General Ben Barba discussion

Re: Ben Barba stood down

People love drama, even if they are against what that drama involves.

I think the reason people keep jumping to assault is that this all doesn't add up, so people think there must be more to it. I mean we are only going to know what the club tell us and while I do not think at all that he has assaulted her or anything, I am sure there is more to it than gambling/drinking. I don't know what it is and as people have said speculating doesn't help, but something doesnt add up. I mean if it is just mental health issues he needs help with they would have just given him an indefinite leave of absence or faked an injury (if it wasn't expected to be too long). If the facts are all that they say they are I really can't see why they had to 'suspend' him and go into detail that it came very close to termination of contract. I mean Greenberg would have us believe that the conversation went like this.

Barba: "I'm really struggling at the moment with a whole heap of issues and my life is out of control, I want to talk about stepping down for a time period so I can sort things out and can eventually give my all to the club"
Greenberg: Well I think me may have to terminate your contract.... but I'm feeling especially generous and am only going to suspend you for having the guts to come and tell me you are having personal problems"

I don't know about you but it doesn't add up to me.

I have stayed away from this thread, because I know all too well how easy it is to underestimate depression and its consequences.

We can speculate all we want, but without facts we can only assume that the matter(s) are serious enough to warrant suspending the "brightest light" in the game currently, and reading between the lines of Greenberg's statements, it would probably have resulted in termination with any other player.
At this level, only 3 things come to mind that warrant such drastic action: Violence, Drugs, Gambling or a combination of these.

Depression rarely leads to violence against others, but it does lead to a careless attitude towards pretty much everything, especially self-preservation, and is a gateway for addiction, be it alcohol, drugs or gambling, as these serve to "numb" whatever reasons are causing the depression.
If it is depression and he has indeed recognised he needs help, he has taken the most important step towards recovery, in which case I commend the Bulldogs for deciding to help him and wish him the best.

But this could just as well be another stupid idiot footballer who lost his family because he is incapable of rational thinking and/or behavior, in which case I would say he deserves all he's getting and more!

Looks like Barba is coming back at Easter to play against Souths.

Storm have said, they are preparing for him to play next week.

It was a great recovery from him regarding his gambling etc. He was in rehab for a week. :001_rolleyes:

I'm very impressed that they managed to cure depression and a gambling addiction in just a couple of weeks!

And bipolar, sounds like a good facility.

Called it. Lost a game and they had him back at training.

The most exciting player of the 2012 season, great to have him back on board.

i said 1-2 games max, wasnt far off. i wouldnt be surprised to see him line up this weekend.

Good too see him get back on his feet.

What did I tell you guys yesterday about Barba / Pritchard :winky:

Problem is Pritchard is off contract and likely to leave the Bulldogs anyway so would that feud matter? Obviously if it is with Inu and Kasiano as well it could be trouble.

Problem is Pritchard is off contract and likely to leave the Bulldogs anyway so would that feud matter? Obviously if it is with Inu and Kasiano as well it could be trouble.
Pritchard is mates with all the kiwi boys, there's a lot of them in the Bulldogs squad. Imagine going to work when a quarter of the place doesn't like you and you're already suffering problems in your personal life.

From what I hear, half the reason the Bulldogs weren't keen on offering Pritchard a new contract was because of the Barba/Pritchard thing but also because they want to keep a couple of their young forwards instead.

What did I tell you guys yesterday about Barba / Pritchard

The Kennel delete your posts if you talk about it.

I just posted a link to Vossy's twitter & my post is gone. :sad:

Haven't been on the Kennel in years. I'm BHQ only haha.

RE: Ben Barba stood down

I'm a fan of both Farah and SBW but not enough to join the forum.. Now if SBW joined the Tigers...

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • achievedrap
  • Harry Sack
  • Mick_Hancock
  • ChewThePhatt
  • ezpz
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Browny
  • Lozza
  • Foordy
  • Sproj
  • Brocko
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Jazza
  • Manofoneway
  • Broncosgirl
  • RolledOates
  • Broncorob
  • Ozired
  • TimWhatley
... and 19 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.