Gorden Tallis rips into the Brisbane Broncos

Well fat chance of Griffin going the same way. He was smart enough to woo all the players, even if he wasn't smart enough to actually coach them.

With the exception of parts of the recruitment section, I also agree with Gordie and I believe he does it from the hurt of seeing the club he loves have the worst season ever.

But if you're gonna (justifiably) bag the club for all of that, at the very least take circumstances into account, like the worst backline injury toll... ever, or the fact that Thurston or Cronk were never gonna be lured away, DCE was never on the open market, Norman threw a tantrum about being moved out of 5/8 were he stunk the place, only to become a heartless fullback... until he was justifiably demoted, and the fact that Gagai repeatedly breached the club's rules, which eventually forced the Broncos hand. None of that can be blamed on the Broncos staff.

Also, I certainly think that Hodges and Parker would come close to the team of the last 25 years...

With the exception of parts of the recruitment section, I also agree with Gordie and I believe he does it from the hurt of seeing the club he loves have the worst season ever.

But if you're gonna (justifiably) bag the club for all of that, at the very least take circumstances into account, like the worst backline injury toll... ever, or the fact that Thurston or Cronk were never gonna be lured away, DCE was never on the open market, Norman threw a tantrum about being moved out of 5/8 were he stunk the place, only to become a heartless fullback... until he was justifiably demoted, and the fact that Gagai repeatedly breached the club's rules, which eventually forced the Broncos hand. None of that can be blamed on the Broncos staff.

Also, I certainly think that Hodges and Parker would come close to the team of the last 25 years...

I agree with you, but that bit there isn't all that caused him to leave, as we all know. Prince signing and being here for (at that time) '13 & '14 meant Norman probably wouldn't play 6 until '15. He got the chance to play 6 a year earlier and for a lot more money. Can't blame him for taking it, even at Parra (LOL). I'm still happy to see him go, but he could still be a very big 'what if' imo

EDIT: what I'm saying is he didn't get the chance to play 6 this year. Which was a mistake. It caused his terrible FB form and subsequent Parra deal

Last edited:
Also, I don't think that column was that hard to write seeing you seem to love bagging the broncos at every chance you get currently

It needs to be said.

All the other former Broncos players are too gutless to say anything to the media, about how shit we have become.

Gordie always gave 100% in every game he played, not like most this current team, who only seem to give 10%.

I agree with you, but that bit there isn't all that caused him to leave, as we all know. Prince signing and being here for (at that time) '13 & '14 meant Norman probably wouldn't play 6 until '15. He got the chance to play 6 a year earlier and for a lot more money. Can't blame him for taking it, even at Parra (LOL). I'm still happy to see him go, but he could still be a very big 'what if' imo

EDIT: what I'm saying is he didn't get the chance to play 6 this year. Which was a mistake. It caused his terrible FB form and subsequent Parra deal

I disagree ... he was poor at 5/8 last year. developing as a fullback wouldn't be bad for his long term career. I mean it was good enough for Lockyer, so it should certainly be good enough for Norman.

I also think the Prince signing wasn't that bad. part of the reason our halves played out the year is because we had no-one to replace them, and adding competition for spots is never a bad thing IMO.

Both Norman and Hunt had the chance to secure halves spots in the trials and were out played by Prince.

Always amuses me when former greats of a club just take potshots from a distance. Especially when they are making Captain Obvious comments like Tallis has. He has been doing this since Henjak was coach by the way.

Like Kaz said, it needs to be said publicly. Most ex players are reluctant to voice their true opinion because they don't want to bag the club.
If a bit of public pressure is what it takes to get some action then it's a good thing.

Last edited:
Always amuses me when former greats of a club just take potshots from a distance. Especially when they are making Captain Obvious comments like Tallis has. He has been doing this since Henjak was coach by the way.

That wasn't a potshot or some snide remark at the end of an article. It was a well written opinion piece. The points might be obvious to us here who live and breathe the Broncos but it doesnt hurt the wider rugby league audience hearing his thoughts.

