Gorden Tallis rips into the Brisbane Broncos

My concern with all this talk about getting the 'Old Boys' in here to help is that they may not necessarily be the best people to be giving advice as to how to run a football club. If you have opinionated ex-players at loggerheads with business-minded staff & coaching staff, then we really do end up like Parra.

I'm all for them being brought in in mentoring roles (hey Gordie, why don't you become Thaiday's personal trainer???), in fact that would be ideal in terms of bringing the old culture back to the club. But don't let them come in and go messing with how the business side of things are done. Is Gee actually a good recruitment officer? Is Langer better value to the club in the promotional side? Or would both be better suited to having a stronger hand in mentoring players (or carrying the water...) and leave those roles up to the people who know better?

Agree Langer should be wearing footy shorts and boots to work not a suite.

Agree Langer should be wearing footy shorts and boots to work not a suite.

bloody oath, lounge suites are bloody heavy and would have to cause some kind of back damage eventually.

*just joking I know you meant suit :P*

My point is that he has the opportunity to make a real point by making concise, well thought out/researched points. But that whole article reads like he had had too many rums and wanted to vent. If I was white and read that article I'd just dismiss it and say Righto have another beer Gordie cos it lost credibility.

That's pretty much what they have been doing for the last 2 years, business as usual we know where we are going, all the critics will eat their words, be patient and you will see.
It's BS, they are further away than when they started with Griifin. We don't even have a halves pairing for next year at this point.

That's pretty much what they have been doing for the last 2 years, business as usual we know where we are going, all the critics will eat their words, be patient and you will see.
It's BS, they are further away than when they started with Griifin. We don't even have a halves pairing for next year at this point.

I completely agree, I guess my point is I don't believe this kind of thinking is helping the cause.

Tallis's piece did read like a forum rant and truthfully most of what he wrote has been written here before. The big difference is the audience. Gorden is speaking to the masses and taking advantage of the job as a media personality so we owe him our thanks. It is actions like his that will provoke behind the scenes actions. He has given voice to the person in the street and I'd guess very few will disagree with him. Like others have said though, he forgot Parker and Hodges and I'm sure he would not leave them out if he had a chance for a revision.

Only now can others see the devastating effects of the terrible decision to dump Wayne Bennett. True, many other bad decisions were made after that fateful one but they were consequential and not the heart of the matter. We didn't just lose one of the greatest coaches, our aura walked out the door with him. We became also rans the very next day. Now we are learning what it is like to support a club with virtually no chance for the foreseeable future.

Tallis's piece did read like a forum rant and truthfully most of what he wrote has been written here before. The big difference is the audience. Gorden is speaking to the masses and taking advantage of the job as a media personality so we owe him our thanks. It is actions like his that will provoke behind the scenes actions. He has given voice to the person in the street and I'd guess very few will disagree with him. Like others have said though, he forgot Parker and Hodges and I'm sure he would not leave them out if he had a chance for a revision.

Only now can others see the devastating effects of the terrible decision to dump Wayne Bennett. True, many other bad decisions were made after that fateful one but they were consequential and not the heart of the matter. We didn't just lose one of the greatest coaches, our aura walked out the door with him. We became also rans the very next day. Now we are learning what it is like to support a club with virtually no chance for the foreseeable future.

This kind of thing is what I am disappointed about, he had plenty of time for revision

That wasn't a potshot or some snide remark at the end of an article. It was a well written opinion piece. The points might be obvious to us here who live and breathe the Broncos but it doesnt hurt the wider rugby league audience hearing his thoughts.

Would you rather Tallis write articles telling us how Griffin is the right man for the job and everything is rosey?

If it pains him to see his club in this situation why doesn't he go and help out? Have a chat to Lui, Dodds, Tasi, Oates etc? Or he can stay on foxsports and keep commenting about how the club is going down the drain.

It's good to see someone willing to put out their opinion and no doubt he will be criticized for them as some of you are already. It's probably not 100% accurate but it does bring to light the issues with the Broncos that the general public might not be aware of. Credit for that at least.

#sosprince

:sad:

If it pains him to see his club in this situation why doesn't he go and help out? Have a chat to Lui, Dodds, Tasi, Oates etc? Or he can stay on foxsports and keep commenting about how the club is going down the drain.

Unfortunately Fox Sports pay his wages.

I'd love to see Tallis more active with the club like you suggest, hopefully that would happen in the future but its a two way street.

Love this from big Gordie.

At the end of the day, he's just like us - another extremely frustrated fan. Difference is, he can reach a much wider audience than we can on BHQ, and hopefully put some pressure on the club to realise that things aren't the way they should be.

I say this every time I make a post about Gordie - wouldn't it be great if some of our players showed even half the passion he did during his time at the Broncs.

Nicely said Gordie.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Maybe that's because we've been shit (mostly anyway) since Henjak was here.

So when Rabbitohs forward coach he's allowed to say whatever he wants? I don't remember the Souths forwards going too well while he was there.

I get the feeling that Tallis isn't exactly welcome back at Broncoland.

Might have something to do with his ongoing feud with Bennett .... who knows ??

One thing though, he does still have a Bronco heart, and only wants the club to succeed and get back on top of the ladder.

Where did this feud begin, and why?

Wasn't it something to do with Tallis blowing up when Bennett sacked Walters, Lazo and Belcher from the coaching staff back in 05?

If so Bennett had the last laugh walking around with the 06 trophy.

Bennett seems to think it stemmed from Gordie's last game where he benched him.

Tallis seems to have strange relationships with his coaches. Likes to bag out Bennett & Smith any chance he has.

Its a shame because before whatever happened he was very close to Bennett.

I still remember a quote he said on the footy show and it was something along the lines of if Tallis lived 20 lifetimes he'd like Wayne Bennett in all of them.

Hopefully time can heal this fued, especially if one day Bennett does come back to the Broncos.

Active Now

• TwoLeftFeet
  • Sproj
  • Hurrijo
  • heartly87
  • FACTHUNT
  • Kev_Guz
  • BroncoFan94
  • Yellowfella
  • cento
  • Allo
  • BruiserMk1
  • Dee
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Robboi_321
  • Aldo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Morkel
  • Wolfie
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • Gaz
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.