Gorden Tallis rips into the Brisbane Broncos

Where did I say anything about DCE and Smith?

I wasn't arguing anything about your pessimistic outlook, rather Dex's criticism that management wasn't proactive.

Corey Oates. He's not quite Boyd Cordner IMO, but he's far better than Guera.

Oates is the next ..... (lest I stand accused of being repetitive, if 100% accurate)

6 tries in 8 games including one where Uata had real difficulty catching him.

Yes, he dropped a ball, and yes, he mis-read one or 2 defensive moves but hey, he is 18 AND this is 1 plaudit to Griffin for keeping him in the top side (although I suspect Griffin had no choice)

IMO, he needs to stay on the wing next year with Hoffman on the other - get lean and mean, get some speed happening, timing, support play before we move him into the centres and nick name him (S)miles

Last edited:
Our production of forwards was definitely a problem but it looks to have been remedied. I don't know what it was, but the batch from 92-93 didn't really deliver anything.

Oates is the next ..... (lest I stand accused of being repetitive, if 100% accurate)

6 tries in 8 games including one where Uata had real difficulty catching him.

Yes, he dropped a ball, and yes, he mis-read one or 2 defensive moves but hey, he is 18 AND this is 1 plaudit to Griffin for keeping him in the top side (although I suspect Griffin had no choice)

IMO, he needs to stay on the wing next year with Hoffman on the other - get lean and mean, get some speed happening, timing, support play before we move him into the centres and nick name him (S)miles

I wasn't complaining about him or anything. I disagree about him playing on the wing for a couple of reasons though - firstly, his defence there is pretty bad. Secondly, I think we'd want him developing as a forward, and since centres and second rowers are almost the same thing at the Broncos, that's as wide as I'd move him.

It's not about who's just leaving but who's arriving. Again, if you think management would have sat on their hands for that amount of time only for Barba, Milford and co. to decide they wanted to head up north would be very naive.

I'm with you Pete , sounds like a lot of people are losing faith in this great club . There is definitely a plan in place and has been for awhile , plan a was to bring our exciting juniors through but injuries and player's moving on and some not living up to potential made this unrealistic. Plan b , buy some star player's and build around them . So for mine 2015 / 2016 will be the seasons when we get back to being a powerhouse.

Where did I say anything about DCE and Smith?

I wasn't arguing anything about your pessimistic outlook, rather Dex's criticism that management wasn't proactive.

Sorry Pete I can't agree that the management were proactive, unless somehow they managed to manipulate Barbas partner into moving north.
I am so glad that he is coming but it doesn't change anything at the top, they got lucky. It was only the start of the year when Griffin said we don't need to go outside the club they were his intentions.

I want to see Griffin make changes in the off season to convince me that he is up to being an NRL coach, the first one being to offload Kearney.

Last edited:
I agree with almost everything except the part about no one in the current team making a 25 year team, both Hodges and Parker would be there or thereabouts.

I'm not saying that they were proactive, I'm saying it doesn't matter in this case.

The club planned for it and made it happen yet won't get the credit they deserve.

Watching Gorden on Nrl 360 i think its clear he is very passionate about whats going on at the broncos. He made a good point that a lot of the decisions that have led us to where we are now is thanks to Griffin eg. sticking with his 20's players and not chasing any marquee stars. I really hope the writing is on the wall for griffin.

I wasn't complaining about him or anything. I disagree about him playing on the wing for a couple of reasons though - firstly, his defence there is pretty bad. Secondly, I think we'd want him developing as a forward, and since centres and second rowers are almost the same thing at the Broncos, that's as wide as I'd move him.

I have no issues with what you say at all.

I just have this entirely irrational belief that Oates will be something special

Watching Gorden on Nrl 360 i think its clear he is very passionate about whats going on at the broncos. He made a good point that a lot of the decisions that have led us to where we are now is thanks to Griffin eg. sticking with his 20's players and not chasing any marquee stars. I really hope the writing is on the wall for griffin.

Walters was very coy too wasn't he. Obviously he isn't going to say too much given he's still with the Storm but still......

Dropped a few subtle hints about wanting to coach there. He sidestepped Ikins question fairly well regarding surrounding Griffin with decent staff. I felt Ikin was alluding to him being one of them and if he would be up for it.

I agree with almost everything except the part about no one in the current team making a 25 year team, both Hodges and Parker would be there or thereabouts.

Totally agree. The 25 year team named was a grand final team anyway. The only premiership Hodges won at the Broncos was in 2006 and he was fullback. There's no way he's going to displace Lockyer. But if you were to name an alltime 25 year team, surely Hodges would partner Renouf in the centres. I even think Parker would get a bench spot, if not a starting spot.

tallis, without using the exact words, said griffin has to go.

Totally agree. The 25 year team named was a grand final team anyway. The only premiership Hodges won at the Broncos was in 2006 and he was fullback. There's no way he's going to displace Lockyer. But if you were to name an alltime 25 year team, surely Hodges would partner Renouf in the centres. I even think Parker would get a bench spot, if not a starting spot.

I rate Hodges with the best centres of all time. He is also immune to Griffin. Unlike say Maranta which Hodges made pretty obvious.

Walters was very coy too wasn't he. Obviously he isn't going to say too much given he's still with the Storm but still......

Dropped a few subtle hints about wanting to coach there. He sidestepped Ikins question fairly well regarding surrounding Griffin with decent staff. I felt Ikin was alluding to him being one of them and if he would be up for it.

Yeah must admit i got the same sort of vibe. I think he was very vague yet somewhat forthright about his ambitions to rejoin the club and see it move forward. Surely the Broncos administration will have to take into consideration the views and opinions of some of the elder statesman about future direction, whether that means a new coach who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with everything Gordie said and if the club don' take heed of his words, then they've lost the plot.

Griffin's rebuttal in the CM

"Everyone is singing like canaries so we will just let them go," he said.
"When you are not getting results you will get people who want to criticise. We are fair game at the moment.
"There's plenty of people talking out there. We are where we are.
"There are a lot of different answers (to what went wrong), we could speculate about it all day.
"We've got some things wrong this year but you can never question the players' commitment."

"I'm hurting as much as anyone in the place," Griffin said.
"This is something I have never been involved with as a coach, being outside the playoffs.
"We will cop what we have to cop at the moment.
"We will look at everything. It is a knife edge. If we won a couple of close games that we were involved in we would be talking about next week's finals.
"It is a matter of having a clear head, sitting down and analysing things. We will do that internally."

No Cookies | The Courier-Mail

The article also emphasises an end of season review.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosarethebest
  • GCBRONCO
  • mrslong
  • I bleed Maroon
  • LittleDavey
  • Battler
  • Wolfie
  • Dazza 92
  • Alec
  • Johnny92
  • TimWhatley
  • Santa
  • Harry Sack
  • Gaz
  • Allo
  • The Strapper
  • Dash
  • Jazza
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.