PRE-GAME Grand Final - Broncos vs Cowboys v

Re: Grand Final - Broncos vs Cowboys

I guarantee you this, if JT is even at 60%, the book keepers are way off.

Because he'd literally be a half.

Wouldn't being half a halfback make him a quarterback? Suck it, Hayne enthusiasts, JT is a better player in a more important gridiron role even though he's still in the NRL.

This game could not have been scripted any better.

The two best teams from the first week of the finals duking it out on the grandest stage of all. So many storylines, so many aspects to look for and so many expectations from both sets of fans.

I'll give you my original expectation.

Heading into this season, I thought it was the Cowboys year. There were only so many times they'd finish so close yet so far and out of all the sides that qualified for the finals last year, I thought the Cowboys made the most improvements. I really liked the signings of Granville, Hannant & O'Neil, I thought they all improved areas where the Cowboys struggled and would help out JT. In concert, they had a number of younger players like Taumalolo, Asiata, Lowe, Moga, King etc who I thought would only get better and everything was coming up North Queensland.

Even as late as July, I had a Cowboys/Souths premiership penciled in.

However, something changed around late August that rocked the entire competition. On one evening, the Brisbane Broncos were able to go toe to toe with a red-hot Sydney Roosters outfit and although they may have lost, it was apparent the Broncos were learning very quickly on the job.

A week later, jackpot. After an absolutely embarrassing 6-36 loss, the Broncos went to Allianz and produced one of the performances of the season, defeating the defending premiers 47-12.

It was the confidence boost the team needed and put them in great stead for the final.

Qualifying Final #2 and this game would change the course of the finals series. Win here and the Broncos put themselves in the box seat for the grand final. Lose and we're simply making up the numbers. After a tense game, Kodi Nikorima comes onto the field and produces a play he was destined to make. Scheming out of dummy half, Kodi catches his markers out before hearing a familiar cry from a person he's known for the better part of his life. It's Anthony Milford, the boy who always wanted to be a Bronco tearing up the outside before blitzing the Cowboys defence for a trademark try.

In that instance everything changed.

My expectations, shattered.

Again *Boyd try*

and again *Hunt try*

and again *Milford try*

And here we are grand final week. If you're anything like me, you haven't been able to think straight all week. I've got so much work to get through, yet I constantly find myself thinking, what if? What if I'm there to see Hodges raise his finger in victory, one last time. What if I'm there to see Darius Boyd pick himself up from the lowest of lows and win. What if I get a chance to thank this team for producing some of the best Rugby League I've ever seen?

This is not an ordinary game.

This is a moment we're going to remember for the rest of our lives.

This is what Rugby League is all about.

A community of fans, all making sacrifices to go out and support in something they believe in. A team that has always been there, during their lives and offered that conversation breaker or moment of joy when we've all needed it.

Hopefully they get the reward they deserve.

Some people I've spoken to over the last few days seem to be very surprised by how far we've improved saying that we've come from nothing to this. I disagree, despite where we finished last season I thought there was some positive signs last year and the squad was starting to come together.

The favorites have won the past 8 GF's.

The last time outsiders won was 2006.

Some people I've spoken to over the last few days seem to be very surprised by how far we've improved saying that we've come from nothing to this. I disagree, despite where we finished last season I thought there was some positive signs last year and the squad was starting to come together.

i dont get why people would be all THAT surprised.

our forward pack is full of origin reps and internationals. our entire starting pack plays regular rep footy.

halfback had a breakout year last year and this year was partnered with arguably the most exciting talent in the game. we've added boyd who's been all class as expected at the back and macca has been dependable at hooker.

its a classy side.

Last edited:

i dont get why people would be all THAT surprised.

our forward pack is full of origin reps and internationals. our entire starting pack plays regular rep footy.

halfback had a breakout year last year and this year was partnered with arguably the most exciting talent in the game. we've added boyd who's been all class as expected at the back and macca has been dependable at hooker.

its a classy side.

Absolutely correct. We've had the individual talent, just not the team cohesion. What we're seeing now at a skill level (Milford excluded of course) isn't any different to previous years. The difference is belief & communication.

If we play as we did against the Roosters in the prelim, i can't see the Cows beating us.

Despite the dreadful 2012-2014 seasons, I still truly believed that the Broncos could be top 4 contenders with small changes to the squad.

The main changes since then have been acquiring a first-class coach and a first-class five-eighth, which we obviously have in Bennett and Milford.

What I have truly admired about Bennett's coaching this year has been his ability to bring in Boyd and Blair once he was hired (Gavet missed out unfortunately) and keep the signings to a minimum while bettering the players we already had.

Dodds and Wallace have gone from average Queensland Cup regulars to solid and reliable NRL players. Reed and Maranta have both gone up several notches in quality. Thaiday has shed his laziness (and a few kilos) to become one of our best forwards, despite having to play in the front row during the toughest part of the year.

Personally, I feel that Gillett has been Bennett's most impressive player project this year. Even though he was an origin player, his attack was flaky at best, but his defense was good for 5 or 6 missed tackles a game. This year, his attack may not be blistering but it is certainly reliable, and he has gone from making 20-odd tackles a game to making well over 50 a game, missing only 1 or 2 at worst.

Though it would be devastating to lose on Sunday, Bennett's efforts to revolutionise this team this year have been unbelievably impressive. I can remember in the pre-season when Sterlo tipped us to finish 12th. Most Sydney journos tipped us to miss the finals, declaring that Bennett was finished as a coach, pointing to what he apparently caused at the Knights. Most Brisbane journos were a bit more optimistic, tipping us to finish 5th-7th or thereabouts.

Bennett has undoubtedly proved that he is the greatest of all time before this Sunday. Despite the calls of "he's finished" from Sydney, deep down, I'm sure that they feared that Brisbane would eventually become a powerhouse once again, with Bennett calling the shots.

Along with Queensland's 52-6 win in the Lang Park decider, the fact that Brisbane and North Queensland have been the two most consistent and impressive sides all year and will meet in the Grand Final makes me feel like I am living in one of Gus Gould's nightmares, which is my idea of a fantasy.

i really feel like we are going to win this.

broncos are now favourites on qld tab, sportsbet, centrebet, ladbrokes, just to check a few.

broncos are now favourites on qld tab, sportsbet, centrebet, ladbrokes, just to check a few.

That all started turning when Hodges was let off. Tab had it changed within about 2 minutes of him being found not guilty. I don't want to be confident. I can't be. I really see these two teams as the most equal grand final we've had in a long while.

Active Now

• Waynesaurus
  • Battler
  • Fozz
  • Allo
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Wolfie
  • Johnny92
  • Dexter
  • Xzei
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • Hurrijo
  • heartly87
  • broncoscope
  • simplythebest
  • The True King
  • the_next
  • Cavalo
  • Foordy
  • Painin the Haas
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.