Gorden Tallis rips into the Brisbane Broncos

The only decent team we beat this year were the Cowboys....

and that was before they found good form.

standard griffin dribble.

we were barely even getting over the top of the teams below us in the comp, and we're 13th. seriously. if htey cannot see this in the season review then we are in a bad way for 2014. barba wont fix it

"We will look at everything. It is a knife edge. If we won a couple of close games that we were involved in we would be talking about next week's finals.
That bold part really shits me to no end. It should never ever be part of a season review, much less used as an excuse to what the Broncos dished out.

I accept the old cliché about the players commitment, because outside of a few exceptions, they never capitulated the way they did under Henjak, and if anything, it should actually ring alarm bells to how badly they are utilised and coached!

We have a spine problem, but otherwise a very good roster of players who have always put in 100% effort (okay, not all of them, but most), yet we are pretty much equal worst with Paramatta in terms of defence stats (we obviously do scramble and defend our line better than them). What does that say about the coaching staff?

The strange thing is, the Broncos apparently spent the bulk of the off-season working on their defence. I remember on FoxSports' SummerTime it was the main aspect of their training that they highlighted yet it's never been worse.

I do believe apart of that has to do with Prince's selection. He's been an easy target for opposition sides and when you can earn a quick play the ball just by shifting it right, it does have a psychological impact on the players but there have been deficiencies in other areas too.

Nobody will have the time but just sit down and watch how Manly defend and then watch the Broncos. To illustrate my point, Manly typically have their first guy go low and then have two guys go high, control the player and roll him onto his back ensuring the win the physical contest. It's been that way since they played us in Round 1 and made a huge difference.

Fix those and fix the 1 percenters and it will go a long way to getting us to the finals.

Premiership contendership on the other hand is a completely different story.

I guess what really upsets me as a supporter is that we are never listened to. Most clubs have a membership meeting where the members get to contribute to the running the club. I understand Griffin has many more years of experience than I in player development and he has many scouts, but seriously! How do we miss someone like DCE, Barba, etc. I was calling for Barba to come to the Bronx back when he was a back-up half and Lockyer was still playing, and I have no coaching experience.

Also, a lot of people wish we had Bennett back, I wish we had Cyril Connell back. We need better scouts.

Running at Prince was/is an easy and obvious thing to do. He always jumped up to tackle ,utterly refusing to hit with a shoulder , most bigger guys simply planted a hand on his chest and either carried him or pushed him off. An earlier poster mentioned Manlys tendency to get a player in low first and this is what I would be training the players to do.

I noticed no real reference on NRL 360 to WB, perhaps at his son in laws insistence. Although they mentioned the 'Back to the Future' newspaper article in passing there was no talk of WB returning in an overseer role. Although these shows are supposed to give us some insight it is obvious the panelists ( Tallis and Walters especially ) are keeping their real thoughts very private. It seems its up to us to read between the lines.

Kevvie looks very keen to coach there but is hoping to get a gig anywhere he can. He certainly hopes the Cows come through by the sound of it. My hope is that Griffin moves on and ,nice bloke that he is, his time is up. He has had ample opportunity and the team he wanted. He has no excuse, none. Injuries occur at every club. Our best moments in 2013 were unstructured and opportunistic, nothing to do with Griffin. Time for change.

Wasn't Tallis a board member at the Cowboys for a brief period of time and was part of the group that chose Neil Henry over Bennett as Cowboys coach?

That bold part really shits me to no end. It should never ever be part of a season review, much less used as an excuse to what the Broncos dished out.

I accept the old cliché about the players commitment, because outside of a few exceptions, they never capitulated the way they did under Henjak, and if anything, it should actually ring alarm bells to how badly they are utilised and coached!

We have a spine problem, but otherwise a very good roster of players who have always put in 100% effort (okay, not all of them, but most), yet we are pretty much equal worst with Paramatta in terms of defence stats (we obviously do scramble and defend our line better than them). What does that say about the coaching staff?

Agree Porthoz, that comment stood out to me as well and annoyed me.

I hate the excuse that if we had have won a few of the tight games we would be talking about finals. It works both ways, if we lost a few of the close games we won (Cowboys and Tigers spring to mind) Griffin might have been out of a job already.

Someone was really allowed to criticise the Broncos on the 'Sports Today' show on 4bc ? I'm surprised the host and #1 'cheerleader' Salter P'Peters didn't hit the "mute" button and terminate the interview immediately ...

Yes, he will never be accused of being a hard hitting journo and never lets his callers say anything negative about the Broncos. He really can't afford to be, he has Hook in a weekly slot and he MC"'s a few Bronco events, so it is in his best interests to be their #1 cheerleader. He hosts a good show though especially when Mike Colman joins him, Mike is certainly no cheerleader and he sees the Broncos situation like most sound minded individuals do, as one big mess.

No point working on your defence if you don't have the fitness to keep it up.

First guy to go is our conditioning coach IMO, followed by our D coach.....although I will say, we slide extremely well, we're just way too soft in the middle.

although I will say, we slide extremely well, we're just way too soft in the middle.

get our bench rotations right and i don't think it would be as big of a problem. when you got guys like thaiday playing 80 mins and visibly too BUGGERED to make a proper effort at a tackle, of course you're going to leave holes up the middle.

I would actually love hook to be a defensive assistant coach. Remember how good our defence was last year when that was the only thing hook coached them. Attacking structure what is that?

get our bench rotations right and i don't think it would be as big of a problem. when you got guys like thaiday playing 80 mins and visibly too BUGGERED to make a proper effort at a tackle, of course you're going to leave holes up the middle.

100%

His use of the bench is nothing short of perplexing. He has a love of bigger players but doesn't seem to understand that those types of players can't play the longer minutes. Burgess etc are anomalies.

Always amuses me when former greats of a club just take potshots from a distance. Especially when they are making Captain Obvious comments like Tallis has. He has been doing this since Henjak was coach by the way.

If the club could see the flamin obvious, former greats wouldn't have to point it out

I would actually love hook to be a defensive assistant coach. Remember how good our defence was last year when that was the only thing hook coached them. Attacking structure what is that?

U reckon he would settle for a demotion?:laugh:

Griffin didn't need to worry about tactics for the players when he had a general like Lockyer on the field.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Mighty Bronx
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.