Gold Coast Titans Discussion

My concerns with a Redcliffe NRL team is it’s potential supporter base. Sure it’s a well administrated club. But will it rebrand or maintain its Redcliffe Dolphins name? How will this brand attract a new supporter base large enough to make it a successful NRL club? What catchment will it target or will it be a surrogate Sunshine Coast team? Or will it just be relying on attracting a wider disaffected broncos audience. I think it could be difficult to get enough bye in from south of the river to make it a sustainable Brisbane franchise.

My concerns with a Redcliffe NRL team is it’s potential supporter base. Sure it’s a well administrated club. But will it rebrand or maintain its Redcliffe Dolphins name? How will this brand attract a new supporter base large enough to make it a successful NRL club? What catchment will it target or will it be a surrogate Sunshine Coast team? Or will it just be relying on attracting a wider disaffected broncos audience. I think it could be difficult to get enough bye in from south of the river to make it a sustainable Brisbane franchise.

It shouldn't be a Brisbane team, this would just be repeating the mistakes of the Sydney-saturation. A team needs its own area and its own identity. Besides, the Dolphins already have more supporters than most Sydney clubs even if they have only 2000 of them.

I dont really see why a team on the North side of Brisbane would be concerned about getting in fans from the south side of Brisbane. The Dolphins wont have any dramas in getting fans through the doors. In terms of their catchment, are you talking about players or fans? Dolphins have an excellent junior setup to provide them with good young players.

I feel as though I called it correctly very early on in the season when I wrote that I could see the first signs of structure and that had to be down to the Coach. That second half tonight was excellent and shows that even without superstars, a well rehearsed and structured team can perform very well.

The Titans got their man with Holbrook and I'm guessing he'd be feeling semi-satisfied. Not quite but almost type of thing. Arrow I feel sure would have regrets. I hope we finish higher than the Titans next year because it would mean top eight for sure.

Idk arrow is going to south's right? Wouldn't feel too bad

For me one of the biggest stories of their season is the emergence of Fogarty.

Gets a debut for the club in 2017 and then drifts off into QCup wilderness for a couple years then just pops up with a sublime year and is now captain after 20 games in the NRL. Obviously as a half a fair bit of that comes down to maturity (he's 27) but Holbrook deserves credit for identifying him as the exact halves partner that Taylor needed when it would have been really easy to stick with Tyrone Roberts or move Brimson into 5/8 once Thompson joined the club.

Cartwright aside, basically every member of their side has improved this season or at the very least shown glimpses of their best footy and that's a credit to Holbrook.

My suspicion is that they're going to miss Arrow at alot less than we expected.

For me one of the biggest stories of their season is the emergence of Fogarty.

Gets a debut for the club in 2017 and then drifts off into QCup wilderness for a couple years then just pops up with a sublime year and is now captain after 20 games in the NRL. Obviously as a half a fair bit of that comes down to maturity (he's 27) but Holbrook deserves credit for identifying him as the exact halves partner that Taylor needed when it would have been really easy to stick with Tyrone Roberts or move Brimson into 5/8 once Thompson joined the club.

Cartwright aside, basically every member of their side has improved this season or at the very least shown glimpses of their best footy and that's a credit to Holbrook.

My suspicion is that they're going to miss Arrow at alot less than we expected.

Agree with everything you said here and I won't hold Cartwright against any coach, the guy seems uncoachable, total waste of talent.

If the Broncos aren’t gonna sort out the mess left behind by Pies & White, we are gonna look like the “Boomers” of the NRL next year.

Of course you're right but many on here simply struggle to see things as they are. I wasn't perturbed in any sense by the Croft signing simply because it was a cheap outlay. It's not as if it cost us three average players. It was a punt that hasn't paid off...yet. I still think that a solid season of Intrust for Brody will maximize our return on investment.

Croft has already played a season of ISC.

Croft played 38 ISC games
20 tries, 34 goals, 4 field goals- 152 points.

Last edited:
If the Broncos aren’t gonna sort out the mess left behind by Pies & White, we are gonna look like the “Boomers” of the NRL next year.
More like the Zoomers, with Boyd retiring and possibly a couple of other players at or above 25 leaving, the average age will be like 17.

Sorry, I missed your point here. Not sure what you are trying to say. Nothing I wrote indicated I didn't know he'd played ISC. My view is that Croft would benefit from a season OR two of ISC in the future. I believe he may be a later bloomer. It matters not that he has played ISC and NRL in the past.
Croft has already played a season of ISC.

Croft played 38 ISC games
20 tries, 34 goals, 4 field goals- 152 points.

Sorry, I missed your point here. Not sure what you are trying to say. Nothing I wrote indicated I didn't know he'd played ISC. My view is that Croft would benefit from ANOTHER season OR two of ISC in the future. I believe he may be a later bloomer. It matters not that he has played ISC and NRL in the past.

Ambiguity fixed! :)

Sorry, I missed your point here. Not sure what you are trying to say. Nothing I wrote indicated I didn't know he'd played ISC. My view is that Croft would benefit from a season OR two of ISC in the future. I believe he may be a later bloomer. It matters not that he has played ISC and NRL in the past.

You said a season of ISC would help, he's done that- as I pointed out. I don't think you did know he'd played ISC. Otherwise you'd say more ISC.

Why would he benefit from more? If you have already played 38 and 53 NRL games, what good is another 20 ISC games going to do? I can't see any positive from more ISC games.

Last edited:
You said a season of ISC would help, he's done that- as I pointed out. I don't think you did know he'd played ISC. Otherwise you'd say more ISC.

Why would he benefit from more? If you have already played 38 and 53 NRL games, what good is another 20 ISC games going to do? I can't see any positive from more ISC games.
That's okay. If you cannot see a benefit that's fine. For me though I can. Not sure how you deduce that I wasn't aware of Croft's history simply because I didn't write 'another' or 'more'. Whatever I suppose.

For those out there that need some perspective on Holbrook this is worth considering.
Since the Covid break after two rounds the Broncos were 2 and 0, the Titans 0 and 2.
In the remaining games the Broncos are 1 and 17, the Titans? 9 and 9.

Last season the Broncos finished 8th.
Last season the Titans finished last. 16th.

This shortened season with 4 fewer games the Titans finish 9th
Broncos finish last. 16th.

Quite a reversal. Holbrook runner up to Cleary for Dally M Coach of the year?

For those out there that need some perspective on Holbrook this is worth considering.
Since the Covid break after two rounds the Broncos were 2 and 0, the Titans 0 and 2.
In the remaining games the Broncos are 1 and 17, the Titans? 9 and 9.

Last season the Broncos finished 8th.
Last season the Titans finished last. 16th.

This shortened season with 4 fewer games the Titans finish 9th
Broncos finish last. 16th.

Quite a reversal. Holbrook runner up to Cleary for Dally M Coach of the year?

Payten wins it in my opinion and then Cleary, then Holbrook. Impressive top 3 indeed.

Holbrooks test will be next year when the titans are on everyone’s raidar. Even when the broncos are trash no one takes them lightly, they all want to flog us.

From what I’ve seen he looks good

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • bert_lifts
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.