Game II Queensland Origin Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
So basically as it stands, these are the lock ins, (with the undecideds in brackets, bear in mind though that guys like Boyd and Gagai will be in the team, just a question of where) fill in the blanks:

1. (Boyd/Slater/Holmes)
2. Oates
3. Chambers
4. (O'Neill/Munster/Gagai/Moga/Boyd)
5. (Gagai/Boyd/Leutele/MacDonald)
6. JT (Milford if he is unfit)
7. Cronk
8. Napa
9. Smith
10. (Myles/McGuire/Wallace/Lillyman)
11. (Papalii/Guerra/Lowe/Cooper/other)
12. Gillett
13. (McGuire/Papalii/Guerra/other)

14. (Milford/Morgan/Munster/other)
15. Thaiday
16. (Wallace/Lillyman/Sims/Myles/other)
17. (Hess/Guerra/Sims/Lowe/Bolton/Other)

I think it's probably time to be realistic, we were soundly beaten at home and when you look for options for Game II, we arguably just don't have the firepower, especially in the Forwards, to really get ourselves back in the series this year. I'm not suggesting throwing in the towel by any stretch, but even if we jag a game this year with Myles and Lillyman etc in the squad we'll still have lost the series and it won't be those guys that do the job for us next year or the year after either way.

With that in mind, I'm advocating that we try and put up a fight using the guys that are likely to be part of our setup in the long run, with one exception. I think Billy Slater provides a massive morale boost, especially for the young guys and a level of uncertainty in the minds of NSW, and it's important that we get as much out of the star players we still have left this year as possible, especially in a backline pretty thin on star players.

With that in mind I'd select the following:

1. Slater
2. Oates
3. Chambers
4. Gagai
5. Boyd
6. Thurston/Milford (fitness pending obviously)
7. Cronk
8. Napa
9. Smith
10. Wallace
11. Lowe
12. Gillett
13. McGuire

14. Morgan
15. Hess
16. Papalli
17. Thaiday

If we really don't go down the path of Slater, then I'm strongly advocating playing Chambers or Holmes on either the Wing or in the Centres depending on where they decide to play Gagai who is our form outside back currently.

I think that starting pack is one that we can get real longevity out of, and add to that the fact that next year we get Matt Scott back and hopefully still at his best, he could easily squeeze another year out of his rep career and really help bring out the best in the likes of Napa and Wallace and Hess etc.

I also think it's important to get a read on Cronk and JT around their plans for next year, I'm hopeful we can squeeze one more year out of both of them to give the likes of Milford and even Ash Taylor some more time to hone their skills but I'd be bringing some of those guys into camp as soon as possible because all three Queensland playmakers are on the cusp of retirement and our next generation need to learn everything they can while the older guys are still around

I like Papalii on the bench, he's a gun who can start for sure but he just provides so much impact off the bench. I reckon replace Hess with Sims on that bench and it suddenly looks far more imposing than game 1. I also don't think Lowe would look out of place in a maroon jersey.

On a side note, it's interesting that since basically the early 2000's Queensland have always had probably the best two or three Props in the game, From Webcke, Price, Petero, Scott, Hannant and Myles, and all of a sudden we've been so badly exposed as probably not having a single Prop available who would crack the current NSW side. It's so dire that NSW have left out players like Vaughn and Ryan James who would arguably get a walk up start for Queensland.

I'm not sure where it's gone wrong, and you could argue that maybe the Broncos have a part to play in this as it's been a long time since we've developed a world class Front Rower by our usual standards, but someone needs to look into this urgently and start looking for solutions. There is plenty of young talent around but it takes something special to make it as an elite Front Rower and we urgently need to find a way to bring the best out in the guys we have coming through

Stop buying the hype ! He has potential but he HASN'T been dominating anything yet. He's had a couple decent games and he's been identified as being an Origin type but really, in time in time !

He has dominated though. Has scored 13 tries in 20 games which means he has been extremely hard to handle. Most of the tries he has scored have involved him running over the top of multiple defenders to score. He is one of the strongest young forwards I have seen. A genetic freak.