Would you rather Tallis write articles telling us how Griffin is the right man for the job and everything is rosey?

This is probably more of what I was getting at in my original comment. I understand that gordie is hurting and I have always respected gordie, but if I wanted to read an emotional rant ignoring most of the facts then I would just go on to any fan site, not read the column of someone who is paid for his intellectual input.

My point being is that there is plenty to complain about with this current situation, but just clearly ignoring facts does nothing but give opposition fans ammunition and the administration your attacking cause to write you off as an emotional twat who doesn't know the facts.

I did say he was being paid "a lot more money" by going to Parra

That wasn't a potshot or some snide remark at the end of an article. It was a well written opinion piece. The points might be obvious to us here who live and breathe the Broncos but it doesnt hurt the wider rugby league audience hearing his thoughts.

Would you rather Tallis write articles telling us how Griffin is the right man for the job and everything is rosey?

Not at all, I want him to give an honest assessment without going overboard and ignoring the facts. Like I and a few others have already said, there is plenty to bag which he did, but then going on to just ignorantly whinge helps no-one.

When he starts saying 'not 1 of this current team would of got close to the top team of the last 25 years' is just offensive to hodges and parker.

When he says 'we have lost great players like norman and beale' I hope he's joking, or he doesn't actually watch our games.

When he talks about losing gagai and completely ignores the fact that they continuously tried to fix his attitude and without the kick in the pants of getting the arse to wake him up, he would still be sulking around and missing training.

Ignoring the fact that DCE was never on the open market, that thurston wasn't leaving the cowboys and that cooper cronk only used the market to feed his ego, once again achieves nothing.

Now everything else are great points and i'm glad he has made these publicly, but continuing on to an emotional rant just makes all his great points lose credibility IMHO

My concern with all this talk about getting the 'Old Boys' in here to help is that they may not necessarily be the best people to be giving advice as to how to run a football club. If you have opinionated ex-players at loggerheads with business-minded staff & coaching staff, then we really do end up like Parra.

I'm all for them being brought in in mentoring roles (hey Gordie, why don't you become Thaiday's personal trainer???), in fact that would be ideal in terms of bringing the old culture back to the club. But don't let them come in and go messing with how the business side of things are done. Is Gee actually a good recruitment officer? Is Langer better value to the club in the promotional side? Or would both be better suited to having a stronger hand in mentoring players (or carrying the water...) and leave those roles up to the people who know better?

I did say he was being paid "a lot more money" by going to Parra

Yeah, I re-read your post, realised that was part of your argument, so deleted my post.

It needs to be said.

All the other former Broncos players are too gutless to say anything to the media, about how **** we have become.

Gordie always gave 100% in every game he played, not like most this current team, who only seem to give 10%.

Not true, Glenn Lazarus said on the ""Salty"" show 2 nights ago that a broom needed to be swept through the place on and off the field, Tony Currie and Mick Hancock have expressed their concerns on the same show (along with countless fans). My former Bronco mate tells everyone and sundry of what he thinks of the current crop of stumblebums. Most are embarrassed and outraged that it has come to this amazingly low level of futility. I said 2 months ago that Hook wouldn'"t survive the summer and he most definitely won""t, no one can survive a 13th place finish, 5 games under .500 on a club which used to be known as the Montreal Canadiens, NY Yankees, Man United of rugby league. What these pack of clowns have reduced this club to is almost criminal. Changes will be made and it will almost be immediate. Will be an interesting off season.

Not at all, I want him to give an honest assessment without going overboard and ignoring the facts. Like I and a few others have already said, there is plenty to bag which he did, but then going on to just ignorantly whinge helps no-one.

When he starts saying 'not 1 of this current team would of got close to the top team of the last 25 years' is just offensive to hodges and parker.

When he says 'we have lost great players like norman and beale' I hope he's joking, or he doesn't actually watch our games.

When he talks about losing gagai and completely ignores the fact that they continuously tried to fix his attitude and without the kick in the pants of getting the arse to wake him up, he would still be sulking around and missing training.

