Gorden Tallis rips into the Brisbane Broncos

I think Tallis was asked about the 'feud' on Monday Night with Matty Johns once, and he said that Wayne didn't like people that spoke up, something that Tallis said he does.

Whether that's all it was about is another thing though.

The only people I have heard talking up Corey Norman was the media. He is their love child for some reason.

And were Ben Hunt, McCullough, Gillett and Glenn ever future superstars to begin with? A bad habit I have noticed with broncos fans is they tend to really talk up new players who show a glimpse of potential. They compare them to current superstars and say they are going to be this or that. And then when they turn out to be the average player they were supposed to be the fans bag the player and coach. Maybe if some fans had realistic expectations to begin with it would be easier to swallow for them.

Last edited:
The only people I have heard talking up Corey Norman was the media. He is their love child for some reason.

And were Ben Hunt, McCullough, Gillett and Glenn ever future superstars to begin with? A bad habit I have noticed with broncos fans is they tend to really talk up new players who show a glimpse of potential. They compare them to current superstars and say they are going to be this or that. And then when they turn out to be the average player they were supposed to be the fans bag the player and coach. Maybe if some fans had realistic expectations to begin with it would be easier to swallow for them.

McCullough and Gillett were definitely talked up as future stars. Hunt might have been before he made his NRL debut, but after a few games no one really rated him.

When a club like the Broncos misses out on the finals, you can expect an article like this. It isn't a 100% accurate and isn't entirely fair but it does touch on a couple of home truths and mistakes that the current administration has made.

However, I feel like Gordie has ignored some of the changes the club has made for 2014. The bulk of his argument seems to focus on the roster, yet the Broncos have made various changes across the past couple of months.

It's a good piece otherwise and he has made a couple of points members on here have been making for years now but I question the timing of it.

I wonder if Locky will offer up a rebuttal?

Can you help me out with the changes for 2014 Pete?

IN: Ben Barba, Martin Kennedy & (most likely) Anthony Milford

OUT: Peter Wallace, Scott Prince, Corey Norman

Don't know about you but those are positive changes.

McCullough and Gillett were definitely talked up as future stars. Hunt might have been before he made his NRL debut, but after a few games no one really rated him.

It's hard to rate someone when really they aren't being utilised to their full potential, Hunt was definitely considered one of the best talents coming through the under 20's during his time there and a lot of people here (and its obvious the feeling exists elsewhere in the league community) thought the good intentions of giving Hunt first grade experience on the bench actually hampered his development whereas he would have been better spending time in the Queensland cup. Often when he did get the odd game at halfback the opinion of him as a player was evaluated purely on the odd game there, no real feel for him of any chance to build consistency in that position so you couldn't really say he was upto it or not, I still don't know if you can do even with this run, next season will be a far better indication.

Last edited:

Hinges a lot though on the Barba situation not ending up a complete mess and hoping Milford actually does get released and signed. Otherwise it could be a real negative.

Yeah I agree with reservation, in that the club didn't make those changes from being proactive. They only axed Wal because they knew they were getting Barba, they lost Norman because of a bigger offer, and Prince just was not the future. We still don't have Milford so as I posted before atm we only have 1 half for next year.

Yeah I agree with reservation, in that the club didn't make those changes from being proactive. They only axed Wal because they knew they were getting Barba, they lost Norman because of a bigger offer, and Prince just was not the future. We still don't have Milford so as I posted before atm we only have 1 half for next year.

Yeah then we have to consider either looking at playing someone out of our current squad out of position or bringing in someone from either the under 20's or the Qld Cup, hardly ideal. As much as I want the best case scenario to happen, I'm not going to lock it down just yet, wouldn't take much to get ugly.

Last edited:
It's not about who's just leaving but who's arriving. Again, if you think management would have sat on their hands for that amount of time only for Barba, Milford and co. to decide they wanted to head up north would be very naive.

My other concern is the lack of emerging forwards. The Tits have bought Ryan James along nicely as the Roosters have with Aiden Guera and Boyd Cordner.
We don't stick with any of our younger guys for long enough, Jarrod Wallace looked good in a couple of games but that's all he gets.
If your going to have a rebuilding year or 2 then do it, pick tour best prospects and get them ready don't sit them on the bench and give them 7 mins here and there.

My other concern is the lack of emerging forwards. The Tits have bought Ryan James along nicely as the Roosters have with Aiden Guera and Boyd Cordner.
We don't stick with any of our younger guys for long enough, Jarrod Wallace looked good in a couple of games but that's all he gets.
If your going to have a rebuilding year or 2 then do it, pick tour best prospects and get them ready don't sit them on the bench and give them 7 mins here and there.

Corey Oates. He's not quite Boyd Cordner IMO, but he's far better than Guera.

Francis Molo will be ready for his debut next season and he will definitely be one to keep an eye on, depending how injuries pan out we could see Oates spending time there and that would be great to see, there are others in the mix too I'm not too concerned there tbh, definitely agree on the rotation though.

I don't know how you ended up with that interpretation symbolsoup.

My point is that these dealings extend further than what's been reported and were clearly a focus for the club. Criticisms of them being opportunistic as opposed to proactive just scream of nit-picking and not giving credit where it's due. We landed the 2012 Dally M medalist folks, enjoy it!

It's not about who's just leaving but who's arriving. Again, if you think management would have sat on their hands for that amount of time only for Barba, Milford and co. to decide they wanted to head up north would be very naive.

I don't think its naive to be concerned that things may come out worse then expected at least for next season and thats all I'm saying, there's certainly some concerns over Barba's immediate future with what results from all of this, Milford is no certainty for 2014 either, DCE or Smith would be great but again not next year. Naive would be to assume that all our top cards will just fall into our lap.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Footy Fanatic
  • marw
  • lynx000
  • RolledOates
  • whykickamoocow
  • Bucking Beads
  • GCBRONCO
  • Brocko
  • Financeguy
  • Allo
  • HarryAllan7
  • Fozz
  • Foordy
  • Fatboy
  • Strop
  • LittleDavey
  • Jazza
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.