Football thread 2013/14

Reckon he'll be sacked soon?
Is there any standout candidates to replace him?

He's gone :)

The main candidates for the job are Marcelo Bielsa (former Argentina coach), Ange Postecoglou and of course Guus Hiddink who has said he wants to coach at the world cup.

Thank **** this fucking wanker has finally gone, what a shit decision it was in the first place.

He's gone :)

The main candidates for the job are Marcelo Bielsa (former Argentina coach), Ange Postecoglou and of course Guus Hiddink who has said he wants to coach at the world cup.

Thank **** this fucking wanker has finally gone, what a shit decision it was in the first place.
Who'd be your choice out of the three. Guus Hiddink has been there and done that but do we want the same coach again or do we go for something new?

Keen as **** for Guus to come back. Any of them are fine though. I genuinely think all 3 are great coaches, including Ange.

Guus would be good, but I doubt he'd stick around after the World Cup... so we'd have to look for someone new again.

I reckon Ange is a great shout - he actually tries to play football unlike so many of our previous national managers. Biesla would be ace too. It's nice to be linked to people who we've heard of, who actually have a decent track record. Verbeek and Osieck FFS... what were the FFA thinking!

I agree with penny - would be happy with any of those guys.

I would love to see Bielsa but my issue there would be he is likely to try and change things too much 9 months before a World Cup, he is the type who could bring great change to the way we look at and play the game at our highest level. If you want instant results and a short term tenure then hire Guus, I am all for Bielsa though!

Let's hope a change is made very soon so the next coach start building for the wold cup from now.

Glad I ended up deciding against going to Paris for that. Woeful stuff.

Guus or Ange to take over would be nice, but I still think we'll be embarrassed at the World Cup.

Would love Ange to get it. Would do a great job IMO

It's Ange! :rockon:

Last edited by a moderator:
So pumped for Ange. Unfortunately he can't call up Broich to the national team!

Portugal qualified for the World Cup in Sweden, with a clinic from CR7! :whoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a pity that one of the top 3 footballers in the world had to be eliminated from the World Cup in this match though. Without Ibrahimovic, the competition will be poorer...

Tough group mi amigos!

I'm cool with it though, we've come a long way from playing the likes of Cook Islands and Vanautu.

Any group would've been tough for Australia really, but some are tougher than others, except the Colombia group, which is ridiculous!
Starting against Chile is the best draw, as a result could instill enough confidence in the team to take one of Spain/Netherlands by surprise...

Portugal has a tough group too with Germany, Ghana and the unknown USA, but that is generally a good thing, as it's when they normally achieve the best results.

In terms of our chances it is a bad group but these are the benchmark nations and long term I think it will be good to play them so we can better understand what we need to do to improve. A 6-0 thrashing again will obviously suck but hopefully Ange plays in a way that sets us up for future tournaments as I always thought we were way too negative under Holger.

On a bit of a related note, I'm keen to see how this Daniel De Silva kid goes. He seemed to play okay yesterday, looked to have a few classy touches and the right ideas, though his execution wasn't the best on some of them. He did seem to have something special to him though.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Morkel
  • FACTHUNT
  • Galah
  • Old Mate
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Manofoneway
  • The True King
  • Sproj
  • Battler
  • Mr Fourex
  • Broncosgirl
  • ivanhungryjak
  • MasterWright
  • broncos4life
  • winslow_wong
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Fitzy
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.