we seeing the effects of the Phins being in the NRL? I dont think we probably are just yet, but their pathways to become an NRL players are pretty good.
This current issue extends further than the Dolphins, but we're definitely seeing some ripples early on. The loss of the Norths Devils and Lewis Symonds is an early sign. If the Dolphins can continue to dominate the development pathways, it could get ugly.

Brisbane need to use it to their advantage - iron sharpens iron. If you can keep more quality players up here, it'll ultimately make for better players.

Active Now

• BroncosFan_Corey
  • Muros
  • Bronx48
  • TimWhatley
  • MrMoore
  • Allo
  • Sproj
  • winslow_wong
  • Jason Simmons
  • Dash
  • Wolfie
  • theshed
  • Redux
  • Waynesaurus
  • broncsgoat
  • Mighty Bronx
  • leish107
  • Financeguy
  • Tim K
  • Dexter
... and 19 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.