Gold Coast Titans Discussion

What was the true story behind each professional signing? First the Titans and then Souths?

I was just reading about the team Holbrook inherited and it's a bangup job he's doing! Lost a great player as well so really starting from square one. How many cheap players can Holbrook buy? What's left in the budget?

Some here may know more about the Arrow signing than myself. Came down for an opportunity to start I believe and probably a bigger contract too.

Souths signing was very much because his girlfriend would have more opportunity modelling down in Sydney supposedly. I think we also offered slightly less than Souths with 700k instead of 800k a year from all reports. In my books, Souths are paying overs and I am happy we didn't go overboard there as this year he probably hasn't even looked like our 700k offer.

Courier mail just did one of the laziest articles I have ever seen:
GONE
Leilani Latu (Warrington)
Kallum Watkins (Toronto)
Shannon Boyd (retired)

GOING
Jai Arrow (South Sydney)
Ryan James (Canberra)
Bryce Cartwright
Nathan Peats
Tyrone Roberts
Dale Copley

IN LIMBO
Kevin Proctor
Keegan Hipgrave
Sam Stone

COMING
David Fifita (Brisbane)
Tino Fa'asuamaleaui (Melbourne)
Herman Ese'ese (Newcastle)
This years signings being: Jaimin Jolliffe (Newtown Jets), Beau Fermor (Knights), Jonus Pearson (Dragons), Darius Farmer (upgraded from development deal), Greg Leleisiuao (Eels), Sam Lisone (Warriors), Erin Clark (Raiders), Corey Thompson (Tigers).

With the exception of Farmer and Leleisiuao (went to Eels briefly) who are both juniors and still being developed, the rest have all provided brilliant depth throughout the year. Still as yet unsold on Pearson and perhaps Erin Clark, but I believe the astute cheap signings have been one of Holbrook's biggest achievements since joining. After seeing all the Penrith flops Garth brought in on big money, players like Jolliffe, Fermor, Lisone and Thompson have all pretty much established themselves in the 17 on peanuts. To answer your last couple of questions, I do believe they have still got money (~1M), and frontloading Fifita's contract slightly was due to the poor quality of the current off contract list. Smart decision. Holbrook has said with the uncertainty around squad number and salary cap next year, we aren't currently close to signing anyone but a hooker and then right centre would seem to be the priorities.

Last edited:
I’m amazed there’s such deep discussion about the Gold Coast titans here.

Don't see many clubs that would want Cartwright, surely they're carrying his wages next season?

I thought there was a big song and dance about Souths having to prove Sam Burgess was a medical retirement before the NRL cleared him off their cap. The Shannon Boyd situation seems very odd to say the least.

Don't see many clubs that would want Cartwright, surely they're carrying his wages next season?

I thought there was a big song and dance about Souths having to prove Sam Burgess was a medical retirement before the NRL cleared him off their cap. The Shannon Boyd situation seems very odd to say the least.

Cartwright decided to go back to Sydney. Shannon Boyd is less clear. Sometimes reached an agreement was sprouted and sometimes he just retired. Hard to tell.

Cartwright decided to go back to Sydney. Shannon Boyd is less clear. Sometimes reached an agreement was sprouted and sometimes he just retired. Hard to tell.

Wouldn't Cartwright need another club to sign him though?

I'd imagine he's still got pay cheques coming from the Titans unless there's some mutual agreement to terminate or suspend his contract and he's down there with no income...

Wouldn't Cartwright need another club to sign him though?

I'd imagine he's still got pay cheques coming from the Titans unless there's some mutual agreement to terminate or suspend his contract and he's down there with no income...

I don't see why he can't be terminated for not being with the team for a couple of months now. Word was he was also asking for a release a while ago but never anything on whether he got one.

I don't see why he can't be terminated for not being with the team for a couple of months now. Word was he was also asking for a release a while ago but never anything on whether he got one.
If a player requests the release then it's all good to come off the cap.

@The Don what is a pass mark for you guys for next year, finishing 5-8?

Fair enough, have to wonder where his head space is at to happily walk away from 600k with no guarantee of an income next season at only 25yo.

Not many clubs in Sydney needing an edge back-rower let alone many that would risk paying half of what he's currently on.

@The Don what is a pass mark for you guys for next year, finishing 5-8?

Being cautious, I would say given we don't have anything nearing an elite hooker currently and centre depth being pretty weak, 9th/10th would probably be a pass with top 8 obviously being the goal. Given Holbrook has performance clauses in his contract from I assume 2022, I would say top 8 would be expected from then on.

Kelly being out this week I assume really scares me because the depth there is so poor with many fans not even seeing Young T at the other side of the field bringing much yet. Combine that with Rein and Clark being reserve grade hookers at any other club and I don't want to be too optimistic just yet. We bring in a quality hooker over the off season I will probably say top 8 no doubt.

Sorry won't let me edit but above assumes the competition is competitive, if it is similar to this year 5-8 for sure. I can't see us being any weaker than the Knights and Sharks have been at stages this year.

Bizarre isn’t it.
It's more about the gauging and understanding the strength of rugby league in the south east of Queensland. If both the Titans and Broncos are big in the news in a favourable way then queensland rugby league has a respected and powerful voice. Big crowds at both venues is a good thing.

I'm interested in knowing the strength of the Titans roster to properly assess the coaches progress. Never know, he might be our next coach after the next.

Rumour is Titans are sniffing around.

Not sure how they could possibly afford yet another high-priced signing...
I reckon they can afford him, I am just not sure he is someone we need. Hooker and centre are our weak spots. Probably just linking because we are in the general area.

I reckon they can afford him, I am just not sure he is someone we need. Hooker and centre are our weak spots. Probably just linking because we are in the general area.
They can’t afford an 800k player... they’re not getting much or any salary cap relief from Shannon Boyd retiring and I am pretty sure Ryan james wasn’t off contract... they also have a few players that are being overpaid that nobody wants

They can’t afford an 800k player... they’re not getting much or any salary cap relief from Shannon Boyd retiring and I am pretty sure Ryan james wasn’t off contract... they also have a few players that are being overpaid that nobody wants

James was off contract and Boyd was granted a release as reported on NRL.com. The only overpaid ones left would be Ash and possibly Wallace on 600k which is barely a salary cap killer. I won't go into too much detail as I have posted it somewhere else before but we have literally got rid of over 4M of cap space this year and signed just over 2M to come in. I repeat we are not struggling for cap space. Only reason we wouldn't have a go is we already have a fairly strong forward rotation and our weaknesses are elsewhere. Obviously some of that cap might also be needed for upgrades and a salary cap decrease is also a possibility.

As much as I would usually love to have him at the Titans if he comes to QLD I would have money on it being the Broncos. Not because we don't have the money but because he isn't what we lack and hence wouldn't bring as much value as a strike centre or elite hooker. Hope you get him.

Active Now

• Alec
  • Hurrijo
  • Broncs1459
  • bb_gun
  • Midean
  • Sproj
  • Broncorob
  • bazza
  • Browny
  • Foordy
  • Broncosgirl
  • The True King
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.