On a side note, it's interesting that since basically the early 2000's Queensland have always had probably the best two or three Props in the game, From Webcke, Price, Petero, Scott, Hannant and Myles, and all of a sudden we've been so badly exposed as probably not having a single Prop available who would crack the current NSW side. It's so dire that NSW have left out players like Vaughn and Ryan James who would arguably get a walk up start for Queensland.

I'm not sure where it's gone wrong, and you could argue that maybe the Broncos have a part to play in this as it's been a long time since we've developed a world class Front Rower by our usual standards, but someone needs to look into this urgently and start looking for solutions. There is plenty of young talent around but it takes something special to make it as an elite Front Rower and we urgently need to find a way to bring the best out in the guys we have coming through
Definite shortage of genuine rep quality players for Queensland, other than ones already discussed. A quick peruse of the Qld eligible players on the QRL website is pretty dire reading TBH. http://www.qrl.com.au/state-of-origin/eligible-players.htm
A couple not really in discussion for some reason are Felise Kaufusi, and Chris Grevshmul. Is he just injured or still in limbo about playing NRL. Kaufusi is also a big body and was playing good footy and decent minutes for Storm early on. Backs are slim too, but if Justin Oneill can play for Australia, maybe Ricky Leutele needs closer looking... genuine left centre, defends well, can score, and sets up his winger well. He's played good footy for a few seasons now, but for some reason, he doesn't even crack the emerging squad.

13. Josh Papalli

You really do take away the best part of Papalii's game by moving him to lock.

I think if anyone else was going to be moved to lock, it has to be Gillett.

He looked like he was basically playing as a lock on the left side anyway on Wednesday.

Big bodies off loading was our weakness .
Myles is a very effective tackler , doesn`t offer enough in attack . I don`t remember one off load by our forwards ??

Papalii threw a couple in the first half and looked threatening everytime he had the ball.

I thought he was one of the best players on the field, even in a well beaten side.

I al
Definite shortage of genuine rep quality players for Queensland, other than ones already discussed. A quick peruse of the Qld eligible players on the QRL website is pretty dire reading TBH. http://www.qrl.com.au/state-of-origin/eligible-players.htm
A couple not really in discussion for some reason are Felise Kaufusi, and Chris Grevshmul. Is he just injured or still in limbo about playing NRL. Kaufusi is also a big body and was playing good footy and decent minutes for Storm early on. Backs are slim too, but if Justin Oneill can play for Australia, maybe Ricky Leutele needs closer looking... genuine left centre, defends well, can score, and sets up his winger well. He's played good footy for a few seasons now, but for some reason, he doesn't even crack the emerging squad.

I already posted my team for O2 with F Kafusi in the second row...definitely in my discussion !

Why not Morgan into lock, very capable, big enough, proven....Ben Hunt to bench

Why not Morgan into lock, very capable, big enough, proven....Ben Hunt to bench
I don't think he is big enough against the enormous NSW pack.

Why the **** would Ben Hunt get a bench spot??

Big bodies off loading was our weakness .
Myles is a very effective tackler , doesn`t offer enough in attack . I don`t remember one off load by our forwards ??
Was a very effective tackler. He's been a fine servant for the Maroons but he is cooked

I think it's time for Corey Oates to move into second row, for Queensland and Brisbane. Brisbane need that option as I'm not happy with Glenn or Thaiday anymore, and Queensland need a big ass body to match it with there big bodies. Wouldn't be against him on the bench for Queensland this year and doing the full position swap to the forwards next year.

I think it's time for Corey Oates to move into second row, for Queensland and Brisbane. Brisbane need that option as I'm not happy with Glenn or Thaiday anymore, and Queensland need a big ass body to match it with there big bodies. Wouldn't be against him on the bench for Queensland this year and doing the full position swap to the forwards next year.

Oates is not an origin-quality second row. He would need to prove he can do that for the Broncos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.