Game Two

Discussion in 'State of Origin 2015' started by morganmorgan, May 28, 2015.

1. abashii

abashii NRL Player

Putting Gagai in the centres would be pretty bad imo. Remember how easily Oates run over the top of him? The blues will too.

2. Sproj

Sproj

I post Oates in my team every time I name one. Can you imagine NSW looking up and seeing Inglis and Oates running at them down the left? They would not attack that side all night. Put a good tackling half in for DCE (Cronk or Hunt) and the left closes too. The only way NSW can go is through the middle and boom, their whole effective game plan is wrecked.

3. I think it'd be more risky putting him on the wing, I feel reasonably safe with Chambers on the wing (Even though he did **** us pretty bad last night with that error)

If worst comes to worst Darius can switch with him in defence and defend in the centres or something, but I think he'll do alright.

Until Gagai has a semblance of a defense ability, keep him out of Origin please!

Sproj likes this.
  4. mieko

mieko QCup Player

Was a good game and hurts me to say that I think the better team won on the night. Yeah there were some dodgy calls (both ways) but normally we rise above it and come out on top, unfortunately not this game. As most have said, DCE was pretty ordinary. Just had no confidence and looked well out of place, how many times does he get caught with the ball. Good league players all have the one main trait and that's adaptability. If there rushing up in your face quick, you stand deeper. If they are constantly coming in fast at the angle, stand wider, or step then kick not just rush the kick. Anyway, he'll be there game 3 if fit (and Cronk still out??) though Hunt must be knocking/banging on the door now.

Parker was just massive as usual be it club or rep footy, McGuire stood up and played a tough game as did Guerra though Hodges, well he had a shocker. Got a massive lesson from Jennings, his defense was just non existent just like his attack. Also his dummy running is getting tiresome. Yeah do it two or three times but not literally every time, it's just so well known. Two steps to the side then try to push thru two markers, **** just stay out in the centres and use that massive step to get on the outside or at least get the arms free to set up your winger which you do so well. Will prob miss a game or two now anyway!!

anyway, tough game and the decider will be huge. Couldn't bear to see Gallen lift the trophy at Suncorp...again.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  5. If DCE is the long term replacement for Cronk in the halves, fair enough, but he is not an adequate injury replacement for Cronk. 2 completely different styles of player and DCE is never going to fit into a defensive/attacking structure based around the playing style of Cronk. Hunt is far more similar to Cronk (plays direct) and should have been either the starting 7 or the 14 in place of Morgan.

On the Pearce no try.....did anyone else see him after it was ruled a no try? On the first or second play from the restart, with a facial expression that would have mad angry cat proud, he tried to put a full body hit on someone and bounced off. Was gold.

6. 1910

1910 State of Origin Rep

Queensland were clunky and dis-jointed in attack, passive and allowed soft tries in defence.

DCE was ineffective in attack but got through a mountain of defence very effectively which was clearly their plan. Tough week for him, funeral on Monday and it just didn't come off last night.

It is very hard for a seven to come into a side and use a style based on another seven. Tough gig and his across field runs seem to crowd the players.

Queensland didn't execute their plan well, it was always, feet and angled runs and they just couldn't get it smoothly running. Telling that Parker was the only forward to break a decent amount of metres.

New South Wales the better side.

I thought the moment they took the two points was telling also, not sure in years past they would have and both Smith and Jono pointed straight at the posts.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  7. ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak NRL Captain

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. Alec

Alec International Rep

That's pretty funny actually.

9. Cult3

Cult3 State of Origin Captain

He made a lot if ineffective tackles where they carried him another 5 metres or offloaded it. He may have been involved in a lot of tackles but his one on one defense was far from effective.

10. Highlights of Game 2.

I decided to do the video differently this time.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2016
  11. Considering the Maroons were trying to play the Blues around the ruck, I found it odd that they didn't utilise more inside passes and so on.

I don't think Gillett's try was a fluke. First off, it's a credit to Gillett and I hope Wayne was paying attention because that's how he's got to be utilised. On the other hand, the Blues didn't know how to deal with that change of angle and it clearly unsettled them more than just the one out running the Maroons opted for.

Plenty of improvement left in the Maroons and if Cronk returns, it will be enough to get the Maroons over the line.

12. 1910

1910 State of Origin Rep

That's a result though of having to make so many tackles; a little guy making 30 tackles will always result in offloads and extra metres. Hoffman flogged him.

DCE made 12 more tackles than Cronk in game 1 and DCE only handled the ball 25 times- Cronk 53.

13. 1910

1910 State of Origin Rep

You're right, it was rehearsed and spoken about; it was the plan all week. Just didn't come off with enough fluency on the night.

14. Morkel

Morkel

He was ineffective from his early tackles. Can't blame fatigue on your 4th and 5th tackle of the night.

Cult3 likes this.
  15. Cult3

That's a problem then. He isn't fit to play Origin in that case because no matter where he is on the field they'll always target him and he doesn't have a Tonie Carroll out there protecting him.

One thing that annoyed me about him was the set after Thurston got crunched. Thurston got the ball and you could tell he was nervous and kicked it out on the full. That is when DCE needed to put his hand up and get involved, not by running sideways. If he was ever going to step up in the Origin arena, that was the time.

16. Sproj

Sproj

DCE has been rubbish every rep he has played except one Aussie game where he was motm against Antarctica I think. The comparisons with Pearce are more than apt. Because you know, picking Pearce has worked out so well for NSW, let's copy it. Ben Hunt is our Adam Reynolds - a better option just won't get picked.

Cult3 likes this.
  17. Cult3

That Antarctica team was missing their star halfback and their hooker was carrying a shoulder injury.

18. Sproj

Sproj

To be fair, their home games are pretty brutal, they play on ice. Lucky there aren't more injuries.

19. Cult3

Still better than playing at Brookvale. Unfortunately it's impossible to give them any home day games during the Winter months.

Sproj likes this.