Ignoring the fact that DCE was never on the open market, that thurston wasn't leaving the cowboys and that cooper cronk only used the market to feed his ego, once again achieves nothing.

Now everything else are great points and i'm glad he has made these publicly, but continuing on to an emotional rant just makes all his great points lose credibility IMHO

But thats why its an opinion piece, he obviously believes the points he has even if you don't. Just because you don't agree with his points on Norman and Beale (and i do not agree with Tallis either) does not make them an emotional rant.

If i state that i don't rate McCullough even though most here wouldnt agree with me it is not an emotional rant on my behalf, its just what i think.

In regards to DCE, Thurston, Cronk i think his point was in his heyday at the Broncos they would have been easy targets to his point that people wanted to play at the Broncos, now we have no chance of signing them.

Don't stress if you only agree with 50% of someones point of view. If Tallis has Renouf and Miles or Darren Smith as his centres rather than Hodges its ok to disagree. :thumbup1:

Not true, Glenn Lazarus said on the ""Salty"" show 2 nights ago that a broom needed to be swept through the place on and off the field, Tony Currie and Mick Hancock have expressed their concerns on the same show (along with countless fans). My former Bronco mate tells everyone and sundry of what he thinks of the current crop of stumblebums. Most are embarrassed and outraged that it has come to this amazingly low level of futility. I said 2 months ago that Hook wouldn'"t survive the summer and he most definitely won""t, no one can survive a 13th place finish, 5 games under .500 on a club which used to be known as the Montreal Canadiens, NY Yankees, Man United of rugby league. What these pack of clowns have reduced this club to is almost criminal. Changes will be made and it will almost be immediate. Will be an interesting off season.

Someone was really allowed to criticise the Broncos on the 'Sports Today' show on 4bc ? I'm surprised the host and #1 'cheerleader' Salter P'Peters didn't hit the "mute" button and terminate the interview immediately ...

But thats why its an opinion piece, he obviously believes the points he has even if you don't. Just because you don't agree with his points on Norman and Beale (and i do not agree with Tallis either) does not make them an emotional rant.

If i state that i don't rate McCullough even though most here wouldnt agree with me it is not an emotional rant on my behalf, its just what i think.

In regards to DCE, Thurston, Cronk i think his point was in his heyday at the Broncos they would have been easy targets to his point that people wanted to play at the Broncos, now we have no chance of signing them.

Don't stress if you only agree with 50% of someones point of view. If Tallis has Renouf and Miles or Darren Smith as his centres rather than Hodges its ok to disagree. :thumbup1:

I don't have a problem with him having an opinion, but you have just picked out the bits of my argument that suit yours.

Ok, yes. He gordans opinion those guys might of been better centres, but there is no need to say would not get close, cos in relation to hodgo that's just utter crap. To ignore the circumstances around gagai is stupid. They way that article reads he wasn't saying blokes like thurston, Cronk etc would have just come and played for the broncos, he writes it like they were actual viable recruits and the administration have just, nup!

Don't get me wrong I want changes as much as anybody, for the first time ever I'm pretty numb to the thought of watching our final game and will watch out of duty and nothing else, so believe me I want changes.

My point is that he has the opportunity to make a real point by making concise, well thought out/researched points. But that whole article reads like he had had too many rums and wanted to vent. If I was white and read that article I'd just dismiss it and say Righto have another beer Gordie cos it lost credibility.

Once again I love his passion and is one of the many things I have always admired about Gordie, but when your writing a column you have the chance to proofread it to make sure you are getting your message across. If he wants to have passionate, rum fueled rants then come and join us on here Gordie :)

Active Now

• Footy Fanatic
  • kiwi2
  • Harry Sack
  • Big Del
  • Xzei
  • theshed
  • Broncosgirl
  • Santa
  • Cavalo
  • GCBRONCO
  • Dash
  • Midean
  • Sproj
  • Adammacca
  • BruiserMk1
  • Gaz
  • IceWorks
  • FACTHUNT
  • johnny plath
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.