PLAYER Fletcher Baker

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
Be nice if they could somehow magic Baker and tapau into utoikamanu next year... can dream right?

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
How’s Patston been going @Big Pete

Only saw him briefly in the trials and he looked like there was a bit of something to him.

I know he’s not ours, but we threw him and training deal so it must have been for a reason? Or just a recommendation from Burt?

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
Be nice if they could somehow magic Baker and tapau into utoikamanu next year... can dream right?
All we’ll likely get is a desperate tigers rabble throwing insane cash at Willison or BTK after they lose Uto to Penrith, the rorters, or souths

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
All we’ll likely get is a desperate tigers rabble throwing insane cash at Willison or BTK after they lose Uto to Penrith, the rorters, or souths
Think they have their eyes on the English comp for some reason for forwards

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
How’s Patston been going @Big Pete

Only saw him briefly in the trials and he looked like there was a bit of something to him.

I know he’s not ours, but we threw him and training deal so it must have been for a reason? Or just a recommendation from Burt?
Started the season well and looked like a bolter for the Origin period. He's regressed the past couple of weeks and has been sloppy without making too much of an impact.

I thought he was very impressive during the trials. Probably just lacked the physique to really make a fist this season, but isn't far off either.

He actually spent some time with Melbourne before he went home to Lismore. I'd presume he would have been on the NRL radar and Kev would have wanted to include him if only to have some backrow cover.

Personally, I'd have him in the squad and would be the first player to come in if Riki/Piakura/Gosiewski go down.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I've always seriously wondered if moving to a feeder club system (instead of the club having all the grades, like NSW clubs do) hinders our development.

I mean are we limited in how many players we can sign outside of our top 30 plus 6 development player rosters?
There's pros and cons with the system. If the Broncos were to create their own pathway, they'd have to settle for one suburb as their base and put their own people in charge. After what happened to the Clydesdales, is it worth the investment for the Queensland Cup club? Let alone the Brisbane Broncos? If they made their own club, that's more staff you've got to hire to run the operations - are there enough qualified people out there to make the most of this?

No Under 21s, so are the Broncos going to enter the Jersey Flegg? Will NSW clubs be keen to travel to Brisbane? Would Brisbane have to base that squad in Sydney? That's a lot of money, especially in a more expensive region of Australia. Is it just Under 21s or are we going Under 17s and 19s as well? What about the QCup? Don't you have a commitment to your local region?

The pro is ideally you're developing these players under your own systems, so by the time they hit the NRL they understand their roles and responsibilities for the team. That's still a big if and would require some major co-ordination from the entire club to put it into motion and make it successful.

From my understanding, you're free to sign players on training contracts and give them their 1K a week. I'm not sure how much a Jersey Flegg player makes, would have to imagine it's match payments.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Think they have their eyes on the English comp for some reason for forwards

Dunno Buzz reckoned they were trying to offload several players to Super League without informing the players .
Galvin is asking for a release from his contract again ...

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Utoikamanu wants like 800K a year. Fucking laughable if you ask me. He isn't that good.

NRL 360 did say he'd be prepared to take less in a good system ... The big question is how much less

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
NRL 360 did say he'd be prepared to take less in a good system ... The big question is how much less
Want to be a lot less considering he ran for 41 metres on the weekend for 5 runs. Not exactly screaming pay me big money that is.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
Dunno Buzz reckoned they were trying to offload several players to Super League without informing the players .
Galvin is asking for a release from his contract again ...
Also looking to sign an as of yet un named English forward while he was over there too I thought the story was?

Unread

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.