Grand Final Discussion

Yep, was just as impressive on telly.

Hearing a lot of negative feedback on the grand final but watching the Storm apply the perfect game plan was entertaining from my POV. Dogs didn't play poorly at all.

the storm won so of course lots of people are going to say negative things about it. every game the storm could score 5 length of the field tries, put on a highlight reel of big tackles, have props kicking field goals, and certain people will still say theyre "boring" and that the match was bad.

i love rugby league as a game, and that was literally one of the best team performances ive ever seen. they knew exactly what they had to do to shut down the team they were playing, their gameplan was specific to playing against the bulldogs, and they just dominated both in attack and defence. for crying out loud, the bulldogs threw EVERYTHING at them and only scored 4 points and it was off a kick. the bulldogs! when was the last time the bulldogs got held to 4 points? ill tell you when - not in 2012. it was their lowest score of the year. ben barba was all but shut down completely by the defensive plan.

slaters try saving play on morris was incredible, especially given the magnitude of the game and the consequences if he doesnt pull it off. its up there with sattlers tackle for mine. and that play for slaters try....wow. the pass was just sublime.

it was a cracker of a game for rugby league fans. maybe not for broncos fans, maybe not for bulldogs fans, but for fans of the game of rugby league i dont see how anyone could be disappointed.

Last edited:
Anonymous Person said:
the storm won so of course lots of people are going to say negative things about it. every game the storm could score 5 length of the field tries, put on a highlight reel of big tackles, have props kicking field goals, and certain people will still say theyre "boring" and that the match was bad.

Sounds like a walk-over game so of course that's boring. :001_tt2:

841735-bulldog-bites-billy.jpg

And the linesman said nothing, what the f@ck was this bloke looking at, I mean he is 3 feet from it and he says nothing.

841735-bulldog-bites-billy.jpg

And the linesman said nothing, what the f@ck was this bloke looking at, I mean he is 3 feet from it and he says nothing.

Neither did he say anything about Slater coming in with the knees (as he has done for the past 5 years). Was a penalty try considered...

Slater didn't even really lead with the knees IMO. He basically pulled up so hi knees wouldn't hit Perrett.

Neither did he say anything about Slater coming in with the knees (as he has done for the past 5 years). Was a penalty try considered...

You gotta be joking right? He clearly attempted to avoid leading with the knees once he saw he was no chance of stopping him.

Neither did he say anything about Slater coming in with the knees (as he has done for the past 5 years).

Slater just rolled over the player to avoid hitting him with his foot or knees.

Bulldogs players assumed he used his knees & started the fight. (It could have been no try because of the fight starting)

Slater just rolled over the player to avoid hitting him with his foot or knees.

Bulldogs players assumed he used his knees & started the fight. (It could have been no try because of the fight starting)

Looked like trademark Billy Slater to me. If a player lead with his knees (and pulled up at any point) on any other part of the field it's close to a send off offence.

The refs response to the incident on-field was "I can't do anything about it, except refer it to the match review committee". If the refs truly followed the letter of the law (and didn't play the fairness/balanced result/just decisioncard) he should have considered a penalty try, because his reasoning indicated there was nothing else in the aftermath to award a penalty to the Storm. In his mind they were separate incidents.

PS - I'm not a James Graham sympathiser. I doubt the knees had anything to do with it - moreso just brain explosion in the heat of the fight but not acceptable. You have to take a measured approach to the incident though.

Dumb from Inu to niggle by pushing Slater off, the fight took the energy/momentum out of the try. I thought they were going to take it off the Bulldogs.

Wow. You really think Slater did anything wrong there? He was coming across to get the ball. When he realised Perrett was there first he did everything humanly possible to avoid dangerous contact with Perrett.

There was NOTHING in it.

Wow. You really think Slater did anything wrong there? He was coming across to get the ball. When he realised Perrett was there first he did everything humanly possible to avoid dangerous contact with Perrett.

There was NOTHING in it.

I'd like to hear the referree's view of it independent of the events that followed.

Looked like trademark Billy Slater to me. If a player lead with his knees (and pulled up at any point) on any other part of the field it's close to a send off offence.

The refs response to the incident on-field was "I can't do anything about it, except refer it to the match review committee". If the refs truly followed the letter of the law (and didn't play the fairness/balanced result/just decisioncard) he should have considered a penalty try, because his reasoning indicated there was nothing else in the aftermath to award a penalty to the Storm. In his mind they were separate incidents.

PS - I'm not a James Graham sympathiser. I doubt the knees had anything to do with it - moreso just brain explosion in the heat of the fight but not acceptable. You have to take a measured approach to the incident though.

Dumb from Inu to niggle by pushing Slater off, the fight took the energy/momentum out of the try. I thought they were going to take it off the Bulldogs.

Dude, what did Slater do to you? The referee comments about referring it to the match committee had nothing to do with the Slater knees non incident and the fact you think it's close to a send off offense is ridiculous.

Nothing like Slater, Burgess has his foot on Perrets chin, Slater did everything he could to avoid contact with his knees.

lol now ive seen it all in regards to slater-bashing.

blatantly making things up to say he shouldve been sent off etc lol. classic BHQ! he didnt lead with his knees or legs, there was absolutely nothing even remotely wrong with the tackle attempt.

"The refs response to the incident on-field was "I can't do anything about it, except refer it to the match review committee"."

yeh, but the incident that they were talking about was the biting allegation, not a supposed leading with the knees tackle lol.

I'm trying to discuss whether Slater's knees were the motivation for Graham's brainsnap.
you might as well be discussing whether Slaters spear tackle followed by an elbow drop was the motivation, because that happened just as much as "Slater's knees" did.

I'm trying to discuss whether Slater's knees were the motivation for Graham's brainsnap.

Well no, definitely not. Graham came in well after that, was nowhere near the initial incident. His was entirely as a response to the "bruhaha" between Slater, Inu and Stagg. IIRC, Graham came in when Slater jumped to his feet after Stagg pushed him down onto the ground.

Would Inu have pushed him if he didn't make contact? No.
Was the contact dangerous/illegal? No.
Is Inu a big skirt? Yes.

"The refs response to the incident on-field was "I can't do anything about it, except refer it to the match review committee"."

yeh, but the incident that they were talking about was the biting allegation, not a supposed leading with the knees tackle lol.

I realise that (read my post again).

The ref didn't make a comment about the knees, though I'd suggest he would have if the fight hadn't occured afterwards.

It's not Slater bashing. It's discussion on what motivated Graham to do something (allegedly) out of character.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Justwin
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • BroncosAlways
  • Battler
  • Wolfie
  • Strop
  • Organix
  • Redux
  • Allo
  • Brotherdu
  • Fatboy
  • broncsgoat
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Midean
  • winslow_wong
  • Volvo Driver
  • Xzei
  • Tim K
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
... and 34 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.